Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 2200 of 5932, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never had much patience in most games so I also left many games before the end. But usually I surprise myself when rarely some specific game take my attention and get me interested. Thief II for example was quite a difficult one but it didn't have all the modern complex menus, configurations, maps.. I always thought that games should be much faster in the beginning process without tutorials or whatever but with more freedom to explore the maps without advices or helps , decide different directions, random ways to solve a specific situation. This game was awesome because you can get to a point in many ways and while difficult still the game logic is easy cause "realistic". The objectives instead might be difficult.
Half Life1/2 were other examples, I finished them back when they were the best games out there because I really got interested in the story, in the game logic with a simple classic design of the game. Not that any game should be like the first Doom or Quake, but modern games are boring just considering those GUI full of too many options, too many commands, and it shouldn't even be needed a manual.

Reply 2201 of 5932, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-11, 22:10:

I felt exactly the same about the combat system. It's also why after finishing Baldur's Gate, I've put off BG2. I transferred my party into it and have it installed, ready to go, but every time I finish a game and start deciding on a next game, I pass it up. I'm a turn-based snob. Speaking of which, Lords of Xulima stands out as a super fun game. Ever play it? Great combat system.

Clueless1, I'm in the same boat as you as I could just barely stand the realtime combat on BG but nothing else.

If you didn't know, PoE2 has a turn-based combat mode that works great and also takes place in a different setting so can be enjoyed without playing PoE1. On that note, Pathfinder: Kingmaker now also has an official turn-based combat mode built in, so you might want to consider that one as well if you haven't played it!

Reply 2202 of 5932, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been playing Unreal Gold since around Feb this year. I thought I must be getting near the end, but I never checked. Then I started a new level "Sunspire" last night and I go look it up and...damn it's described as the midway point. I might be finished in March next year...what a long game.

Reply 2204 of 5932, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Playing through Diablo II LoD on a Voodoo3, I've noticed that the game never stutters when "streaming in" data. I remember this being an issue with Direct3D cards even on a much more powerful machine.

I'm not using an SSD mind you, just a plain old 80GB Maxtor HDD. The game simply runs super smooth in Glide mode.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2205 of 5932, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-09-15, 09:55:

Playing through Diablo II LoD on a Voodoo3, I've noticed that the game never stutters when "streaming in" data. I remember this being an issue with Direct3D cards even on a much more powerful machine.

I'm not using an SSD mind you, just a plain old 80GB Maxtor HDD. The game simply runs super smooth in Glide mode.

Is it sharp and crisp? I get a somewhat fuzzy image on my v5 I have not figured out yet.

Reply 2206 of 5932, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-09-15, 10:12:

Is it sharp and crisp? I get a somewhat fuzzy image on my v5 I have not figured out yet.

I'm playing on a 17" CRT and it looks really nice to me. Not sure if things would be different on an LCD though.

I can take some screenshots if you want.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2207 of 5932, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-09-15, 10:44:

I'm playing on a 17" CRT and it looks really nice to me. Not sure if things would be different on an LCD though.

I can take some screenshots if you want.

I might try on another pc with v3. I was also thinking of playing it on another pc with a 5950U and one of the glide translators that work with d2.

Reply 2208 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-09-15, 07:52:
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-11, 22:10:

I felt exactly the same about the combat system. It's also why after finishing Baldur's Gate, I've put off BG2. I transferred my party into it and have it installed, ready to go, but every time I finish a game and start deciding on a next game, I pass it up. I'm a turn-based snob. Speaking of which, Lords of Xulima stands out as a super fun game. Ever play it? Great combat system.

Clueless1, I'm in the same boat as you as I could just barely stand the realtime combat on BG but nothing else.

If you didn't know, PoE2 has a turn-based combat mode that works great and also takes place in a different setting so can be enjoyed without playing PoE1. On that note, Pathfinder: Kingmaker now also has an official turn-based combat mode built in, so you might want to consider that one as well if you haven't played it!

Thanks! I'll add those to my list. I've still got a pretty decent backlog of turn-based RPGs on my to-play list, including Arcanum, the Avadon and Avernum series and The Bard's Tale Trilogy.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2209 of 5932, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-15, 16:49:

Thanks! I'll add those to my list. I've still got a pretty decent backlog of turn-based RPGs on my to-play list, including Arcanum, the Avadon and Avernum series and The Bard's Tale Trilogy.

