VOGONS

Retro Hardware Collecting rants

Topic actions

Reply 720 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

probably trying to imply that fujitsu would use fake intel chips or something :p

because it baffled me when I first read it here and it has since happened a few times to me... it's really frustrating that ebay sellers can just cancel an auction you're already bidding on 😒
before that I always believed that once a bid was made you can't cancel anymore.

Reply 723 of 934, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2020-09-12, 12:41:
Miphee wrote on 2020-09-11, 16:20:

I'll just leave this here, take a look at the chipset logo. Yeah.

So what am I looking at? Care to elaborate?
What I see is a basic FS BTX board? The chipset logo is under the heatsink and the non-heatsinked chip reads only "Intel" with the rest of the text unreadable due to the quality of the pic being not good enough to do so.

The chipset logo issue looks to me like JPEG artifacts from too much compression. You can see the same kind of image quality problems elsewhere in the picture (e.g. PCI slots).

Reply 724 of 934, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, that happens. Especially very large pictures get compressed again when they're uploaded to eBay - probably to improve the loading times for the website.
Also, not everyone has a super-fancy DSLR. The photos I take with my phone are always a bit blurry when zoomed in.

So I don't care about slightly bad image quality.

What I do care about is shady tactics from sellers - like taking the pictures in low light or at weird angles so you can't see obvious defects.
If a picture is out of focus I don't bid on the article. Those items are very often in bad shape. It's simple: If a seller can't invest a second more to adjust the focus he probably didn't invest any time keeping the item in good shape. Or he's just so clueless that he won't package it up properly later.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 725 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

haha yeah I saw one of those recently, 4 pictures, all of them horribly out of focus, like not just slightly blurry, you literally couldn't make out anything... and two of the pictures were overexposed too, one picture was literally just a bright blurry mess... why even upload that ^^

another funny thing I see pop up here and there are auctions with a bunch of pictures all from pretty much the same angle... like a PC with 10 pictures from the front, then like ever so slightly to the left... ever so slightly to the top... and so on, but not a single picture from the side or back.

Reply 726 of 934, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to contribute to the discussion... recently I've purchased ATI Radeon 8500DV card on eBay in Used condition, as I needed a shader model v1.x graphics card for testing.

After a week of waiting, the seller didn't ship, so I had to open a claim and seller gave excuses like having his house on a fire and living in hotel, whereas graphics card is at his home, etc. I even asked him to simply refund the money so I can find the card elsewhere, but he insisted that he'll ship very soon. In the end, after almost two weeks, he shipped the item.

When the graphics card arrived, I plugged it in: ATI drivers installed successfully but no GPU acceleration was seemingly available. GPU-Z reported that it's ATI Radeon 7500. Long story short, eventually almost having given up, I decided to detach the heatsink to see the card's condition. It turned out that graphics card has 7500 chip soldered and the heatsink was glued to it, which wasn't even covering the full chip, just some small circular area. So it seems to be a refurbished Radeon 8500DV card with a wrong chip soldered. PayPal's dispute turned out in my favor, but negative feedback that I've left the seller on eBay after few days has disappeared for no reason.

I've attached the photo. Anyone else has come across this type of scam?

Attachments

• graphics-card.jpg
    Filename
    graphics-card.jpg
    File size
    807.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 727 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that card always has been a 7500 AIW, the serial number sticker is simply on the wrong card, seems like a weird card to falsify, but noone would go as far and solder on a different chip ^^

Reply 728 of 934, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-09-13, 16:14:

that card always has been a 7500 AIW, the serial number sticker is simply on the wrong card, seems like a weird card to falsify, but noone would go as far and solder on a different chip ^^

Sure, it could be the other way around - wrong stickers on a 7500 card (it came in a box from Radeon 9550), but in Display Properties it was being detected as Radeon 8500 series, whereas GPU-Z reports it as 7500. In either case, with official ATI drivers installed, there is absolutely no GPU acceleration, not even 2D acceleration - simply moving a window in Windows XP appears all funky while it repaints doing so.

Reply 729 of 934, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ykot wrote on 2020-09-13, 16:54:

but in Display Properties it was being detected as Radeon 8500 series, whereas GPU-Z reports it as 7500.

that's really curious, I'm 99% certain though that this is definitely a 7500 card as GPU-Z tells you, the 8500 looks distinctively different, either with BGA memory or a different layout.

you don't seem to be the first one to have run into such a card though:
Re: 8500DV AIW Software Suite w/ TV Tuner

looking through ebay I can indeed also find another one of these... maybe someone at some point did actually fake those cards and they got into circulation somehow, maybe they have a manipulated bios that makes it show up as 8500

good thing you got your money back, though I'd assume the seller might not even have known seeing as there are multiple of these around (unless they were selling multiple ^^)

Reply 730 of 934, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, talking about 'mislabeled' Radeons.... I saw a someone earlier this year presumably selling a boxed Radeon 9250 with some stuff inside, but only showing pictures of the (original) box etc, and then the card itself lying inside in a very obscuring metallic antitstatic bag.
Now, having been duped 1 time too many by misleading photos on this local 'Craigslist' version, I asked for clear pictures of the naked card itself, which he provided with no problem. And, my suspicions were confirmed - it was NOT a Radeon, but a.......... ..................................................... Geforce3...😂🤔 !

