VOGONS

First post, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

Just wondering if there is another website to buy vintage hardware. I have several weird experience from eBay sellers who sell vintage hardware.
Recently I tried to buy a 486 laptop, I sent seller a question about the LCD screen condition, this was the reply I got:

"Hello...i am curious why did u bring about the LCD condition? Did i say screen has issues? Did u see any defect by looking the pics? If you are not completely satisfied with the way it is please dont buy. "

Reply 1 of 21, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sangokushi wrote on 2020-09-19, 03:31:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Just wondering if there is another website to buy vintage hardware. I have several weird experience from eBay sellers who sell vintage hardware.
Recently I tried to buy a 486 laptop, I sent seller a question about the LCD screen condition, this was the reply I got:

"Hello...i am curious why did u bring about the LCD condition? Did i say screen has issues? Did u see any defect by looking the pics? If you are not completely satisfied with the way it is please dont buy. "

Garage sales

Reply 3 of 21, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.amibay.com

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 4 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Local Thrift stores, Craigslist, electronic recycler's are other places to check (though finding true "vintage" hardware at them is rare)....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 21, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish there was another venue, but truth is, there really isn't. Amibay is good if you're in Europe, but I am not. There's VCfed, but that's mostly interesting if you want really old stuff from the pre-PC era. And there's some Facebook groups, but they have low activity and a lot of junk.

I also don't think it's very realistic to find this stuff in the wild anymore at tag sales and what not unless you want to take up the hobby for largely unrelated reasons anyway. Really old computers rarely to never show up. Most got thrown out or "recycled" some decades ago, and will still get thrown out prior to any yard sale or by a thrift shop in the sorting process, but you might find black plastic Pentium 4 era stuff if that's your thing.

Reply 6 of 21, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At my webshop 😀

With some search effort you should also be able to find various traders with own webshops that sell old hardware. Most of them are also on ebay, but usually the prices for their items are higher on ebay. On the other hand sometimes their assortment at their own webshops is larger.

You might also be able to still find old hardware at thrift stores, but then you'd better not be picky 😀

I think ebay is still quite a good place to find old hardware, but you need to put in some effort to find the right items at the right sellers. Sometimes that means having patience.

Reply 8 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2020-09-19, 19:54:
Third time I've tried to register: […]
Show full quote
debs3759 wrote on 2020-09-19, 10:54:

Third time I've tried to register:

XyvhFIn.jpg

Had issues with their site before, seems they do not like many USA based IP's or you are choosing a username that they do not like. Think it was my user name that they did not like IIRC (I like to use the same when it comes to old hardware)...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 9 of 21, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That message just looks like they haven't set up stopforumspam properly, so nobody can register at their site at all.

Should sort itself out, when the admin wakes up. 😜

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 10 of 21, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
radiounix wrote on 2020-09-19, 16:30:

you might find black plastic Pentium 4 era stuff if that's your thing.

Beige or bust!

eBay is not great for a lot of reasons. But sometimes that's all the access you have to other markets.

Reply 11 of 21, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

honestly, i have buy only few vintage hardware on ebay. Last (cheap) buy was a S3 Vision 864 VLB video-card, for researching of VLB interface for S3 Vision 968 VLB project.

Most came it from recycling centre in my homeland. Official is it not allowed, to take of scrap, but a wardress (yes women) allows only me 😀
Last found: Highscreen kompakt series II with 386SX and Plantron Mini Tower mit 386SX PC. Both runs fine except empty battery.

Reply 12 of 21, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-09-20, 02:10:

That message just looks like they haven't set up stopforumspam properly, so nobody can register at their site at all.

Amibay said the same message many days when I tried to register there, some months back. So either it is a permanent condition, or a regular one.

Reply 13 of 21, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2020-09-20, 15:29:
schmatzler wrote on 2020-09-20, 02:10:

Amibay said the same message many days when I tried to register there, some months back. So either it is a permanent condition, or a regular one.

If anyone here is also a member of Amibay, could you send a message to their admin that it's no longer possible to sign up for the forum? I've tried several times over the past couple of weeks, and the result is always the same.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 14 of 21, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2020-10-05, 01:35:

If anyone here is also a member of Amibay, could you send a message to their admin that it's no longer possible to sign up for the forum? I've tried several times over the past couple of weeks, and the result is always the same.

I just sent them a message about this issue. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 15 of 21, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2020-10-05, 01:45:
Repo Man11 wrote on 2020-10-05, 01:35:

I just sent them a message about this issue. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Thank you.

Reply 16 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just registered a new account and had no issues doing so. However have not received the confirmation email yet so cannot post but can certainly read and the login worked.
I suggest you do not use a VPN to create an account or some IP that has multiple access (like a business)...will update when I get the email....

Attachments

Reply 17 of 21, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-10-05, 02:54:

I just registered a new account and had no issues doing so. However have not received the confirmation email yet so cannot post but can certainly read and the login worked.
I suggest you do not use a VPN to create an account or some IP that has multiple access (like a business)...will update when I get the email....

I rent a room from my cousin, and she has AT&T Uverse. There are multiple phones and computers that connect to the internet through it, and while I do have a VPN, I don't always use it, and I've never been the times I've tried to register with Amibay.

Reply 18 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Repo Man11 wrote on 2020-10-05, 03:08:
Horun wrote on 2020-10-05, 02:54:

I rent a room from my cousin, and she has AT&T Uverse. There are multiple phones and computers that connect to the internet through it, and while I do have a VPN, I don't always use it, and I've never been the times I've tried to register with Amibay.

Interesting. Am wondering if the AT&T Uverse may be similar to Comcasts Xfinity hot spots where many of them share same main IP (not the true branch IP) which the website may not like. Just a thought.....
I did get the email to activate but have to wait for a "Mod" to finalize it or cannot post there off that account.
Hope it did not screw up my other account 😒

Reply 19 of 21, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Admin at Amibay replied to my message saying that anyone who is having trouble registering needs to contact them. You can do so using the link at the bottom right of any page. They can then manually add you, after which you will need to change your password to one you or your password manager can remember. The problem being that some email domains are wrongly flagged. I vaguely remember having to do the same when I registered.