VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my 486 running DOS 6.22 for some reason I have to use SB16SET in the AUTOEXEC.BAT to set the volume levels all the way to max. If I don't do this my speakers are too quiet (have tried multiple speakers). In order to use SB16ET I have to load CTSB16.SYS and CTMMSYS.SYS in the CONFIG.SYS. When I load CTSB16.SYS and CTMMSYS.SYS my conventional memory goes down to below 600K (depending on what options I choose from Phils's menu at boot, but it will always go down as far as I know). I am using Phil's AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files from his web site and I put the CTSB16.SYS and CTMMSYS.SYS in the section named [COMMON].

Is between 549K to 582K of conventional memory enough for games? Is there a better way to load the CTSB16.SYS and CTMMSYS.SYS in the CONFIG.SYS so that it doesn't use so much conventional memory?

This is my AUTOEXEC.BAT:

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\SB16SET /SP:70 /MA:255 /VO:255 /MI:255
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\DOS
PATH C:\NC;%PATH%
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
GoTo %config%
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL
:EM
:XM
:CM
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
:E
: X
:C

And this is my CONFIG.SYS:

[COMMON]

FILES=40
DOS=HIGH,UMB
REM ** FILES=30
BUFFERS=30
LASTDRIVE=H

REM THE FOLLOWING 2 LINES ARE NEEDED TO SET SB16 TO MAX (TOO QUIET OTHERWISE)

DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS

[menu]
menuitem=EMC, Expanded memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=XMC, Extended memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=CMC, Conventional Memory only + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=EM, Expanded memory + Mouse
menuitem=XM, Extended memory + Mouse
menuitem=CM, Conventional memory only + Mouse
menuitem=E, Expanded memory
menuitem=X, Extended memory
menuitem=C, Conventional memory only

menudefault=EMC,10

[EMC]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL

[XMC]

[CMC]

[EM]

[XM]

[CM]

[E]

[X]

[C]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE /DOUBLE_BUFFER
STACKS=9,256

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rick12373 wrote on 2020-09-07, 19:16:

Is between 549K to 582K of conventional memory enough for games?

If you never encounter a game that requires more conventional memory (possibly because you've stuffed this box in a corner to collect dust), then yes, you have enough conventional memory and you should stop worrying about this.

Is there a better way to load the CTSB16.SYS and CTMMSYS.SYS in the CONFIG.SYS so that it doesn't use so much conventional memory?

If the only thing you need these for is to set the volume levels, then you could try to use DDL/DDU to unload the device drivers after the volume is adjusted. (DEVLOAD or LOADSYS might have that capability as well.)
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fr … til/system/ddl/

Anyway, have you not tried using DEVICEHIGH on those lines, as you have with VIDECDD.SYS ?

rick12373 wrote on 2020-09-07, 19:16:

On my 486 running DOS 6.22 for some reason I have to use SB16SET in the AUTOEXEC.BAT to set the volume levels all the way to max. If I don't do this my speakers are too quiet (have tried multiple speakers).

Have you tried doing a soft reboot (i.e. ctrl-alt-del) after setting the volume levels? Do they stay correct afterwards without having to run that utility?

Reply 2 of 6, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haven't used it for a while. Not had a problem since I set it up again with games so far. I tried DEVICEHIGH and it does not change anything.

I will look to see if I can use DDL/DDU to unload it.

I would try a soft reboot but for some reason every since I put this machine together years ago the ctrl-alt-del does not work. Maybe there is something in the BIOS that needs to be switched to fix that? It is the same 486 motherboard that LGR from YouTube used for his 486.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 3 of 6, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could not get DDL/DDU to work. I tried looking for some examples online of it's usage but did not find much mention of it either.

Well, I have not had any issues with any games yet so I will just go with it.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 4 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rick12373 wrote on 2020-09-07, 19:47:

I would try a soft reboot but for some reason every since I put this machine together years ago the ctrl-alt-del does not work. Maybe there is something in the BIOS that needs to be switched to fix that?

Strange indeed. I'm not familiar with any means of disabling that in the BIOS. I suppose you've tried both the "Delete" key below the "Insert" key and also the one on the numpad?

rick12373 wrote on 2020-09-07, 20:30:

Could not get DDL/DDU to work. I tried looking for some examples online of it's usage but did not find much mention of it either.

It is definitely somewhat nonstandard. What happens when you try to use it? (To be clear, you should use it after your system has finished booting. Loading device drivers and then loading something else before unloading them would likely be problematic.)

As I said, DEVLOAD or LOADSYS might work instead, but I'm not sure those support unloading.

Reply 5 of 6, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote on 2020-09-07, 22:40:

I'm not familiar with any means of disabling that in the BIOS. I suppose you've tried both the "Delete" key below the "Insert" key and also the one on the numpad?

Yes, tried both keys. The keyboard is a fairly new AT connector one made by Key Tronic that I bought new. There was nothing on the BIOS that I could see. The only other thing I can think of is maybe there a jumper on the MB that disables it for some reason?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 6 of 6, by JudgeMonroe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You do not need to put up with CTMMSYS.SYS and CTSB16.SYS just to run the mixer. You need to update your drivers to a version that includes SBMIX.EXE which does not need the architecture TSRs to work; I think the update file SB16UP.EXE, wherever you find it, is the one you want.