If you don't mind, I'd like to give my thoughts on these games 😀 Who knows, it may help you to decide which to play next!

Arcanum
The combat is very poor in this one, but it's got an interesting world and a lot of freedom in how you tackle quests. It's very much like Fallout 1/2 if you've played those, but not as good imo.

Avadon/Avernum
Avadon: Besides Queen's Wish, definitely my least favorite Spiderweb game. He was apparently heavily influenced by the structure of "Mass Effect" where you create just the main character and form your party from a group of selectable fixed characters, and work out of a hub going on missions, and leveling up gets you a few points to spend in a small skill tree. The writing is good but I felt a lot of the situations presented in the missions were stale.
Avernum: Knowing your tastes, I think you probably enjoy Avernum quite a bit more, which has full party creation and customization and a large world free to explore.

The Bard's Tale Trilogy
A really great remake, and there are a lot of options to play with to make it more convenient or closer to the original experience. I think you'll like this one. 😀 It took me around 70 hours to get through all three games, and was able to take the same party from BT1 all the way to the end. It's got a great automap so even though the game can be pretty brutal, I found it to be a great game to sit down with whenever I had free time on Friday night and just spend an hour or so exploring dungeons.

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2022-04-02, 14:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2210 of 5932, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried the Bard's Tale Trilogy remake and to be honest it is still way too 80s to be playable.. That kind of gameplay was a-OK in its time but these days I can't really stand it when a game wastes that much of my time..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2211 of 5932, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-09-17, 02:15:
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-15, 16:49:

If you don't mind, I'd like to give my thoughts on these games 😀 Who knows, it may help you to decide which to play next!

I definitely don't mind! Thanks! It sounds like you've played a lot more RPGs than I have. Any others (either old or modern) stand out to you?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2212 of 5932, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V5's got the same filters as the V3, though the V5 drivers can obey a -1 setting to completely disable them.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2213 of 5932, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-09-06, 01:08:
Iris030380 wrote on 2020-09-03, 09:21:

BFG Edition was basically a port for the newer generation consoles. It didn't improve anything - adding a torch strap only made the game less atmospheric and terrifying.

It's kind of weird that the flashlight as a dedicated weapon was the #1 complaint of the original Doom3 and there was the popularity of the duct tape mod for it, and now that the mod's ascended to the new release, it's very unwelcome. 🤣

I think the majority of people complaining about the dark and shadowy level design were basically the unskilled players or the younger ones who were frightened to play the 18+ certificate horror game that Doom 3 was designed to be. The fact you couldn't use your flashlight in a firefight helped make the game so intense and added to the atmosphere. The way iD originally meant it to be. Quake 4 had the option built in but that was a much more arcade run and gun style game.

Not sure about the motion blur effect, obviously motion blur was a method the console developers used heavily during the PS3 + PS4 era to mask frame dips and smoothen out images as much as it was a "gameplay effect". I always preferred adding "r_jitter 1" to the command line or in the console with Doom 3 to enable the shaky vision "human" element to the game world, although that was built in to the original game (yet turned off by default for some reason).

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 2215 of 5932, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2020-09-12, 20:24:

Was playing one of the games that I picked up at a garage sale yesterday: The Typing of the Dead, a Sega game of all things!

What a bizarre game. After my first play last night I was wondering if I had somehow fallen asleep at the keyboard and dreamt the entire thing up. Nope! Played it again this morning it's real. It's real weird. But also lots of fun - I like it!

Looks like a sequel to House of the Dead. I never knew there was one.

Reply 2217 of 5932, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote on 2020-09-17, 09:58:

I definitely don't mind! Thanks! It sounds like you've played a lot more RPGs than I have. Any others (either old or modern) stand out to you?

I don't think I've played and completed more than you have! Since you enjoyed the latter Wizardry titles so much, I'd definitely recommend The Bard's Tale Trilogy, which is a really awesome remake of three games that really couldn't be more like the original Wizardry games if it tried. You can customize how "hardcore" you want it to be, which goes a long way towards making it more playable for a modern audience. When I ran through the games I used the automap but saved only in the Guild for the first two games (even the original BT3 allows you to save anywhere). Like I said earlier, it took about 70 hours to run through all three games, but BT1 was pretty short and you might want to run through it to see how you like the formula.

