VOGONS

Gateway roadside rust bucket.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Put the VGA port on first just in preparation for the unit to be tested. Then followed by the regulator. A new regulator was obtained, and the heatsink was fully cleaned of rust, then sealed with clear nail enamel.

Attachments

Reply 21 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cleaned the ram and cache expansion. Then on to the first test. Paired the board with a known working Pentium 133mhz before trying the Spectra. That passed, so after a bit of cleanup on the Spectra K6, that unit was also tested. Both were a success.

Attachments

Reply 22 of 37, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's good to see that it's not just the usual cleaning job but a very thorough one.
I'm always too lazy to remove brackets and connectors.

Reply 24 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Time to get rid of those leaky button caps. I know, I know, tantalums are evil... not anymore, they are quite good these days made with new methods.

Attachments

Reply 25 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did the recap, also put the keyboard/mouse block on, retested and went in to the bios. Had to pack it in for the evening so just a recapping pic for tonight.

Attachments

Reply 26 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It does appear that the bios does not have the signature splash screen. This does however match known Gateway motherboards, the OEM version of Intel TE430VX. The bios says 1999, even though it is marked on just about every part that it was built in April 1997. Wondering if they flashed this bios, if there is any Gateway splash screen specific updated bios for it. 1.00.xx.CY1T means something, but if I don't stop researching this and go to sleep I'm going to fall out of my chair.

Also, https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Intel_TE430VX says it doesn't have a gameport, but it actually does if the Vibra16c is on board. Mine had one, but was removed from corrosion and rust, and I'm waiting on the official Foxconn part to arrive in a few months with delivery powered by a slow boat crewed soley by seamen fueled by only their dreams and cold bat soup.

Thank the gods for http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=929 who ever maintains those archives is a saint.

G'night,
TW

Reply 27 of 37, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TimWolf wrote on 2020-09-03, 03:09:
It does appear that the bios does not have the signature splash screen. This does however match known Gateway motherboards, the […]
Show full quote

It does appear that the bios does not have the signature splash screen. This does however match known Gateway motherboards, the OEM version of Intel TE430VX. The bios says 1999, even though it is marked on just about every part that it was built in April 1997. Wondering if they flashed this bios, if there is any Gateway splash screen specific updated bios for it. 1.00.xx.CY1T means something, but if I don't stop researching this and go to sleep I'm going to fall out of my chair.

Also, https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Intel_TE430VX says it doesn't have a gameport, but it actually does if the Vibra16c is on board. Mine had one, but was removed from corrosion and rust, and I'm waiting on the official Foxconn part to arrive in a few months with delivery powered by a slow boat crewed soley by seamen fueled by only their dreams and cold bat soup.

Thank the gods for http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=929 who ever maintains those archives is a saint.

G'night,
TW

Bat gazpacho sounds delicious . 😉 Seriously, great work !

Reply 30 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TimWolf wrote on 2020-09-03, 03:09:

For what it's worth, my Gateway from much later only gained a full screen Gateway splash screen after I updated the BIOS to the latest version. The earlier BIOS merely showed a small logo on boot up in the middle of the usual boot sequence.

Reply 31 of 37, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The latest version from Gateway, BIOS revision 1.00.08.CY1T

https://web.archive.org/web/20010717161137/ht … Bios/cy1t.shtml

https://contents.driverguide.com/content.php? … path=TIGE08.TXT

Filename
1008cy1t.zip
File size
437.89 KiB
Downloads
39 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

is from 1997, which is probably why they went with a (later / improved?) 3rd party upgrade.

Reply 32 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote on 2020-09-03, 06:09:

For what it's worth, my Gateway from much later only gained a full screen Gateway splash screen after I updated the BIOS to the latest version. The earlier BIOS merely showed a small logo on boot up in the middle of the usual boot sequence.

My Slot 1 and S370 systems had both options controlled in BIOS
Full screen enabled hid post messages and showed a loading bar under the logo.
Full screen disabled had a little white box with Gateway branding along with standard post messages

After BIOS updates I think it defaulted back to full screen, but it has been 20 odd years!

And great work on the restore, I was expecting swapping out hardware from the initial pictures, but after all the work on the PSU alone this aint no typical restore!

Reply 35 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No bezel so I have to homebrew it. Thinking this nonworking dehumidifier. It was $2 (got $1 off!) at the same estate sale I got a Tandy RLX full set for $25 at.

Attachments

Reply 36 of 37, by TimWolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is the inspiration for the case bezel design I'm working towards. It will not be identical by any means, just in mind as it is created.

Attachments

Reply 37 of 37, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now THAT is proper Gateway 2000 case.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium