VOGONS

Aztech Sound Galaxy cards

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 180, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so I found box and package contents pics of the BX II Extra. The Extra came with speakers. The card is the same exact one as the one on the box of the BX III. Sounds to me like they just re-badged the same card... maybe just a different software package?

BX-II_box_front.jpg
Filename
BX-II_box_front.jpg
File size
114.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
BX-II_box_side.jpg
Filename
BX-II_box_side.jpg
File size
14.37 KiB
Views
File license
BX-II_contents.jpg
Filename
BX-II_contents.jpg
File size
43.64 KiB
Views
File license
BX-II_Extra_with_speakers.jpg
Filename
BX-II_Extra_with_speakers.jpg
File size
21.59 KiB
Views
File license
BX-II_front.jpg
Filename
BX-II_front.jpg
File size
121.98 KiB
Views
File license

So this raises even more questions about the card I have on the way... is it a prototype card or maybe just a different OEM that made a BX II with FM tuner integrated?

Maybe it is a real Aztech card that was never released?

Stickers on the card make me think it may be some other BX II OEM card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 141 of 180, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found a box pic of the regular BX II:

BX-II-box.JPG
Filename
BX-II-box.JPG
File size
13.2 KiB
Views
File license

So.. it looks to me like the BX II / BX II Extra have the full size OPL2 and the BX III has the smaller OPL2... or maybe the full size OPL2 was just on the earlier cards and they moved to the smaller one when it was still the BX II... who knows.
The box in the previous post for the BX II Extra has a pic of the smaller OPL2 while the card pictured has the larger OPL2.

Same part number / FCC ID though.

And to add to the confusion, there are different part numbers for the BX II
I38-SGB21 (in OP... but this is wrong)
I38-SGBX21
I38-MMSNBX2 (per the Aztech FTP index.txt though I am unable to find pictures of any cards with this on them)

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 143 of 180, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-10-16, 05:10:

Does anyone know if there is a driver for the "I38-SGNX01"? It does not appear in that big Aztech driver pack.

I don't think there were any released by Aztech on their website

This model is basically a clone of the Sound Blaster 2.0. You can try the NXII or BXII driver disks or even the Creative drivers.

Windows 3.1 and later have built-in drivers and under DOS all you need to do is to insert the SET BLASTER environments variable. All settings (as I recall) on this card can be configured via jumpers.

Reply 144 of 180, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote on 2020-10-16, 14:10:
I don't think there were any released by Aztech on their website […]
Show full quote

Does anyone know if there is a driver for the "I38-SGNX01"? It does not appear in that big Aztech driver pack.

This model is basically a clone of the Sound Blaster 2.0. You can try the NXII or BXII driver disks or even the Creative drivers.

Windows 3.1 and later have built-in drivers and under DOS all you need to do is to insert the SET BLASTER environments variable. All settings (as I recall) on this card can be configured via jumpers.

So it turns out no drivers or anything are needed - it is fully jumpered for IRQ and port. The problem was line-out seems to be busted, but speaker out works fine. It sounded really nice in the Monkey Island intro and crisp and clear in Doom.

Reply 145 of 180, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-10-17, 00:35:
jesolo wrote on 2020-10-16, 14:10:
I don't think there were any released by Aztech on their website […]
Show full quote

So it turns out no drivers or anything are needed - it is fully jumpered for IRQ and port. The problem was line-out seems to be busted, but speaker out works fine. It sounded really nice in the Monkey Island intro and crisp and clear in Doom.

On some soundcards there is also a jumper to select Line Out our Speaker Output, but this is normally those type of sound cards that only had one output. If you card has both a Speaker Out & Line Out then it is possible that the Line Out might be muted. Check, under Windows in the Mixer Control, if there is a volume setting for Line Out. Alternatively, install the Creative Sound Blaster 2.0 Mixer Control utility and see if you can adjust the mixer settings.

Reply 146 of 180, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote on 2020-10-18, 15:27:

Creative Sound Blaster 2.0 Mixer Control utility

Is there such a thing? Where?
I thought there was no mixer in SB cards before the Pro...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 147 of 180, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2020-10-18, 16:45:
jesolo wrote on 2020-10-18, 15:27:

Creative Sound Blaster 2.0 Mixer Control utility

Is there such a thing? Where?
I thought there was no mixer in SB cards before the Pro...

Vogonsdrivers

Reply 148 of 180, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the drivers for SB 2.0, but can't see any mixer utility - quite contrary, I've found this in README.TXT:

"Please note that there is no Mixer control for Sound Blaster 2.0. Hence, the features available for controlling the volume will not be supported for SBSIM.COM."

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 149 of 180, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2020-10-18, 17:11:

I have the drivers for SB 2.0, but can't see any mixer utility - quite contrary, I've found this in README.TXT:

"Please note that there is no Mixer control for Sound Blaster 2.0. Hence, the features available for controlling the volume will not be supported for SBSIM.COM."

