VOGONS

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's something very pecuilar.

I have a SCB-55 (Roland Daughterboard) and a DB50XG (Yamaha Daughterboard)

I have 2 MIDIs that are exclusive to each one that I can test:
Gentle Love shows off DB50XG's ability to play fret noise
All Stars shows off SCB-55's ability to have somewhat realistic clapping/applause.

So with these 2 MIDIs I KNOW if I'm playing the Daughterboard, and not defaulting to FM Synth or Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth of the host card.

Here's what I did:
Scenario 1
1) Popped in the SB16 (CT1740) + DB50XG
2) Confirmed DB50XG was working by playing "Gentle Love"
3) Turned off PC, swapped Daughterboards, changed nothing else
4) SCB-55 is silent 🙁
5) Removed SB16/SCB-55

Scenario 2
1) Popped in a PCI sound card + DB50XG
2) Confirmed DB50XG was working by playing "Gentle Love"
3) Turned off PC, swapped Daughterboards, changed nothing else
4) Confirmed SCB-55 was working by playing "All Stars"

So, this little experiment reveals that:
A) The SB16 card DOES work with daughterboards
B) The SCB-55 card IS working but
C) They don't work together.

I would think they would since I changed NOTHING other than swapping out the Daughterboards.

So... guess my question is, how do I get the SCB-55 to work with an ISA Sound Blaster? (I have 3 of them so far, 2 CT1740s, and a CT1790 and none of them work w/ the SCB-55).

Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 1 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is likely to be one of the most peculiar hardware problems I've ever heard of. After all the SCB-55 was designed to work on an ISA SB16 🙄

Considering the amount of troubleshooting and testing you've done so far, anything going wrong with the SB16 or the SCB-55 seems impossible.
I'm pretty sure your SCB-55 and at least one of your SB16 cards are working fine, so it should be safe to look for the error somewhere else.

Did you perform your tests on the Packard Bell R515, or the Dell GXpro, or both?

Reply 2 of 9, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tested the SCB-55 on both the PB and the Dell. Since the DB50xg was working on the Dell, no need to test on the PB.

I swear, my luck is just down right awful with these old rigs.

I paid thru the nose for a SCB-55/MPU-401AT combo off ebay yesterday. It'll be ~2 weeks before it arrives though. We'll see what comes of that.

Reply 3 of 9, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to update everyone,

I got another SCB-55, and this time THIS one WORKS w/ the SB16 😁 😁 😁

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 6 of 9, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Keropi, correct.

I actually have a DB50xg as well... but on some songs it just sounds ATROCIOUS!!! (And vice versa on the SCB-55 for songs composed for the DB50xg).

I have FF7 comming in the mail for the PC, I'll keep the DB50xg around for that... and well also because it's a nice little gem to break out for what it's strong at (drums and guitar flavors)

Reply 7 of 9, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried the SCB-55 on both the Sound Blaster 16 and the MPU-401AT, and I will unabashedly say that it sounds better on the MPU-401AT. The audio is a little clearer, probably because it isn't getting mixed with OPL, Digital and CD Audio output.

I would not have any more advanced Creative product than a non-PnP AWE32 n my system. Compatibility goes by the board, cheap OEM pulls flood the market, drivers become more trouble than they are worth.

Reply 8 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad to hear you got a non-flakey DB now 😁
And kudos to your great powers of endurance getting the SB16+SCB55 combo to work, I would have given up halfway through.
Now sit back and enjoy the music 😀

Reply 9 of 9, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh yeah, thanks guys.

I was stocked/stooked (spelling?) last night.

I hooked up the following last night:
DB50xg to the SB16 @ 300
SCB-55 to the MPU-401/AT @ 330

Ha, I'm in hog heaven. I can play FM Synth if I want to, or switch to either DB on a whim. Alll thru software w/o having to fiddle w/ hardware now.

I have a MT-32 in the mail too... hook that up to the MPU-401/AT and I think I'll be set for quite some time.