VOGONS

First post, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The MediaForte uses a Creative Vibra chipset, but has a fake OPL3 chip, an amplifier and an FM tuner onboard. It's not a Creative product, best as I can tell, but It was also made in Singapore. I don't know either.

The DXP44Q synth, What is it? OPL3 clone or bootleg OPL3?
This person has one and didn't have to do anything more than use diagnose.exe to create a setblaster line.

Mine is working perfectly in Windows 95 with the included Soundblaster 16 driver, but I cannot get it to work in DOS properly. I'm getting OPL3 sound in some games, but not all, and no PCM audio. I've run diagnose.exe, and it sets my card onto IO 220, IRQ 10, 8 bit DMA 1, 16 bit DMA 7 and T6. I've tried IRQ7, which I understand is more traditional, but that still does not work.

This is probably something dumb and RTFM basic, but I'm lost as I never had to deal with this as a kid on our family 486.

Reply 1 of 2, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DXP44Q is a 1:1 copy of the YMF289B. My OPTi 82C930 has one and it sounds identical to the real thing.

As for the DOS setup, try using the sbbasic drivers as shown by Phil here. Note that this is intended for pure DOS 6.22. However, if you're using DOS 7.1 (the version which ships with Win9x) use this approach instead.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 2, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I fixed it. Looks like I really do need to be running diagnose.exe /s like the other person with said card found. Not just running diagnose.exe and letting it update my autoexec and config.sys files. That's not enough; looks like the card needs to be initialized under DOS, and diagnose.exe does that.