Common searches

Reply 61 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-09-05, 00:06:

Today it's not running again... 🙁

Did you put cd in correct drive. Check the PATHS.DAT. Also did you install any thing. Mine didn't work after I installed Headset driver

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 62 of 77, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-05, 03:54:

Did you put cd in correct drive. Check the PATHS.DAT. Also did you install any thing. Mine didn't work after I installed Headset driver

Yes, same procedure as before, but this time it just didn't work.

Reply 63 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
filipetolhuizen wrote on 2020-09-05, 23:36:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-05, 03:54:

Yes, same procedure as before, but this time it just didn't work.

I bet it was a driver you installed or Windows Update did. The game doesn't like unknown hardwares.

Reply 64 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I noticed it didn't work on some OEM PCs like laptop and desktops. It does work, if you keep trying running the game with default drivers until you find where it doesn't work.

Reply 65 of 77, by darklocket1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wow. where to start? I have 20 of the NFS games, from NFS SE up to the remake NFS for 2015.

I had them all working on 1 windows 7 computer a few years ago, but moved to windows 10. Now I am resurrecting my NFS series to get all NFS working on a single PC again. So here goes.....

NFS SE: How I Got it to work.

Host OS Windows 10
Guest OS Windows XP

install Oracle VirtualBox 6.0
setup a windows XP virtual machine
set ram to 1gig
set video to 64 or even 32 and choose 2D and 3D
set HD to 4gigs to dynamic
set choose windows directsound using ICH AC97
set bridged network using pcnet-fast III
enable usb 2.0 (must install Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.24)
set acceleration to vt-x and amd-v, nested paging

Run the Win XP VM
set the compatiblity of the NFS SE shortcut on the Win XP desktop to windows 95
set the display properties of the Win XP from the Win XP desktop to 1024 x 768 32bit color
set the Virtualbox setting for the Win XP VM while it is running to scaled video mode.
while Win XP VM is running, set the graphics controller in VirtualBox to VboxSVGA for the VM. The Win XP VM will now prompt to install the VboxSVGA drivers using the drivers folder already on the Win XP C drive
in VirtualBox, set the Win XP preview to off.

All that said, it works pretty good in the Windows XP VM. My problem is that my g25 steering wheel is not recognized by NFS SE or the JCU.exe. 🙁
Windows XP does recognize my wheel, as I installed the logitech gaming software which inst alled the drivers and windows XP likes it.

Any recommendations for the wheel to work?

Last edited by darklocket1 on 2021-01-07, 12:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 66 of 77, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought only the original microsoft sidewinder force feedback wheel would get recognized by jcu.exe? because even my retro logitech formula force wheel does not get recognized by jcu.exe, on win98 no less

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 67 of 77, by darklocket1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

whoops... I messed up on the second half of my post above which I corrected. The VM I am running is Windows XP, not windows 7.

according to my previous build notes for NFS SE builds (I have lots for various setups) when I created a VM for Windows ME, I could run jcu.exe and it would recognize my momo steering wheel. Granted, in jcu.exe I had to choose generic forcefeedback wheel (no, the FF motor did not engage, but the wheel axis movements worked)

I may have to built an ME VM to get my logitech g25 wheel to be seen in NFS SE.

My current XP VM sees my g25 wheel and works great for windows calibration, but the logitech game profiler and NFS SE does not see my g25 wheel.

Reply 68 of 77, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

oh, I see, because on my formula force, I also tried generic ffb wheel, and also I had no ffb, the wheel was working but without ffb, so I think you need microsoft sidewinder for ffb to work. also nfs2 didnt have ffb, nfs3 and up did. Im curious to see what FFB feels like in nfs 1/2, and it sux that I need to buy the ms wheel to see it

Reply 69 of 77, by darklocket1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would be surprised if the ffb in NFS1 and NFS2 were any good as those were the early days of ffb.

NFS3 on the other hand I can speak to, and it was pretty impressive i.e. wood bridges, snow driving and wet driving, crashes, and the motor running.

update on my NFSE SE in windows XP: to a degree I got my logitech g25 wheel to work with NFS SE. I used a program called xpadder that takes the wheel inputs (among other controllers) and binds them to the keyboard. Its definitely not smooth, so I'll be looking at alternatives for better wheel control.
I believe the problem is that my logitech g25 wheel, is too new for NFS SE, and therefore the controller setup within NFS SE can not bind to the g25 wheel, even though it works in the windows game controller management

Reply 72 of 77, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this reminds me some years ago I played it trough dosbox using a cheap 270deg wheel, I think dosbox was recognizing it as a 2axis joystick and it worked fine, it was very fun to play the game that way, but I'd love to try out the ffb some day

Reply 73 of 77, by darklocket1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did it! flawless setup for me!!!

NFSE SE working in XP pro as a VM on Vmware workstation 10. Here is how I did it.

