VOGONS

First post, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a couple of Voodoo cards, a 1 and a 2 (and a). <band enters>

I'm new to 3dfx so I don't know the waters.

Tried Carmageddon, but the multi patching complexity means I can't be *100.00% certain* if any error is hardware, or software.

So I need a simple compatible-out-of-the-box reliable software to test the hardware.

Preferably free licence (e.g. shareware demo) so it can be downloaded by all, rather than bought.

Does such a thing exist?

Should clarify, this is for pure/non-Windows DOS machine.

Reply 1 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On DOS glide stuff, Tomb Raider is usually the big old Glide demo that comes out-of-the-box on many early 3dfx cards' driver discs. Voodoo2s don't bundle dos games, as DOS was already pretty dead by that point (unless you really really like Bethesda)

(also IMO you're really limiting yourself with the whole pure DOS thing as there's really not that many good 3dfx DOS games)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Imo there is no 100% reliable test for the V1+2 cards. Some of those cards are real divas and refuse to work because they do not like a certain motherboard or processor, won't work with a certain application or driver or sometimes the PCI slot is not to their liking, I've encountered a card that only works in some PC cases (and never in an open test setup) and there are lots of other quirks that may produce a false negative.

As leileilol suggested under DOS Tomb Raider is a good place to start but if a card doesn't work there it's not necessarily defective.

Reply 3 of 10, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@leileilol @Doornkaat

Thanks. Yes, I might have to accept putting 98SE on the box, to put the Voodoo2 through it's paces, as there doesn't seem to be much 3dfx for DOS.

I might also look into some of the demos talked about here: 3D Accelerated Demoscene Demos for DOS/Windows List (Proprietary APIs - including 3DFX)

Reply 5 of 10, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are a handful of DOS Glide tests from 3Dfx Glide 2.43 SDK that cover simple triangles, texturing and LFB operation, but none of those are game-like tech demos. For game-like tech demos, my favorites are "Valley of Ra" and "Race" from 3Dfx archives. They only run on Windows though.

Reply 7 of 10, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-09-13, 02:42:

(also IMO you're really limiting yourself with the whole pure DOS thing as there's really not that many good 3dfx DOS games)

Agreed. That said, one of my builds is a DOS+Voodoo1 machine only, and I love it. The pool of games to choose from: Revised list of Voodoo games for DOS.

For a Voodoo2, definitely Windows.

OP, one of the easier DOS tests for your Voodoo1 is one of the demo CDs that came bundled with cards. There is one from Orchid that contains Fatal Racing and Actua Soccer.

Reply 8 of 10, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks guys I'll test some of those suggestions.

@Pierre32 cheers mate, yeah I should look up the original Diamond discs for the cards I have. Can't see myself playing anything other than Carmageddon or Descent II out of the DOS list. Those are your standouts too of course!, as we've discussed elsewhere.

I'll likely leave the Voodoo1 in the DOS machine, and make another slightly higher-spec rig to house the Voodoo2 sometime. You know you're a retro nutter when you think of a Voodoo card in terms of building a house for it.. ah well.

Reply 9 of 10, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2020-09-16, 00:27:

Can't see myself playing anything other than Carmageddon or Descent II out of the DOS list. Those are your standouts too of course!, as we've discussed elsewhere.

Oh of course, hey neighbour! Screamer 2 has become a big Voodoo favourite as well.

Reply 10 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually use some pouet downloaded 3Dfx demos, they are small, and show you the functionality of your V1/V2.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.