It's also worth continuing on to The Bard's Tale IV, which is an interesting attempt at a "modern" take on these kinds of games.
It works in some ways (exploration, overall atmosphere, combat/character development [til the mid point of the game]) and fails in others (loot, combat/character development [mid point onward], way too much reliance on logic puzzles [i.e. sliding blocks and similar things; however, they can be skipped if you hate them]). It's got a lot of callbacks to the previous games in the series so it's worth saving it for last imo.

Other than that, you might want to consider playing some of the older games in the Wizardry and Might & Magic series. You can hook them into a tool called "Where Are We" that provides a lot of modern quality of life features, such as an automap that fills in as you explore, status panels showing party and monster stats, and even a quest log! There's a similar tool, "Gold Box Companion," for the SSI AD&D "Gold Box" games, and I definitely recommend playing Pool of Radiance as it feels just right, with plenty of sub-quests and an somewhat nonlinear structure.

Wizardry I-III&V are all individually short enough that it's worth going through them imo. Wizardry I and V, in particular, have aged very well.

I also highly recommend Might & Magic Book One. It's aged EXTREMELY well and the sense of exploration the game provides is simply unmatched imo. It's also not as brutal as you might expect, as you can rest at (almost) any time to fully restore HP and SP... which means you have nothing to lose by taking full advantage of all your spellcasters every combat. It's a massive game, and it really feels like you are exploring an entire world.

Wasteland takes some getting used to but is pretty amazing (and shouldn't take too long to complete). There's a modern remake that came out last year I think, but I haven't tried it. It's apparently a very faithful remake, just with "improved" (tastes vary) graphics rendered in 3D.

For more modern takes on party-based & turn-based combat, there's Might & Magic X, Operencia, and Grimoire.
Might & Magic X is definitely better than the horrible M&MIX, but I'd rank it below everything else in the series. It has fixed encounters which is a pet peeve of mine. It is also heavily character build-based, but provides no option to respec your characters; since there are no random encounters, that means you could get stuck in the game with a nonviable party. It follows modern MMO character building pretty closely (you'll want a "tank" and a rogue "damage dealer" as well as a "buffer" and so on), which I guess was its attempt to modernize the formula, but it feels out of place imo in a M&M game. The combat is fun early on as a result, but once you've locked into your roles it's almost like playing on autopilot. The game is also very linear, and the fixed encounters basically serve to lock you out from exploring outside of whatever area is appropriate for your level. It just didn't feel like a M&M game to me, but was enjoyable on its own and worth playing.

Operencia is honestly kind of dull. You create only a single character, while the rest of your party changes along with the story... almost like a Japanese RPG I suppose. I found the combat to be tedious and full of damage sponge enemies, and the game is very linear. The dungeons themselves are quite decent, more complicated than those in both M&MX and BT4 and a lot of fun to explore. My biggest issue with the game is that it is very story-focused and teases a world based on Hungarian folk stories, but ends up being your typical fighters and wizards killing goblins in castles and forests. Worst of all, the dialog is cringeworthy and goes on and on. It really reminds me of modern Japanese RPGs, with character portraits on either side of the screen as text shows up on the screen, where you have to press a button after every single sentence to just get on with it.

Grimoire is DEFINITELY worth playing, especially in your case, as it was specifically designed to be a sort of spiritual sequel to Wizardry VII... it's almost like a "lost" Wizardry game that got released in between VII and VIII. It's got a massive world to explore that's full of interesting stuff, an eight-character party, and some really nice quality of life features (automap complete with an auto-navigation feature!). The writing is also very evocative, and is similar to D.W. Bradley's more serious writing in Wizardry V, VI, and VII.

Reply 2218 of 5932, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Iris030380 wrote on 2020-09-17, 16:38:

The fact you couldn't use your flashlight in a firefight helped make the game so intense and added to the atmosphere.

Nar, it was just illogical and fucking annoying IMO. Each to their own, but I play with the mod.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2219 of 5932, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-09-18, 01:59:

Wizardry I-III&V are all individually short enough that it's worth going through them imo. Wizardry I and V, in particular, have aged very well.

They all have remakes and you can play them in even higher resolution with dgvoodoo2