My way of setting up NSF SE windows version in a windows computer for 2020

this originally is credited to web link http://cryforspeed.com/en/classic-need-for-speed/#more-1
I have updated it for my windows 10 host setup.

install VMware workstation version 10.0.0 build 1295980 onto windows 10
create an windows XP pro 32-bit with SP2
choose typical
set OS install to I will install later
choose guest OS windows XP pro 32-bit with SP2
store as single virtual disk
20GB HD
customize hardware
RAM 2.0GB
1 CPU
assign a CD/DVD letter
NIC using NAT
Usb enabled and use USB 2.0 for compatibility and show all USB input devices
sound auto detect
remove printer
display auto detect and for 3D graphics check “Accelerate 3D graphics

make sure windows installer CD is in tray
power on VM
install windows XP pro 32-bit with SP2
help protect my PC - not right now

Install Vmware Tools via the VM tab of VMware workstation

add share to host to install files via VMware VM tab > settings > options > shared folders > always enable and map as network drive then add the share

install MS .net framework 1.1 from dotnetfix
install microsoft application compatibility toolkit 4-1

install the ms app compat NFS SE databases for installation and running the game
to do this quickly with premade database click file open and choose nfs se cd installer from my directory XP vmware setup for windows 10 to install
nfs se cd installer will now show up in custom databases
right click on Need for Speed SE CD Installer under custom databases and select install
you should get that it was successfully installed
repeat this operation for also the premade nfs se loader from from my directory XP vmware setup for windows 10 to install
right click on Need for Speed SE under custom databases and select install
you should get that it was successfully installed
there should now be 2 installed databases under the +installed databases
for more info
(see ms app compat setup notes) or use my directory XP vmware setup for windows 10 to install
credited web link How to get Need For Speed Special Edition working perfectly in Windows XP
I saved locally to How to get Need For Speed Special Edition working perfectly in Windows XP_php

enable the wheel via VMware VM removable tab and connect g25 from host to guest
be sure G25 is physically connected to the 2.0 usb ports on pc
if you dont see the wheel in the VMware VM removable tab nor the Win XP game controllers, then physically unplug the USB wheel and replug in. both HOST OS and Guest OS should see it now.
Guest OS should see a logiteh driving force USB

eject via VM explorer the VMware Tools and mount your host CD player with NFS SE cd
choose instalw from the CD
directx already installed
choose install
select auto detect sound
test sound
test video
choose custom install and add all types
total to install should now be 135megs
install
you can calibrate the g25 wheel, but we need to assign buttons first, so we need the logitech profiler for that
exit the game

run jcu.exe from the NFS SE installed location
hit enter until you see a list of game devices
choose generic forcefeed back wheel
hit enter a bunch of times till it exits

install logitech profiler version win XP lgs440enu
launch logitech profiler
import profile the XP Need for Speed SE.wgp wheel profile
browse to the c:\NFSSE and choose nfs
test buttons on wheel - I assigned paddles to A and Z for shift up and down, plus front buttons to horn and camera view change

if not already, enable the vm removable and connect g25 from host to guest
if you dont see the wheel in the VMware VM removable tab nor the Win XP game controllers, then physically unplug the USB wheel and replug in. both HOST OS and Guest OS should see it now.
Guest OS should see a logiteh driving force USB

create logitech profiler shortcut to desktop
change the icon of the logictech profiler to NFS SE
rename shortcut to NFS SE

set video in XP to 1920 x 1080
choose full screen mode in VMware view
choose exclusive mode in VMware view
some times the VMware or the game will kick back to smaller resolution, to fix, redo full screen and exclusive mode

run dxdiag in XP and disable sound acceleration on the sound tab, this stops sound shuddering and allows game to run at normal speed without being cliped.

make sure NSE SE CD is in tray and mounted for VMware to the guest OS
Launch NFS SE from within logitech profiler
watch intro and smile with delight

set wheel buttons and controls in game via options
controller setup
set steering to joystick
set acceleration to joystick
set shifting to keyboard AZ
set horn to keyboard H
not worried about the rest but keyboard

if have saved game and video from previous NFS SE playing
copy config.dat file to NFSSE\gamedata\config
copy replays to gamedata\replay
for rebuild, copy the windows xp vdi and vmdk to a new pc and install the VMware workstation

i didnt need to do this
install NFS SE (needed to copy installer local to virtual machine first?)
use 800 x 600 for screen resolution 16bit colors. using the list mode in advance to change resolution seems to want to always go higher in resolution and mess up the game when rebooting

Reply 75 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After a few days of intensive look at the game by DxWnd members, the game has been patched enough that it hasn't crashed in any of my computer.

There's a catch, the game doesn't like certain hardware such as my headphones so the easiest way to check similar situation will be updated...

Reply 76 of 77, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After some extensive test here it is:
https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … a/?page=10#8ba9

A much improved and usable version of the Windows game. You still need DxWnd for a few settings: Tweaks/shim:MapMemoryB0000, Compat/Limit free RAM

The above two can be enabled in ACT, but the game renders graphics incorrectly so you need DxWnd anyway.

I also tested a few PCs (none belonging to mine) where the game won't run, the common symptom (when trying to run directly without DxWnd) was the game would start a black box in the middle of the screen and crash. On the contrary when the game failed to run on a good PC (such as trying to run the game again within 1 SECOND of exiting), it would be a fullscreen blackscreen and crash. So probably the first case is what you should be careful of.