VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Ron Smith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an HP15 laptop (Windows 10) and have been playing Master of Orion (original 1994 version) with Dosbox 0.74 for years with no problem.
Suddenly, a couple of days ago, while I was playing MOO, the mouse became all jittery, and kept jumping out of the game. I would have to move it back to the game window and click the mouse to get it back into the game. The problem kept getting worse and worse, until finally I decided to stop playing and restart the laptop.
The laptop restarted fine, but now I cannot get Dosbox to accept the mouse no matter what I try. I have tried clicking, F10, cntrl+F10, nothing works. I have checked the config file, and the setting for autocapture = true.
I updated my Dosbox installation to 0.74-3, but still had the same problem.
I am at a loss as to what else to look at or try. Does anyone have any suggestions?
MOO seems to load correctly, but I cannot get Dosbox to accept the mouse any more.
Is it possible that the CD I use, an original copy of MOO from 1994, has finally gone bad? Would that explain it?

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I would guess something else changed on your PC.
Maybe some windows update or a driver update ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by Ron Smith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote on 2020-08-27, 08:07:

I would guess something else changed on your PC.
Maybe some windows update or a driver update ?

Yes, I thought about that also.
The only software update I instituted recently was to load Python onto the laptop. I doubt that would be relevant, but of course one never knows.
The only thing that leaves are auto updates by Windows or possibly HP. If it is one of those how can I tell, and what can I do about it?

Reply 3 of 3, by Ron Smith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Much to my surprise, I found the problem.

Somehow the game's config file (Config.moo) had become corrupted. I simply used the Installer to create a new config file and now everything works fine.

How it became corrupted while I was playing, or why the corruption was only affecting the mouse function, I have no idea.