Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2120 of 5928, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Currently playing several games, depending on the mood:
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (GoG version). Never completed this one back in the day, trying to finish it without looking at walkthroughs.
- Doom 2016 in Ultraviolence. Nearing the end currently.
- Unreal: Return to NaPali. Just finished Unreal for the first time a few weeks ago, going after its sequel.
- Rise of the Triad 2015: Playing it for the first time.
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. Never completed this one back in the day, trying to finish it without looking at walkthroughs.
- Dark Forces. Applied the mods to the original engine to have mouselook and aim, the game is fantastic now.

Reply 2121 of 5928, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With my new Ryzen system up and running mainly playing the following:

-Doom 2016. I know, late to the party. Even with 1050ti card looks great, wish I was a natural at shooters.
-Witcher 2. So far only in the arena "free for all" combat. Seems easier than Witcher 1, graphics look good.
-Wolfenstein the New Order. Just got this, have yet to fire it up. Anyone vouch for it?

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 2122 of 5928, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
buckeye wrote on 2020-08-19, 20:46:
With my new Ryzen system up and running mainly playing the following: […]
Show full quote

-Doom 2016. I know, late to the party. Even with 1050ti card looks great, wish I was a natural at shooters.
-Witcher 2. So far only in the arena "free for all" combat. Seems easier than Witcher 1, graphics look good.
-Wolfenstein the New Order. Just got this, have yet to fire it up. Anyone vouch for it?

Doom 2016 is a modern classic. Wofenstein The New Order and Old Blood are very good. Steer clear of The New Colossus.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2123 of 5928, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Show full quote

I loved Wolfenstein The New Order. I also loved The Old Blood and The New Colossus. If you want to play them in timeline order, start with The Old Blood, but it's not critical that you do.

Not sure why The New Colossus gets panned, I thought it was just as entertaining as the other two. Lots more cutscenes but so what? The gameplay is just as good plus you get more storyline filler.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2125 of 5928, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote on 2020-08-19, 22:29:

I loved Wolfenstein The New Order. I also loved The Old Blood and The New Colossus. If you want to play them in timeline order, start with The Old Blood, but it's not critical that you do.

Not sure why The New Colossus gets panned, I thought it was just as entertaining as the other two. Lots more cutscenes but so what? The gameplay is just as good plus you get more storyline filler.

TNC's story, gameplay and pacing is significantly poorer than the others, that's all. It's not a bad game but it's not a good game either, in my opinion.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2126 of 5928, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm replaying StarCraft for the first time in 15 years or so. It's the original version (I still have my old CD) and I'm playing it on a CRT monitor like in the good old days.

Sound wise, I'm using an ESS AudioDrive 1868F under Win98 with the stock WDM drivers. It's amazing how well this card handles resampling from 22 KHz, which is what StarCraft uses. The game sounds super crisp.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2128 of 5928, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm playing Fallout New Vegas on my main PC. Hoping I will actually complete it this time, and maybe a couple of DLCs. Owned it since it released but only reached the Strip a couple of times. I think I met Benny one time. No idea about the story ending!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2130 of 5928, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't stop to play and replay Dune II with Dune Dynasty. It's so addictive (partially because it loads so fast. 😁 ).

Finally won again with the Atreides. By chance, the Fremen were not as useless. Maybe the enemy AI ignored them after a while ?

I don't know, but when I finally sent a large group of rocket launchers and siege tanks, most of the enemy bases were gone already.

That was way more fun than the time I survived for two days of gameplay on the 7 credits that a new harvester gives you, soldiers spawned from destroyed harvesters doing sucide attacks, and Fremen troopers...
On the Amiga 600. With floppy disks (6 of them). And the soundtrack that is either silence or monks chanting (I vastly prefer the PC version...)

Reply 2131 of 5928, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-08-22, 16:15:

I'm replaying StarCraft for the first time in 15 years or so. It's the original version (I still have my old CD) and I'm playing it on a CRT monitor like in the good old days.

Me too, except I'm more playing it for the first time because my PC in 1998 wasn't really up to the job. Have completed the Terran and Zerg episodes, up to Protoss mission 3.
Been using win95/win98 to test some DOSBox improvements and most of the time "testing" involves either Starcraft or Dune 2000. But D2K has a weird problem; every time I finish mission 1 (for any house) it goes back to the map screen and offers the same missions again, making it impossible to progress. Not sure if it's an emulation bug or maybe some sort of copy protection but I can't find any mention of it anywhere on the web.

