VOGONS

First post, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this TK 8498F on a flea market some time ago, it was pretty cheap (4 us dollars).

IMG_0498.JPG
Filename
IMG_0498.JPG
File size
321.19 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

At first the board was not posting.
The board had some big scratchs on the backside and a trace near the cpu socket was broken, sadly I didn't took a picture before the repair.

IMG_0493.JPG
Filename
IMG_0493.JPG
File size
243.25 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Still not booting, a pin on the memory slot was bent and causing a short circuit, fixed and finally posted!!!

Ops! Keyboard not detecting and a weird siren beep during memory count, replaced the bios and no change (I had a opti socket 3 board in the past that a corrupted bios caused a siren like beep on post)

Checked with multi meter and found the keyboard data pin (the center pin) shorted to ground. Thankfully I have the same board on my pile of working boards, so I could use it to trace the data pin.

Discovered that the keyboard data pin went straight to the pin 30 of the south bridge and pin 167 of north bridge only passing through a cap, a resistor and a bridge.
The cap and the resistor checked good, so the problem was on the south bridge or in the north bridge, in both cases it was a "game over".

So I desoldered the pin 30 of the the south bridge and kb data pin was still shorted.

IMG_0489.JPG
Filename
IMG_0489.JPG
File size
103.35 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

With Nothing to loose, I broke the path to the 167 pin of the north bridge (desoldering in this case wasn't a easy job).

IMG_0486.JPG
Filename
IMG_0486.JPG
File size
66.87 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

But the kb data path was still shorted to ground , BUT HOOOOW!!!!!

Without new ideas I checked the inoffensive bridge and just bellow found two little eyelets to the other side of the board. The bridge was shorted with those eyelets!!!!!!
Bellow is photo of the "repaired bridge".

IMG_0492.JPG
Filename
IMG_0492.JPG
File size
215.22 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Resoldered the south bridge pin and repaired trace that I broke to the north bridge.

Now the board works perfectly.

Last edited by Mut on 2021-05-23, 14:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice job !

Can you dump its bios please ?

By the way you seem to have fake cache

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 5, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it is fake cache. I have replaced with some chips from a dead motherboard and now the cache is working.

Attached the dumped bios.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 5, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a M326 in near mint condition at local flea market, sadly it was completely dead.

Replaced the bios and the keyboard controller and nothing changed.

After a visual inspection found some signal of old flux around the cpu, reflowed the cpu without success.

Time to use the oscilloscope.

Checked some data and address pins around the bios and the board had no activity at all.

Checked the crystal and there was no oscillation, replaced the crystal and still no success.

Finally, I removed and reattached the clock generator (the chip was socketed and had tiny heatsink), the board began to work ! Probably someone removed and reattached the clock generator backwards in the past.

Attachments

• IMG_1704.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1704.jpg
    File size
    943.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_1703.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1703.jpg