VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NickA55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone - I have some FoxPro 2.6 DOS programs that I need to distribute to Windows 10 64 -bit systems. I've tested everything out in DOSBox and it works great. What I'd like to do is package everything up into a nice installer that installs DOSBox with my FoxPro program (I made it an executable), and creates a start menu icon and all of that. Has anyone done this before, or is this all going to be a manual process/script I create myself?

Reply 1 of 5, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From the DOSBox developers:

DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION

For running DOS applications like FoxPro, It is recommended to use something like vDos/vDosPlus or DOSBox-X instead.

Reply 2 of 5, by NickA55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Wengier wrote on 2020-08-12, 19:32:

From the DOSBox developers:

DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION

For running DOS applications like FoxPro, It is recommended to use something like vDos/vDosPlus or DOSBox-X instead.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Reply 3 of 5, by junglemontana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GOG basically does that when they sell old DOS games. But their installation tools are probably not publicly available.

While DOSbox is not desined to run non-games, if your software works well and your goals are not super professional, DOSbox can be a good choice as well.

Reply 5 of 5, by JosSchaars

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A further note: You can’t really test a multi-user application for consistency towards its databases.
dbDOS for instance once demonstrated record locking would work in a DOSBox mod. Bogus, since record locking of course also depends on the actual content on disk (not some cached data).
In a practical situation, more than one program instance could update index pages of a database at the ‘same’ time. It is extremely hard to validate such mechanism will work in 'real' live.