Reply 2132 of 5928, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmarsh wrote on 2020-08-23, 11:58:

Me too, except I'm more playing it for the first time because my PC in 1998 wasn't really up to the job. Have completed the Terran and Zerg episodes, up to Protoss mission 3.

Nice! I've only jut started the Terran campaign, and I immediately remembered how good the story and the voice acting was. StarCraft was definitively ahead of its time, and not just in terms of gameplay.

But D2K has a weird problem; every time I finish mission 1 (for any house) it goes back to the map screen and offers the same missions again, making it impossible to progress. Not sure if it's an emulation bug or maybe some sort of copy protection but I can't find any mention of it anywhere on the web.

I'm not overly familiar with Dune2K, but that behavior sounds like it's trying to update some file with your progress but failing because it can't write to it, as if the file was read-only. Just a guess.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 2133 of 5928, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-08-23, 12:25:

Nice! I've only jut started the Terran campaign, and I immediately remembered how good the story and the voice acting was. StarCraft was definitively ahead of its time, and not just in terms of gameplay.

I have two main criticisms about it.
- Objectives that get added/changed during missions.
- New units get added without any explanation of their purpose/abilities, and even with trial-and-error it can be hard to understand what they do. The zerg defiler for instance has the ability to cast dark swarm. Visually it just makes a cloud of gas, it's basically only through luck that you can discover it shields units from projectile damage (but not physical or splash damage).

I'm not overly familiar with Dune2K, but that behavior sounds like it's trying to update some file with your progress but failing because it can't write to it, as if the file was read-only. Just a guess.

The hard disk is a single-file image on the host PC, there's no native filesystem involved. It's actually possible to save the game but very pointless since it's at the same point as a new game.

Reply 2134 of 5928, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmarsh wrote on 2020-08-23, 12:50:

I have two main criticisms about it.
- Objectives that get added/changed during missions.

I don't mind this too much, but I see how it can be annoying. Changing the objectives just when you think that you're done with a mission can feel a bit cheesy.

- New units get added without any explanation of their purpose/abilities, and even with trial-and-error it can be hard to understand what they do. The zerg defiler for instance has the ability to cast dark swarm. Visually it just makes a cloud of gas, it's basically only through luck that you can discover it shields units from projectile damage (but not physical or splash damage).

Agreed, and the manual isn't much help either. With regards to Dark Swarm, it just says "provides cover". I dislike vague descriptions like that.

Reply 2135 of 5928, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-08-23, 14:19:

I don't mind this too much, but I see how it can be annoying. Changing the objectives just when you think that you're done with a mission can feel a bit cheesy.

The issue I have is that resources can be pretty tight in some missions and you can end up spending them on units that aren't best suited to the ultimate goal.

Reply 2136 of 5928, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Started playing Middle-Earth : Shadow of Mordor, took about 5 hours to download and install in Steam, yay modern games! I reckon there's probably more than a few old games that I could install, play and finish in less than 5 hours .

Reply 2137 of 5928, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Outward. What a miserable experience it is. Obviously with poor gear in the start and strong enemies you keep on dying (or in this case, respawning) all the time, but the empty maps and a lot of running around makes it really dull. Oh, did I mention each story mission has a 3 (in-game) day cooling period! That means, when you finish a quest there won't be another available for 3 days and you are forced to wander around doing side quests and what not to kill time. Or you could just sleep, but that's pretty 90's. In fact, many of the games elements are from old dungeon crawlers (eating, drinking, item degradation). Except this time you're alone so there's nobody to heal you or watch your back. There wasn't a fast travel system between major cities before a DLC so that sucked too. It's a shame that such a mediocre game was made from a very interesting premise. 6/10.

Reply 2138 of 5928, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Shadow of Mordor - I bought that on release for some reason and took ~ 1 day to download, played it for ~ 1 hour before deciding it wasn't for me. Regrets.

@Outward - I was in love with this game for weeks! Points taken, it's slow, etc, but I found the wandering around and the environment and the simplicity really charming, and the combat gets more fun after a while. The novelty wore off after I left the first area though I must admit - harder enemies and generally less enjoyable. No regrets.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2139 of 5928, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-08-19, 22:29:
Show full quote

Finally fired up Wolfenstein The New Order, graphics pretty nice for a 6 year old game. Shooting in the gun turret is cool.
Jumping out of the plane onto another is proving problematic however, practice makes perfect I guess.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W