VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking for recommendations on a good Socket 7 (doesnt need to be a Super Socket 7) board that I can setup PCI Voodoo and a PCI 2D Card with. Want to use a Pentium 233 processor in it as well.

Any good recommendations? I know SS7 boards are nice, but I want to go for the PCI only build this time around....

Reply 2 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel-built 486/Pentium/PPro/PII motherboard guide (any ATX board on 430HX/430TX chipset).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can also make some searches over here : http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/search
Some infos could be missing tho, we are working on it.

If you want pentium MMX, search for "pentium [split voltages]". This is guaranteed to support pentium MMX (unlike many socket 7 boards which doesn't have the required hardware for this). And you can also use criterias you want (number of PCI slots, form factor, etc)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note that Intel So7 chipsets are limited in how much RAM they can cache. If you want to use >64MB, don't go for an i430VX or TX, and i430HX will only do so if you have a second tag RAM (not common in desktop boards). No L2 caching of everything above 64MB means subpar performance, particularly in DOS or Win9x (as they fill RAM from top down, unlike WinNT/2K and Linux which do bottom-up).

Now, in 1997 mortal humans didn't have >64MB, so a non-issue with a period-correct build, but if you do want >64MB, you either need to look very carefully for a suitable i430HX board, or need to go non-Intel. With Via chipsets, the amount of cache determines what can be cached, 1MB of L2 cache allows 128MB in Write-back mode and 256 in Write-through . If you want more than that, you need 2MB - but I wouldn't recommend such a 'far out' build if you're still at the phase of asking these basic questions.