VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 36060 of 52354, by alfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mpe wrote on 2020-09-19, 11:33:
Also arrived today. Micronics-branded dual socket 5 / 430NX. IBM part made by Micronics in full-AT form factor. […]
Show full quote

Also arrived today. Micronics-branded dual socket 5 / 430NX. IBM part made by Micronics in full-AT form factor.

DSC_7996-scaled.jpeg

Cool! Glad to see I'm not the only one obsessed with socket 5 and Neptune. In my opinion it is the platform for ultimate dos machine. Do you know if it can run p133?

Reply 36061 of 52354, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I have the IBM version of that board 😀

Mine seems capable to autodetect CPUs up to 166MHz
See photos here
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/3002

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 36062 of 52354, by alfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2020-09-19, 13:44:

Mine seems capable to autodetect CPUs up to 166MHz

166! Righteous! What about the extra AT connector - is it optional or proprietary? I'm on the fence about snatching an Intel's board, partly because of this and smd electrolytes. Yikes.

tbontb neptune.jpg
Filename
tbontb neptune.jpg
File size
258.75 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 36063 of 52354, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not a extra AT connector, this board has no AT connector. Instead it has two PS/2 ports, one is the keyboard, the other is the mouse 😀
If you pay attention you can see traces for a actual AT connector though.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 36066 of 52354, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You certainly don't find 2400bps Hayes modems at Goodwill very often. Of course the annoying 9VAC power supply is missing, though.

b2yklQh.jpg

Last edited by EvieSigma on 2020-09-21, 02:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 36067 of 52354, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-09-20, 00:28:
You certainly don't find 2400bps Hayes modems at Goodwill very often. Of course the annoying 9VAC power supply is missing, thoug […]
Show full quote

You certainly don't find 2400bps Hayes modems at Goodwill very often. Of course the annoying 9VAC power supply is missing, though.

EiS5EI0XkAQnXAL?format=jpg&name=large

It looks like twitter doesn't allow external image linking, but that's a nice modem 😀 try uploading to imgur or directly to vogons to see if that allows it to load on here.
I assume that thing is as long as the old courier modems?

Reply 36068 of 52354, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
You certainly don't find 2400bps Hayes modems at Goodwill very often. Of course the annoying 9VAC power supply is missing, thoug […]
Show full quote

Nice ! Yes Goodwill is bad at not keeping the AC adapter with the unit intended (so they can get a few extra $ selling it separate). Did you look over the shelves to see if it was in with cables and stuff ?
I keep my eye out for any external serial modem, have yet to find a decent 2400 but have found a few 28.8 and 33.6

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 36069 of 52354, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2020-09-20, 00:42:
Show full quote

It looks like twitter doesn't allow external image linking, but that's a nice modem 😀 try uploading to imgur or directly to vogons to see if that allows it to load on here.

I can see the image. It's an external modem.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 36070 of 52354, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got another Versa in (P/75, Pentium 75 that is, and last laptop to use the PC-4xx platform)

And for it I've ordered another 80GB Seagate Momentous 44Pin 2.5" IDE ATA-133 HDD. Perfect fit as this Versa will be the Win9x Versa.

Attachments

• seagatemomentous.jpg
    Filename
    seagatemomentous.jpg
    File size
    21.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Seagate 5400RPM ATA-133 PATA 2.5" Drive - My approvide "huge drive" of choice for NEC Versa PC-4xx series Laptops
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • p75.jpg
    Filename
    p75.jpg
    File size
    84.73 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC Versa P/75 Pentium 75 system
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 36071 of 52354, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

You should leave this on the dashboard of your car, it looks like and old-school radar detector 😂

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 36073 of 52354, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You certainly don't find 2400bps Hayes modems at Goodwill very often.

What's the point of collecting modems these days? Is it just to have one in your collection/shelf or is there any use to these?

Reply 36074 of 52354, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote on 2020-09-20, 00:42:
Show full quote

I had the same thing. I have "Strict" mode enabled in Firefox for tracking and it blocked that photo. I remember stacks of Courier modems at a local guy's house back in the 80s and 90s when he ran a local BBS. Always looks impressive when the dial-up lines are full and the blinky lights are in full movement.

Reply 36075 of 52354, by martinot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alfer wrote on 2020-09-19, 13:35:
mpe wrote on 2020-09-19, 11:33:
Also arrived today. Micronics-branded dual socket 5 / 430NX. IBM part made by Micronics in full-AT form factor. […]
Show full quote

Also arrived today. Micronics-branded dual socket 5 / 430NX. IBM part made by Micronics in full-AT form factor.