What happens when you turn the volume wheel at the back of the card?

Reply 150 of 180, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote on 2020-10-18, 18:07:

That's irrelevant.
The point is: there's no software volume control in SB 2.0.

There may be software volume control in that Sound Galaxy card, but only via some Sound Galaxy specific utility, not by any utility for SB 2.0.

Reply 151 of 180, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my case it raises or lowers the volume, but introduces a bit of static while the wheel is moving. I don't really mind using the speaker out as it was quite clear, but I am curious as to what happened to the line out.

Reply 152 of 180, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2020-10-18, 18:35:

In my case it raises or lowers the volume, but introduces a bit of static while the wheel is moving. I don't really mind using the speaker out as it was quite clear, but I am curious as to what happened to the line out.

Could just be a capacitor issue, but I'm not very knowledgeable in that particular field - someone else might be able to offer more insight.

Reply 153 of 180, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Grzyb wrote on 2020-10-18, 18:29:
That's irrelevant. The point is: there's no software volume control in SB 2.0. […]
Show full quote

That's irrelevant.
The point is: there's no software volume control in SB 2.0.

There may be software volume control in that Sound Galaxy card, but only via some Sound Galaxy specific utility, not by any utility for SB 2.0.

Apologies, you are correct - I became confused with the Sound Blaster Pro sound card and fan made mixer tsr that only works on the Sound Blaster Pro or higher sound card.
I doubt that there was a utility for the "I38-SGNX01". Otherwise, Aztech Labs would have made it available on their website - the only solution I can offer is to install the software for either the BXII or NXII sound cards and see if that helps.
Unfortunately, I don't own either of these two sound cards and therefore can't say whether Aztech Labs included a software based mixer control utility for these models (might just have been a rudimentary DOS diagnostic utility and the relevant Windows 3.x drivers).

Reply 154 of 180, by MarcoVo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cyclone3d, Did you ever get your MMSN-808 working? I acquired one, and have been trying every driver I can find for the last few weeks -- I haven't specifically found a driver billing itself for the Pro16L, and every (dos) driver i've tried says 'card not detected' and won't install. However, FMDEMO works, and if I misuse a SG-Washington driver, dos games recognize midi. So, I think the card is basically functional, just in need of the right config utility to set up the eeprom. Any insights you can offer?

MarcoVo

cyclone3d wrote on 2017-06-21, 00:59:
When I purchased it, I could not find any info or pictures about it either. The CDROM interface is for a super proprietary and r […]
Show full quote
SaxxonPike wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

The I38-MMSN808 is one of those omitted. I personally have one and will post pics this evening. I would have posted pics earlier, but I have not had a chance to mess with it since I got it.

Excellent! I would greatly appreciate it. This particular model gave me some trouble- there was some evidence it was around on some foreign sites, but I could not find photos, forum posts or anything else about it.

When I purchased it, I could not find any info or pictures about it either. The CDROM interface is for a super proprietary and rare phillips unit.

This picture was taken using a Microtek Scanmaker 9800XL scanner. CCD scanners are awesome for this sort of thing. Not having to worry about focusing, depth of field, reflections or bad lighting is sweet.

You can click on the picture or the link to view the full-size picture.

35306742651_e142ee9d2b_c.jpgAztech I38-MMSN808

MarcoVo

Reply 155 of 180, by MarcoVo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's always the last thing you try that works! -- Just found a dos drivers for the MMSN-812 on dosday.co.uk ( http://dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturers/aztech.php ). He has drivers listed for both the 808 and the 812. The 808 drivers don't work -- they're for an NXPro rather than a Pro16, but the 812 drivers (with filenames P16103-1,2,3 ) do work fine, and brought my 808 to life in DOS!

MarcoVo wrote on 2021-01-24, 21:20:

Cyclone3d, Did you ever get your MMSN-808 working? I acquired one, and have been trying every driver I can find for the last few weeks -- I haven't specifically found a driver billing itself for the Pro16L, and every (dos) driver i've tried says 'card not detected' and won't install. However, FMDEMO works, and if I misuse a SG-Washington driver, dos games recognize midi. So, I think the card is basically functional, just in need of the right config utility to set up the eeprom. Any insights you can offer?

MarcoVo

cyclone3d wrote on 2017-06-21, 00:59:
When I purchased it, I could not find any info or pictures about it either. The CDROM interface is for a super proprietary and r […]
Show full quote
SaxxonPike wrote:

Excellent! I would greatly appreciate it. This particular model gave me some trouble- there was some evidence it was around on some foreign sites, but I could not find photos, forum posts or anything else about it.

When I purchased it, I could not find any info or pictures about it either. The CDROM interface is for a super proprietary and rare phillips unit.

