Picked up via local Craigslist.
DTK 486 DX/33
* Intel 486 DX/33 processor
* Media Vision Audio Spectrum Pro 16 sound card
*Can't identify the video card, but it is Oak Technologies
* 8 Mb memory (30 pin)
* 1.6 Gb hard drive
* Working 3.5" and 5.25" floppy drives
* Original CDROM (connected to the sound card via what seems to be a Sony interface)
Dallas CMOS was removed, a socket was soldered in and a new Dallas battery was put in. It has a Turbo button to boot! I really like the sound from the Spectrum card,,, different than the typical SB16..running Win 3.1 and DOS 6.22

Attachments

Last edited by Klw2 on 2020-09-15, 10:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strange that they have used a 5.25 rather then the 3.5 bay for the FDD, Maybe they are like me and never liked mounting the drive sideways.
Checking the CD-ROM model will confirm its interface.
PAS16 is indeed a fun little card to play round with, High Treason did a video on it that convinced me they aren't worth the asking price on ebay, but still hoping to find one on the cheap one day
https://youtu.be/sdphd742Oqs

Reply 3 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I come from a DTK town. They were especially popular at the universities and high schools. I saw everything from XT to 486.
My own DTK 486 had the 3.5" floppy drive in the vertical bay, not in an adapter (from the factory).
My guess is that while they were transitioning to the baby AT cases, they probably already had a lot of grey 5.25" and 3.5" drives with adapter from their 286s that they wanted to get rid of.
Who's to say what's in there is original anyway. It looks like somebody has been messing around.

What is the model on the motherboard?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 13, by Klw2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-09-10, 08:04:
I come from a DTK town. They were especially popular at the universities and high schools. I saw everything from XT to 486. My […]
Show full quote

I come from a DTK town. They were especially popular at the universities and high schools. I saw everything from XT to 486.
My own DTK 486 had the 3.5" floppy drive in the vertical bay, not in an adapter (from the factory).
My guess is that while they were transitioning to the baby AT cases, they probably already had a lot of grey 5.25" and 3.5" drives with adapter from their 286s that they wanted to get rid of.
Who's to say what's in there is original anyway. It looks like somebody has been messing around.

What is the model on the motherboard?

Interesting you say that because it has this metal plate on the back. I'll check the mother board..

Attachments

• dtk2.jpg
    Filename
    dtk2.jpg
    File size
    53.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 5 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the VGA card is oak, it's probably an ISA motherboard (without local bus). I would guess PKM-0031Y or a derivative.

Reply 7 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt the CD-ROM drive or sound card were original from the factory. The mismatched drives are not presentable for retail sale. I would also guess the 3.5" drive has been replaced. It's possible all of this was done by the original owner, but we haven't seen inside yet.

Reply 8 of 13, by Klw2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are some pics without taking anything apart. The CD has a date of 1993 on it and the HDD a 1997 date.

Attachments

• IMG_4119.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4119.jpg
    File size
    72.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_4118.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4118.jpg
    File size
    53.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_4116.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4116.jpg
    File size
    80.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_4115.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4115.jpg
    File size
    58.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Klw2 on 2020-09-11, 01:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 13, by Klw2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A couple more

Attachments

• IMG_4121.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4121.jpg
    File size
    93.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_4120.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_4120.jpg
    File size
    68.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 10 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't see the entire board. But it looks like a PMK 0031Y. Interestingly it uses a DTK BIOS. This is the first time I've seen one with a DTK BIOS. They most often come with AMI HIFLEX BIOS.

Reply 12 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The trick only works if I've owned the board for at least 25 years.

Still, it could be a slightly different model. I know there is one fairly close that has a Weitek socket instead of a 487SX socket, but the exact name escapes me.
Perhaps "FEAT-3331"?
http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/C-D/33100.htm

Your board has a sticker that has "FEAT5030" printed on it.
TH99 has a board labelled FEAT 5031. I think FEAT is actually the model of the PC. The real board model name should be PKM-5031Y (which I think is just PKM 0031Y with slightly different equipment). So, it's possible that your board should be an older version not listed on TH99....perhaps a PKM-0030Y?

DTK wasn't just any old white box PC vendor. They actually made their own shit, and they made TONNES of it. I wish I had some documentation to decipher their model names.

If we use PKM-0031Y as an example, I believe the 'M' stands for motherboard. Not sure what the 'P' and 'K' are, but the 00 is a place holder for the operating speed of the unit sold. So 3331Y is a 33MHz version, and 5031Y is the 50MHz version. They usually slap a sticker over base model name after the CPU has been installed. The last letter in the code is the manufacturer of the chipset. Y is for Symphony. S is for SiS. P is OPTi. C is for C&T. V is for VLSI. I is probably intel....and I think no letter indicates discrete logic (no chipset).