VOGONS

3D printed AWE64 Gold bracket

Topic actions

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Designed it for my friend who is missing it on one of his cards.
Maybe somebody will need it...
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4576552

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 2 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You people and your 3d printers... You are tempting me to buy a 3d printer every time I see something like this.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 28, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, I'm missing a card much more than a bracket 🤣
What software do you use for drawing?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4 of 28, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-08-22, 17:10:

3dsmax

Also this exact card is currently for sale (and not with the 3d printed bracket - it's just here for see if it does fit) in a complete build along with Voodoo 1, Riva 128 and HX motherboard - just check out ebay (user hanjammer 😉 ).

cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-22, 16:13:

You people and your 3d printers... You are tempting me to buy a 3d printer every time I see something like this.

I just bought it 4 days ago. No previous experience with 3D printing (but I did have over 20 years of experience with 3D modelling).

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 5 of 28, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2020-08-23, 00:12:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-08-22, 17:10:

3dsmax

Would you mind sharing either the source file (hoping that it will open in Fusion360), or maybe make one without holes in it? It would be nice to have for future projects 😀 I suppose it will work for PCI cards as well ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 6 of 28, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-08-24, 07:29:

Would you mind sharing either the source file (hoping that it will open in Fusion360), or maybe make one without holes in it? It would be nice to have for future projects 😀 I suppose it will work for PCI cards as well ..

"Blank" brackets are available on thingiverse and you can open STL files in the Fusion 360 😀
Also AWE64 Gold won't fit other cards because of the PCB-bracket mounting holes are different depending on the card.
Also being ISA bracket it certainly won't work for any PCI/AGP/PCIE card as those are 'the other way around'.

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=isa+brac … s&sort=relevant

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=pci+brac … s&sort=relevant

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 7 of 28, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2020-08-24, 11:56:
"Blank" brackets are available on thingiverse and you can open STL files in the Fusion 360 :) Also AWE64 Gold won't fit other ca […]
Show full quote
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-08-24, 07:29:

"Blank" brackets are available on thingiverse and you can open STL files in the Fusion 360 😀
Also AWE64 Gold won't fit other cards because of the PCB-bracket mounting holes are different depending on the card.
Also being ISA bracket it certainly won't work for any PCI/AGP/PCIE card as those are 'the other way around'.

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=isa+brac … s&sort=relevant

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=pci+brac … s&sort=relevant

Oh, thanks for your input 😀 I'll download some bracket when I need it, then .. 😀

Reply 8 of 28, by Station2381

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2020-08-22, 12:32:

Designed it for my friend who is missing it on one of his cards.
Maybe somebody will need it...
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4576552

Hello. I have a request. I need a bracket for awe64 gold, but the file is unavailable on the links. Would it be possible to send it to an e-mail box, for example? Thank you.

Reply 9 of 28, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I took down the files because people would sell the prints without asking for permission or even giving any credit.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 10 of 28, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2023-07-12, 16:58:

I took down the files because people would sell the prints without asking for permission or even giving any credit.

Experienced the same, seen people sell prints of some of my models without permission. Wasn't amused at first, but changed my mind since. It's not like they're making a fortune from it, and it can be seen as they're providing a service for the users that don't own a 3D printer. If anything, I'm surprised they're willing to jump through the Ebay selling and shipping hoops, handling careless customers that broke the prints trying to get new ones for free, etc, for peanuts. I could never be bothered to do that myself.

I don't mean to lecture you or anything, it's of course your choice, but give it some thought 😀

Reply 11 of 28, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

huh? i download 3d models that are freely distributed online and pay 3rd party businesses to print them up. is this not how it's supposed to work? i assume i have implicit, if not explicit, permission to do so.

Reply 12 of 28, by Daniël Oosterhuis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2023-07-13, 08:27:

huh? i download 3d models that are freely distributed online and pay 3rd party businesses to print them up. is this not how it's supposed to work? i assume i have implicit, if not explicit, permission to do so.

That's not the issue, if I understand the OP correctly.
The problem is that people are printing these, or having them printed, and then selling them on store fronts for their own profit with zero credit or payment to OP.

