VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hejluxom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm just curious how other people do it. What is the best way to get games on your win98 and winXP systems? Of course, my aim is digitally, but I would like to avoid using internet on the retro system.
Is gog installer working on older system if I just copy over the files? Or connect to interwebz anyhow and use steam? Or let the digital thing go and buy old cds?

cheers for the inputs!

Reply 2 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hejluxom wrote on 2020-09-17, 06:32:

I'm just curious how other people do it. What is the best way to get games on your win98 and winXP systems? Of course, my aim is digitally, but I would like to avoid using internet on the retro system.
Is gog installer working on older system if I just copy over the files? Or connect to interwebz anyhow and use steam? Or let the digital thing go and buy old cds?

cheers for the inputs!

Buy the game on GOG, and download the cd images from archive.org, the n burn it

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience, GOG installers work fine on WindowsXP + SP3.

Some games may need extra stuff like "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable" to work, but you can usually download offline installers for that. Personally, I like to keep my XP build completely offline for security reasons, so GOG installers and physical game discs are all that I use.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-17, 07:27:

You don't even need to burn it, you can just mount the iso unless you want CD audio
daemon tools lite 3.47 is the final version for Win98 and predates forcing adware installation.
XP has few options if you no longer trust D-Tools, personally I just run 3.47 on everything, not like I need any of the newer features.

Reply 5 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2020-09-17, 09:22:
You don't even need to burn it, you can just mount the iso unless you want CD audio daemon tools lite 3.47 is the final version […]
Show full quote
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-09-17, 07:27:

You don't even need to burn it, you can just mount the iso unless you want CD audio
daemon tools lite 3.47 is the final version for Win98 and predates forcing adware installation.
XP has few options if you no longer trust D-Tools, personally I just run 3.47 on everything, not like I need any of the newer features.

MDS/MDS or BIN/CUE can be used for CD Audio

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058