This picture was taken using a Microtek Scanmaker 9800XL scanner. CCD scanners are awesome for this sort of thing. Not having to worry about focusing, depth of field, reflections or bad lighting is sweet.

You can click on the picture or the link to view the full-size picture.

35306742651_e142ee9d2b_c.jpgAztech I38-MMSN808

MarcoVo

Reply 156 of 180, by Kiz Urazgubi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forums. What brought me to this wonderful oasis is a troublesome Aztech Sound Card / Modem combo, specifically this exact one:

Re: Aztech Sound Galaxy cards

I picked up a Packard Bell Legend 436CDT (Pentium 75) in hopes of turning into a Plain Vanilla DOS and Windows 3.11 machine. It has on-board video, and the only card installed is the Aztech Sound Card.
The problem is, the sound quality is really poor. FM Music rapidly stutters and sounds like it's coming in way too hot / clipping.
Digital sound is fine, except when there's any kind of movement on-screen. (Bulldozing something in SimCity 2000 for example alternates between the "kaboom" sound and the animation frame.) In Ascendancy or Leisure Suit Larry 7 (consistent background music with lots of animation) the music basically "vibrates."

I grew up resolving IRQ and COM port conflicts, (in fact my original SB-PRO in my 286 had a similar problem, and it was just a simple IRQ conflict) but I've tried every combination to no avail. I think the IRQ and COM jumpers on the board are there for the modem, anyway.
I've tried several of the closest drivers available from the site (There isn't an exact match for I38-MMSN834) including the NXPro16, Nova16, Galaxy Pro 16II, and while all of them get the sound card to "work," when trying to access any of the utilities like the diagnostics, setvol, tsr mixer, etc. I just get a "Sound Card Not Detected!!!" error. Ironically, I CAN run the CONFIG utility and have it write new I/O, IRQ and DMA settings to the EEPROM though. So I tried all combinations of those, again, to no avail.

I've even tried installing the old SB-PRO drivers (still have my original disk!) and using that mixer, but the sound is still stuttering and clipping even at half the volume. (Again, only when there's action on the screen)

On the hardware side, I've tried re-seating the card, putting it in another ISA slot, toggling the BIOS from Plug & Play and back again, and I got the same results.

Sadly, I don't have another sound card to try in this system, and the only other graphics cards I have right now are AGP (in case the local video was the problem).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reply 157 of 180, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kiz Urazgubi wrote on 2021-04-18, 03:17:
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forums. What brought me to this wonderful oasis is a troublesome Aztech Sound Card / […]
Show full quote

Hey everyone, this is my first post on the forums. What brought me to this wonderful oasis is a troublesome Aztech Sound Card / Modem combo, specifically this exact one:

Re: Aztech Sound Galaxy cards

I picked up a Packard Bell Legend 436CDT (Pentium 75) in hopes of turning into a Plain Vanilla DOS and Windows 3.11 machine. It has on-board video, and the only card installed is the Aztech Sound Card.
The problem is, the sound quality is really poor. FM Music rapidly stutters and sounds like it's coming in way too hot / clipping.
Digital sound is fine, except when there's any kind of movement on-screen. (Bulldozing something in SimCity 2000 for example alternates between the "kaboom" sound and the animation frame.) In Ascendancy or Leisure Suit Larry 7 (consistent background music with lots of animation) the music basically "vibrates."

I grew up resolving IRQ and COM port conflicts, (in fact my original SB-PRO in my 286 had a similar problem, and it was just a simple IRQ conflict) but I've tried every combination to no avail. I think the IRQ and COM jumpers on the board are there for the modem, anyway.
I've tried several of the closest drivers available from the site (There isn't an exact match for I38-MMSN834) including the NXPro16, Nova16, Galaxy Pro 16II, and while all of them get the sound card to "work," when trying to access any of the utilities like the diagnostics, setvol, tsr mixer, etc. I just get a "Sound Card Not Detected!!!" error. Ironically, I CAN run the CONFIG utility and have it write new I/O, IRQ and DMA settings to the EEPROM though. So I tried all combinations of those, again, to no avail.

I've even tried installing the old SB-PRO drivers (still have my original disk!) and using that mixer, but the sound is still stuttering and clipping even at half the volume. (Again, only when there's action on the screen)

On the hardware side, I've tried re-seating the card, putting it in another ISA slot, toggling the BIOS from Plug & Play and back again, and I got the same results.

Sadly, I don't have another sound card to try in this system, and the only other graphics cards I have right now are AGP (in case the local video was the problem).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Have you tried slowing down CPU with setmul?

Reply 158 of 180, by Kiz Urazgubi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2021-04-18, 03:33:

Have you tried slowing down CPU with setmul?

It's an OEM card in its original system. I don't see why I would need to slow down the CPU to get the card to work.