VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do you remember when you upgraded to dual core computers and when did you first saw the benefit in gaming ? I guess this started around 2006-2007, I was stuck with a single core processor until 2014, so I missed the party.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 1 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake3 did have SMP support back in 1999, but that's more for dual CPUs rather (NT4 was officially supported by Q3A). Quake 4 however did have early dual-core support in an early 2006 patch...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 3, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2020-08-15, 05:22:

Quake3 did have SMP support back in 1999, but that's more for dual CPUs rather (NT4 was officially supported by Q3A). Quake 4 however did have early dual-core support in an early 2006 patch...

Actually, Falcon 4.0 beat Quake 3 to it.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Jan 2001 with Quake 3

2XP3-700E@933 133Mhz bus X 7 1/4
Abit VP6

Honestly though didn't enable SMP much in Q3, FPS were higher in at 800x600 and below but didn't game at low resolutions if I didn't have to.

I did see a benefit with everything on the system since it had dual processors so anything else running on the system didn't interfere while gaming even though the games were limited to a single processor which you could change the affinity for which was nice.

Played around with UT on a dual PPro 200 sometime in 2000 but AFAIK Unreal 1 didn't support SMP.

Next processor that had multiple core was in 5-18-2007 C2D E6600, even then barely any games used multiple cores. I seem to remember Supreme Commander having support. UE3 games? Farcry 1, Serious Sam 2.

You probably need to look at 2008+ for a larger list. Mabye track when the game engines started adding support, included Vista on the game box, XBOX 360 ports, etc.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline