Topic actions

Reply 35600 of 52700, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-08-22, 03:28:
waterbeesje wrote on 2020-08-21, 14:52:

Second: few nice controllers. 16b SCSI / floppy combo, 8b SCSI "floptical"(?) Controller and some generic VLB dual IDE I/o card. Not sure is the second one drivers hard disks, but it's nice 😀

Actually that 8bit scsi card is nearly same as a Rancho RT1000 Value Stor (same FCC ID) except missing the IRQ jumpers and the Term parts for the missing Ext connector. The NCR53c400 series was used on quite a few very early 90's XT/AT scsi controllers for HD or Cdrom. J6-J9 are the IRQ, J1-J4 are the BIOS address. It supports bothe HD and Cdroms with the proper BIOS (yours may actually support them both too). Here is a pic of one that works very well and is same as yours but the full card. They work great to add a scsi HD or cdrom to an XT/AT and still stay somewhat period correct. Save that card or offer it to me 😀
added: the label on the BIOS looks like 1999 but is 1993...

Ofc I'm gonna test it, I think I might have an old quantum SCSI 80MB drive somewhere. Since the original hard disk in my Philips P3105 is near dead (Miniscribe 8425X with 30% bad sectors, growing) this could be a nice replacement 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 35601 of 52700, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2020-08-22, 04:41:

Well the contract said I had to deliver X pounds of "electronics scrap" to a local recycling company and get a reciept.

needless to say, I cleaned my garage a bit

So .. Not cleaning up the garage of useless stuff actually proved to be an investment .. I like it!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 35602 of 52700, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-08-22, 11:42:

So .. Not cleaning up the garage of useless stuff actually proved to be an investment .. I like it!

I don't think there is such a thing as useless stuff, just a lack of space for it all 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 35603 of 52700, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2020-08-22, 13:14:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-08-22, 11:42:

I don't think there is such a thing as useless stuff, just a lack of space for it all 😀

True that .. Unless you'd ask my wife 🤣

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 35604 of 52700, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello friends! So, a few days back I provided a sneak preview of some of the goodies I've recently picked up. It's been an absolutely crazy few weeks where I've acquired some pretty cool stuff.

So first, let's start with 3Dfx (oh, how I LOVE 3Dfx!).. The first is the set of 4x Quantum3D Obsidian2 SB200 cards... WITH FANS. These are the pro versions of the X-24 "SLI on a card" .. cards... are hard to come by by themselves, but then finding them with the optional cooling fan is even more insane. All of these tested just fine and are in pristine condition.

97oWHo.jpg

But wait, there's more..

I then found a 125Mhz (i.e. GREEN) version of the Quantum3D Obsidian2 200SBi. This is the later, faster version of the 100Mhz Memory 200SBi single-planar card and is 1/4th of a 3Dfx Mercury Brick. Check out that beast-mode heatsink!
j1CkbG.jpg

And then this popped up and hurt the wallet a bit ....(gulp). BUT, it's complete (software and Medusa Cable) and in great shape so I couldn't pass it up.

3DFX Voodoo2 (x2) - Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 24MB PCI (Complete) (Boxed) (1998)

01FLmT.jpg
v18m3q.jpg
RgoI9Z.jpg
C6mNwH.jpg
NfGzZ7.jpg
oFv2HX.jpg
QQiqNp.jpg

3DFX Banshee - Gainward Dragon 4000 (ICUVGA-GW816D) 16MB AGP (Boxed) (1998)

3ulFYe.jpg
qIS2ON.jpg
sFBBRc.jpg

How about a bare 8-bit Ad Lib ISA (1987)?!

x8VzLG.jpg
M8Woir.jpg

ATI Rage 128 GL - ATI Rage Fury 32MB AGP (NOS) (1999) ... just cuz it's kinda cool and I already have a sealed Rage Fury MAXX.

cWik0c.jpg
ddu5zo.jpg

Creative CT2760 (Sound Blaster AWE32) ISA (Boxed) (1994) (Who doesn't love a CT2760!?)

14V1P5.jpg
VrqBzx.jpg
cgdWU1.jpg
Wr8pr5.jpg
KSV6Fe.jpg
R81QPF.jpg

Ensoniq SoundScape OPUS - NEC Harmony 1MB Patch ROM ISA (1995) (Don't see these too often, and I do love me some Ensoniq, even if it's the ole 'COW CHIP' Opus wavetable).

Ry3lIh.jpg

DOMED Case Badges! I just finished some case Retr0brighting projects so it's time to give these a few homes. 😀

reFSSq.jpg

NVIDIA RIVA 128 - Diamond Viper V330 4MB PCI (NV3) (1997) (NOS)

Bbpg2D.jpg
Khtpt5.jpg

TSENG ET6000 - STB LightSpeed 128 v1.2 2MB PCI (Boxed) (1996)

ZO7nds.jpg
CuNU2e.jpg
5ryjK7.jpg
M0n5VO.jpg

And finally... the Big Kahuna. And the same evening this happened. Coincidence? I think not.

