VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From my experience on ebay... I think you'd best chalk this up as a lesson learnt. Maybe he did send the package but it got lost in the post... either way you've missed the opportunity to file a dispute so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for money back.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 26 of 33, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know, for some reason the 386 seems to me to lack the wow factor of a fast Harris 286 on the one end or any 486/5x86 on the other. I have a brand new in box 386SX-16 motherboard here that I was considering for a build until I got the Harris 286 motherboard and back when I started acquiring 486 boards with 5x86 CPU's in them, my AMD 386-25 DXL machine seemed to lose a lot of it's lustre. (I may yet do a clock crystal upgrade and install a DX-40mhz in it) 386 is clearly an evolutionary step between the two, but everything it can do a 486 can do better.

Reply 27 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My first PC was a 386DX-33 and I emotionally link a lot of great experiences to such a machine 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 29 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam going to do this build over. Because the motherboard i was using where working.. I bought from a guy nearby the same motherboard. But doesnt seemed to work.. So i need to use the working board to find out why the other board isnt working.. When i bought a system (386) on ebay, i needed it for the cases iam using now on my V20 nec build..
It came also with a forax motherboard in it.. I thought to going use that board for my 386 build.. It only came with a 33 mhz processor.. I want it to upgrade it with a 40mhz processor instead.

Games that iam going play on are 386 games like wolfenstein 3d, spear of destiny, and others off course.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 30 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This build will getting overhauled.. Going other components inside. Also got another case that fills my needs.. It just perfect for a 386 DX 40 Mhz build. I have some parts to choose from. And will add the best components to this build.

Reply 31 of 33, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote on 2011-06-26, 14:02:

Temperoraly ATI Wonder+ 512MB Graphics card.

Ohhhh, 512KB 😉
Was wondering where you'd gotten a 512MB ISA card 😉

Last edited by AlaricD on 2020-08-31, 17:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 33, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will do, this time the systeem have to be finished.. I have waited already to long. First iam collected all the parts i need. I have enough laying around here.. (its almost a candy shop)
Why i didnt start the build, that was because i wasnt happy with the AT case i wanted using before.. That is a very big AT tower.. But then i know the case wasnt right to use.
I also wasnt sure if the parts that i listed above *1st post* i wanted going to use those. Now i have enough motherboards to choose from.
Iam also found out that the ATI graphics card (ATI Wonder + 512KB) isnt that fast graphics card.. Its decent, but not very power full.

Thinking to go this time with a Western Digital w90C30 instead. Because its fast, and seems to be very compatible with different graphics modes.

Setup would like be:

386 motherboard
AMD DXL 40 MhZ ceramic
8MB Fast page simm 30
Western digital w90c30 isa graphics card.
Ultrasound ACE
Roland LAPC-I also having an CM-300 i can connect to it
1.44 3.5 inch floppy drive (looking for one other from my stach.
1.2MB 5,25 floppy drive
ISA IDE controller card with bios
Creative Multimedia CD-ROM drive original CR-563-B (i have a little pile of them) so i can choose what i want) period correct drives)
Creative soundcard i dont know.. But also having some Sound blaster Pro 2 laying around.
For now i thinking of going with an oldstyle xxx MB harddisk..IDE.

Reply 33 of 33, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My gold IDE controller in my 386 works with my CDROM. The computer bios does not detect the CD-ROM drive but that’s okay.
Just leave it and NONE drive in bios.

I have my hard drive setup as master and CD-ROM drive as a slave.

The cdrom DOS driver finds the CD-ROM drive and loads the driver.

Works fine with just one IDE connector on the controller.
I am just using one 40-pin ribbon for the two drives.
And one ribbon for the two floppy drives.