VOGONS

First post, by luc7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have an old DOS program that works great under DOSbox (windows) but fails to run on a DOSbox(linux) and the reason is it can't read data properly from its own configuration file.
(it fails to start with error: expecting an integer in configuration file)

That configuration file is simple ascii with a few numbers that I could confirm beyond doubts that it is 100% identical at byte level (using a hex viewer/editor) in both the linux machine and windows machine.
... to be sure I run on both by mounting from the very same pendrive (fat32) therefore the very same files. Problem persists.
and no doubt that what the file has represents integers, one per line as expected.

Everything else (that is expected to work) works well on this DOSbox on the linux machine so it is not something endemic to this installation (tried other linux machines... same problem)

Does anyone have a clue where to look for the explanation/solution ?

( DOSbox version 0.74 on both win7 and linux. )
( Program is an old (DOS5 era) scientific program that does calculations, text only, no graphics no sound )

tks.
luc

Reply 2 of 17, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it a matter of not finding the file or finding it but not reading from the file?
If the first I wonder if it could be some problem with case sensitivity in either the filename or directory, especially while mounting the directory. Or even some character that isn't interpreted the same way in Linux like a blank space or punctuation.
For example if you were to try to mount '/media/My Pendrive' and used that without quotations in the config, it would be looking for '/media/My' and not '/media/My Pendrive'
Or if you were to try use '/media/my pendrive' in your config, it would be looking for the case specific '/media/my pendrive', not '/media/My Pendrive'.

If the second, I can't think of anything.
EDIT:
As a thought if the file is small enough, you could try using 'TYPE filename' inside dosbox for windows and linux and see if it looks different.

Reply 5 of 17, by luc7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions, I did some more reasearch after your comments and
looks that it reads wrong data from the file.

The mount looks good, I mount this as drive D: and inside DOSbox all files are there perfectly well and accessible.
After mount all filenames show as uppercase inside DOSbox and the program reads the first config file well
then in reads the second config file and aborts saying "expecting an integer".

If I delete the file or change the name it correctly reports "cannot open file D:\WORK\CONF2.CFG"
when the file is there it reports "expecting an integer"

I can force this error to happen on the win7 DOSbox machine by inserting a non number on the config file,
for example: first line of the file contains: 1<cr><lf> and I make it: a1<cr><lf> and got that error which
makes perfect sense.

(it is not the crlf stuff it is exactly the same on both)

This leads me to the conclusion that on the linux machine this program reads something
strange from the file. But the file is the exact same as in the win7 DOSbox...
Very strange.

Thanks again for your ideas. I know this looks quite odd but if you come up with any ideas
I will be happy... in the mean time I will keep trying variations and changes to see if I bring more
light into this...

Reply 6 of 17, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually I think you may have found the problem.
If I remember correctly Linux doesn't interpret Carriage Return the same as Windows.
So in this case I suspect under Linux it's being read as 1 <some strange symbol> <lf> instead.
Perhaps if you tried creating a config file in Linux instead and see if it gets read correctly?
Or simply remove the carriage return and see if it works.
https://www.networkworld.com/article/3438857/ … s-on-linux.html

Though whether that file would read properly in dosbox/Windows is another matter.

Reply 7 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Or the routine that checks the validity of entry (number or not).
Works differently on linux vs windows (or 64 bit vs 32 bit).
So you might want to try the SVN code and compile that on linux if you are capable of doing that.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 17, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe difference in cpu emulation. maybe dynamic vs normal or something. maybe your app has self modifying code or something.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 11 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

except this is the support forum for dosbox. So don't go recommending/plugging forks when the svn hasn't been tried, as we don't provide support for those.

Reply 12 of 17, by luc7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow.
I have built the SVN from source as suggested and now all works 😀 ( Happy camper here... ).

What would be the reason ? (I could not find anything in the list of changes/improvements that hit the eye)
The version I had was the 0.74, was the last build I could find (maybe installed from the soft.manager... not sure).

Great, thanks Qbix.

Reply 13 of 17, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote on 2020-08-12, 18:23:

except this is the support forum for dosbox. So don't go recommending/plugging forks when the svn hasn't been tried, as we don't provide support for those.

Well, considering this is apparently not a Game, there is no support in any case, right?

Reply 14 of 17, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2020-08-12, 11:13:

CR/LF stuff wouldn't matter because DOSBox opens all files in binary mode.

If you're using a build of DOSBox installed by a package manager it's probably really old and out of date.

Well I had some weird issues with batch files in unix format. Luckily there is unix2dos 🤣

Reply 16 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
luc7 wrote on 2020-08-12, 21:21:
Wow. I have built the SVN from source as suggested and now all works :-) ( Happy camper here... ). […]
Show full quote

Wow.
I have built the SVN from source as suggested and now all works 😀 ( Happy camper here... ).

What would be the reason ? (I could not find anything in the list of changes/improvements that hit the eye)
The version I had was the 0.74, was the last build I could find (maybe installed from the soft.manager... not sure).

Great, thanks Qbix.

probably the routine used to check for a number. I suspect some FPU call or something similar.

Reply 17 of 17, by luc7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote on 2020-08-13, 16:14:

probably the routine used to check for a number. I suspect some FPU call or something similar.

Yeap, it could be, I know for a fact this software requires FPU in hardware ( 8087 80287 or 80387 on machines before the 486), so all calculations go trough FPU.