Granted, it was only the lowly Ti-200, but still.... So I ended up buying it for 5 euros + shipping....

Reply 732 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote on 2020-09-13, 19:09:

Heh, talking about 'mislabeled' Radeons.... I saw a someone earlier this year presumably selling a boxed Radeon 9250 with some stuff inside, but only showing pictures of the (original) box etc, and then the card itself lying inside in a very obscuring metallic antitstatic bag.
Now, having been duped 1 time too many by misleading photos on this local 'Craigslist' version, I asked for clear pictures of the naked card itself, which he provided with no problem. And, my suspicions were confirmed - it was NOT a Radeon, but a.......... ..................................................... Geforce3...😂🤔 !

Granted, it was only the lowly Ti-200, but still.... So I ended up buying it for 5 euros + shipping....

Nice catch . I hope it works (my last used Geforce 3 Ti200 was DOA 🙁 ) .

Reply 733 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-09-14, 01:08:

Given my personal luck with video cards even a GF3 Ti-200 would be considered extremely welcome...

Geforce FX 5500 128-bit to Geforce FX 5900 variants are easy to find and relatively affordable . Maybe less glamour than GF3, but definitely serviceable, IMHO .

🤣 : I just saw an FX5900 for sale described as "tested and working" but photographed without a heatsink or fan .

Reply 734 of 934, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-09-14, 01:10:

Funny you should say that... just tested it, and it works fine, but the fan does NOT (turn at all!).... 😂
So, after a few minutes of Doom2, the metal of the cooler element gets somewhat hot, but not anywhere near scorching.
Still, would not dare to keep it on long like that... Oh well, it was cheap at least. Have to dive into my retro-cooler spares closet to see what hides there...

PS: I suppose that might have been the reason for it being transplanted with a Radeon 9250 in the first place... 😮

Reply 735 of 934, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-09-14, 01:19:

Given my personal luck with video cards even a GF3 Ti-200 would be considered extremely welcome...

Geforce FX 5500 128-bit to Geforce FX 5900 variants are easy to find and relatively affordable . Maybe less glamour than GF3, but definitely serviceable, IMHO .

🤣 : I just saw an FX5900 for sale described as "tested and working" but photographed without a heatsink or fan .

I dunno if I just go on eBay at the wrong time of day but all I ever seem to find in the sub-$40USD range is like...extremely mediocre GeForce 2MX/4MX cards as far as AGP goes and terrible S3 cards that are only useful in Pentium Is running Windows 95 as far as PCI goes.

Reply 736 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote on 2020-09-14, 01:50:
Funny you should say that... just tested it, and it works fine, but the fan does NOT (turn at all!).... 😂 So, after a few minute […]
Show full quote
darry wrote on 2020-09-14, 01:10:

Funny you should say that... just tested it, and it works fine, but the fan does NOT (turn at all!).... 😂
So, after a few minutes of Doom2, the metal of the cooler element gets somewhat hot, but not anywhere near scorching.
Still, would not dare to keep it on long like that... Oh well, it was cheap at least. Have to dive into my retro-cooler spares closet to see what hides there...

PS: I suppose that might have been the reason for it being transplanted with a Radeon 9250 in the first place... 😮

The fan still worked on my dead one (only thing that did). If I still had it (at some point I had to downsize my DOA collection), I would have gladly mailed you the fan and, if needed, the heatsink assembly .

That said, a little machine oil into the fan motor's shaft might revive it .

Reply 737 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-09-14, 02:11:
darry wrote on 2020-09-14, 01:19:

I dunno if I just go on eBay at the wrong time of day but all I ever seem to find in the sub-$40USD range is like...extremely mediocre GeForce 2MX/4MX cards as far as AGP goes and terrible S3 cards that are only useful in Pentium Is running Windows 95 as far as PCI goes.

For 40 US$ or less, including shipping to the US, you can get a Geforce FX5600 or even an XT variant . An FX5900 variant is like 75-80 US$ including shipping . These are all "buy it nows" from sellers outside North America, however, and are advertised as working .

The FX 5600XT is slower than a Geforce 3, but also cheaper . IMHO, the FX5700s are not worth it, price-wise, these days .
Personally, I would try to go for an FX 5900 , if you happen to see one closer to what you would want to spend .

Good luck .

Reply 738 of 934, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now, HERE's the card you all secretly want ! 😆
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE-Geforce … ED/292675932134

..and if that leaves a bad taste in your wallet... (and if you can wait a couple of months for it to pass customs) -
This thing should be quite ok, albeit not in the FX5900 range:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GEFORCE-FX-52 … GA/293632387076
(14 euros shipped to the US...!)

Reply 739 of 934, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote on 2020-09-14, 04:16:
Now, HERE's the card you all secretly want ! 😆 https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE-Geforce … ED/292675932134 […]
Show full quote

Now, HERE's the card you all secretly want ! 😆
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE-Geforce … ED/292675932134

..and if that leaves a bad taste in your wallet... (and if you can wait a couple of months for it to pass customs) -
This thing should be quite ok, albeit not in the FX5900 range:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GEFORCE-FX-52 … GA/293632387076
(14 euros shipped to the US...!)

🤣

With hindsight, it is still impressive to see how badly both extremes of the Geforce FX range managed to suck (or more accurately blow, in the case of the FX 5800) for different reasons .