DSC_7996-scaled.jpeg

Cool! Glad to see I'm not the only one obsessed with socket 5 and Neptune. In my opinion it is the platform for ultimate dos machine. Do you know if it can run p133?

Probably a big waste with DOS games as I do not know of any which can make use of both Pentiums?

Reply 36076 of 52354, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
austinham wrote on 2020-09-18, 14:45:
Aren't you the guy that complains about not having money to buy "over priced computer parts" ? and you go an pay 90$ for a parts […]
Show full quote
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-09-13, 22:03:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dR0AAOSwS79fWQhu/s-l1600.jpg […]
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg

I bought this scrap lot for $90 shipped. Kinda risky at the price, but there's a BFG 7900GS OC in that lot and that's worth $200 or so alone if it works. The seller didn't have any other desktop PC parts listed so that lends some possibility of truth to these being untested as you would need a PC with a fairly beefy PSU to test most of those. They seem to deal in surplus. I actually have a non-functional 7900GS that came from a similar lot that had about 3 working cards out of 8.......

Multiple extremely failure prone GeForce 8000 series cards
An extremely failure prone 7900GS
multiple failure prone Radeon cards.
This totally hasn't bitten my ass before....

Something tells me this lot of cards came from a PC store that shut down, and these were dead pulls.

Why did I talk myself into this again? YOLO. Me need 7900GS AGP.

Aren't you the guy that complains about not having money to buy "over priced computer parts" ? and you go an pay 90$ for a parts lot that is likely all dead and junk? You could have gotten a 7900 for not a whole lot more if you waited for one to pop up on eBay for a good price. They tend to sell every now and then for a little over 100$

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-09-13, 22:32:

8800GTXs are the best of the 8 series for reliability.

Did you forget the 8400?

The 8400 barely counts as a GPU.

Also, someone like you might not realize or experience this, but as one grows older and gains experience they usually acquire new skills which lead to higher paying job opportunities. The part where I complain is when single parts that were fairly common items start selling for $300+. 3DFX shit should not command the price they do, given the quantity of them produced.

At any rate so far I haven't gotten completely f***** with this deal:

* The Gigabyte GTX 285 works
* One of the EVGA 8800GTS 320MB's work (the other two are dead)
* The XFX Radeon HD 4890 works.
* The XFX Radeon HD 5770 works.
* The OEM GeForce GT 720 works.

The Radeon 3850 was dead but I swear I have a 3850 around here somewhere (my Excel spreadsheet disagrees with me though). So so far 5 out of 8 that I've tested have worked. I still have a couple of PCIE cards to test, then I'm pulling out an AGP system to test the 7800GS and a random TNT2 32M they threw into the lot.

EDIT:

The 7800GS works, and the Quadro 600 works. The TNT2 and the GeForce G100 were both dead.

On a side note a GeForce2 GTS 64MB that I had bought as working, but with a bad cooler doesn't work at all. It's completely and totally dead. So that seller will be getting a very negative review very shortly.
EDIT: It's ridiculous I have to wait 7 days to slam this seller with negative feedback.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 36077 of 52354, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a box of hardware for about 40 EUR this week and it contained a bunch of different AGP videocards (Viper 550, Radeon a7000, Radeon 850PRO) and some generic PCI networkcards. Also a TerraTec Xfire 1024 sound card, which is ok.

But this major prizes were these two beauty's!

VxgfWim.jpg
mJIQRWH.jpg

First one, unmistakenly the SB 64 AWE Gold! I've swapped it out with my SB16 and have not looked back ever since. The output is fantastic (no more hisses and beeps I'm used to from the SB16) and it works great. Even though it has no real OPL3 chip, the emulation is really spot-on from what I've seen so far. Really happy with this. This card was one of the few remaining items on my wishlist for my Pentium 233, so I'm glad I finally got my hands on it. 😀

Second one is a NEC XR385, which is a Yahama DB60XG clone. 4 mb of gorgeous MIDI soundfonts! Going to have some fun trying this in several games that support it.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 36078 of 52354, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hezus wrote on 2020-09-20, 17:34:

Second one is a NEC XR385, which is a Yahama DB60XG clone. 4 mb of gorgeous MIDI soundfonts! Going to have some fun trying this in several games that support it.

awesome ^^
definitely a good box