96X0b7.jpg

A Creative CT6200 (3D Blaster VLB) 2MB (*****SEALED*****) (1995)

iDI6iJ.jpg
4yIkfI.jpg
q1SPd4.jpg
8xvj9i.jpg
0biNAl.jpg
NTHeML.jpg
dzMlAg.jpg

Last edited by Artex on 2020-08-25, 13:29. Edited 3 times in total.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 35606 of 52700, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why are you taking photos of my house man? 😉

Anyway, Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri has some of the best AWE32 MIDI music of that era along with the original System Shock. Great game to boot.

Reply 35608 of 52700, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2020-08-22, 22:20:

Why are you taking photos of my house man? 😉

Erm.. What house??.. 😜

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 35609 of 52700, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Artex one does not just "find" these things. Like finding something at a flea market or a good will. I feel like were either being trolled, or you know somone who decided to sell you this stuff that they collected and you took a loan out of the bank to get it.

Reply 35610 of 52700, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote on 2020-08-22, 22:31:

Artex one does not just "find" these things. Like finding something at a flea market or a good will. I feel like were either being trolled, or you know somone who decided to sell you this stuff that they collected and you took a loan out of the bank to get it.

Dang! Buzzkill right here. (speaking of trolling).

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 35613 of 52700, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks guys! The sealed 3D blaster was found by a son who's father owned a computer shop in the 90s. He just literally found it cleaning up a bunch of stuff in boxes...

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 35614 of 52700, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-08-22, 22:19:

Crazy sick. I wanna get in a time machine and go back to the 90s right now.

good times... walking into that computer store with shelves just stuffed with nice hardware boxes... that I could never afford anyways x3

and now that I could afford them you can't get them anymore, or they're even more expensive.

is finding this stuff your full time job Artex? x3

Reply 35615 of 52700, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote on 2020-08-22, 23:18:

Thanks guys! The sealed 3D blaster was found by a son who's father owned a computer shop in the 90s. He just literally found it cleaning up a bunch of stuff in boxes...

Seeing Creative 3D cards like this still gets my blood boiled. I went into a Babbage's back in 2000 and picked up a Creative 3D Annihilator Pro and when I got home there was a TNT2 inside. I had to call Babbage's corporate number to complain as I knew they would not believe me at the local store I purchased it from. They were cool about it and let me get a refund and took the loss. It proved what I had heard though. Babbage's most definitely reshrinkwrapped their returns and sold them as new (or at least my local store did). So some kid bought it, switched it out with his TNT2 and then returned it. Of course the the employees didn't even check the contents of the box.

Reply 35616 of 52700, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-08-22, 23:55:
good times... walking into that computer store with shelves just stuffed with nice hardware boxes... that I could never afford a […]
Show full quote
kolderman wrote on 2020-08-22, 22:19:

Crazy sick. I wanna get in a time machine and go back to the 90s right now.

good times... walking into that computer store with shelves just stuffed with nice hardware boxes... that I could never afford anyways x3

and now that I could afford them you can't get them anymore, or they're even more expensive.

is finding this stuff your full time job Artex? x3

Right!?? Not quite full time job, 🤣. Family first!

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 35617 of 52700, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2020-08-23, 00:19:

Seeing Creative 3D cards like this still gets my blood boiled. I went into a Babbage's back in 2000 and picked up a Creative 3D Annihilator Pro and when I got home there was a TNT2 inside. I had to call Babbage's corporate number to complain as I knew they would not believe me at the local store I purchased it from. They were cool about it and let me get a refund and took the loss. It proved what I had heard though. Babbage's most definitely reshrinkwrapped their returns and sold them as new (or at least my local store did). So some kid bought it, switched it out with his TNT2 and then returned it. Of course the the employees didn't even check the contents of the box.

Oh man.. Babbage's brings back memories (nostalgia) for sure. I had some good experiences there but some very similar bad ones. Didn't help that a bunch of high-school kids ran the front desk and handled returns. But a TNT2 vs Geforce256 DDR - how disappointing! That was probably world-crushing back then.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 35618 of 52700, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote on 2020-08-22, 22:14:
Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 cards... WITH FANS. […]
Show full quote

Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 cards... WITH FANS.

125Mhz (i.e. GREEN) version of the Quantum3D Obsidian2 200SBi...

Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 24MB PCI...

Creative CT6200 (3D Blaster VLB) 2MB (*****SEALED*****)...

Ugh! Much jealousy over here.

FWIW furan is reverse engineering Creative CGL drivers and learning about the 3D Blaster VLB in another thread here at VOGONS. I am fairly confident any firmware has been dumped and the included discs imaged and the PCBs scanned/photographed in high resolution, but in case they haven't... not that I think you'd break the seal in that situation, but... FYI. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 35619 of 52700, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote on 2020-08-23, 01:13:
liqmat wrote on 2020-08-23, 00:19:

Oh man.. Babbage's brings back memories (nostalgia) for sure. I had some good experiences there but some very similar bad ones. Didn't help that a bunch of high-school kids ran the front desk and handled returns. But a TNT2 vs Geforce256 DDR - how disappointing! That was probably world-crushing back then.

Never had something like that happen to me, but I've heard and read enough stories that I check every high ticket tech item before leaving the store . I specifically also check whether serial numbers match between the box (when applicable), item and receipt.