Paying a service to 3D print something for you really isn't different from buying a 3D printer and PLA/SLA/<insert material here> to print the file with yourself, from this point of view, as you're still making or getting it made for personal use.
The payment for it is for the provided service, or the product to achieve it with, and not for the design itself.

sUd4xjs.gif

Reply 13 of 28, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Same happened with mine and wiretap's Athlon GFD clones. I was pretty bummed about it too especially since the price they were selling for was not fair at all. Ultimately decided to leave the files online in order to not create a monopoly for those people.
People not giving credit is really the part that sucks.😐

Reply 14 of 28, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2023-07-13, 09:59:

Same happened with mine and wiretap's Athlon GFD clones. I was pretty bummed about it too especially since the price they were selling for was not fair at all. Ultimately decided to leave the files online in order to not create a monopoly for those people.
People not giving credit is really the part that sucks.😐

Also a very good point 😀 Once the damage already is done, you're only furthering it by taking the files offline.

Reply 15 of 28, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote on 2023-07-12, 18:05:

Experienced the same, seen people sell prints of some of my models without permission. Wasn't amused at first, but changed my mind since. It's not like they're making a fortune from it, and it can be seen as they're providing a service for the users that don't own a 3D printer. If anything, I'm surprised they're willing to jump through the Ebay selling and shipping hoops, handling careless customers that broke the prints trying to get new ones for free, etc, for peanuts. I could never be bothered to do that myself.

I don't mean to lecture you or anything, it's of course your choice, but give it some thought 😀

Well, while I don't really have a problem with people providing a 3D printing service - not giving any credit for the models, when I clearly asked for it is not fair. Also I'm pretty well aware how much printing of such small items like card bracket costs - if somebody is selling a card bracket for 5-10 USD (and that was exactly the case) then clearly the profit is made, because for this price you can have 0,5kg spool of filament which will allow you to print several dozen of such brackets (power consumption costs and device wear per single bracket are negligible). Also in case of this particular model - it was a remix of some other model - while remixing was allowed (and I gave credit to original designer), I had to obey his license permissions (and no commercial use was allowed - part of the reason why I don't sell this particular 3D print, while selling some of my original designs at the same time - ie. line of hangers for the 8-bit micros and Amigas):

As for the @Station2381 question - please PM me.

Attachments

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 16 of 28, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2023-07-13, 12:22:

He can't since he doesn't have the required amount of posts, so suggest you PM him first. I believe he is able to reply to messages received.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 17 of 28, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2023-07-13, 12:22:
kaputnik wrote on 2023-07-12, 18:05:

Well, while I don't really have a problem with people providing a 3D printing service - not giving any credit for the models, when I clearly asked for it is not fair. Also I'm pretty well aware how much printing of such small items like card bracket costs - if somebody is selling a card bracket for 5-10 USD (and that was exactly the case) then clearly the profit is made, because for this price you can have 0,5kg spool of filament which will allow you to print several dozen of such brackets (power consumption costs and device wear per single bracket are negligible). Also in case of this particular model - it was a remix of some other model - while remixing was allowed (and I gave credit to original designer), I had to obey his license permissions (and no commercial use was allowed - part of the reason why I don't sell this particular 3D print, while selling some of my original designs at the same time - ie. line of hangers for the 8-bit micros and Amigas):

No, it's clearly a dick move to print and sell that way without permission and not giving credits when asked to. Just trying to say that there might be some small upsides with it too. Can of course only speak for myself, but the irony is that I'd gladly allow it even without giving credits if they asked, the user availability thing is enough for me. Wouldn't surprise me at all if many creators would do the same.

Those asking prices might not be in proportion to the material costs alone, but the time it takes from sourcing raw materials to dropping the finished product off at the postal service point is only free if you consider your time worthless. Doing overtime at my regular job would pay off way better per hour than some small scale 3D printing operation if I needed some extra money 😀

Reply 18 of 28, by Station2381

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry, but I can't write a private message. I am new here. But I understand your situation. I only wanted to have one printed for myself. Never mind, thank you anyway 😉

Reply 19 of 28, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Station2381 wrote on 2023-07-13, 14:30:

I'm sorry, but I can't write a private message. I am new here. But I understand your situation. I only wanted to have one printed for myself. Never mind, thank you anyway 😉

Ah, I didn't realized. I PM-ed you...

I8v8PGb.jpg