Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 36121 of 52622, by brt02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New in box Asus PCH-DL. Intel 875P/6300ESB based dual socket 604 board

MJWIrrll.jpg

Already have a PC-DL, but saw this come up and could not help myself.

Intel OR840 | Dual P3 1GHz - 1GB PC800 RDRAM - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro - Creative Audigy 2ZS - Lian Li PC-65 - W98/W2K

Reply 36122 of 52622, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've been drinking the 486 Koolaid lately and I decided I wanted to get into it. I don't really have a history with the 486 and yet here I am. I believe my first (family) computer was a Packard Bell with an early Pentium. Well maybe one of those school computers were likely a 386/486.

Anyways I bought this 486 mainboard (Epox GXA486SPM) along with a DX2, a Am5x86, and some unknown ram. Its missing it eprom chip, but I have a programmer arriving today. So we'll see how that goes.

Then I bought an entire 386sx computer because I just wanted the case. So now I guess I have a 386 as well. I don't even know how to get started with this, but I guess I'll figure it out as I go along.

The main thing I'm worried about is that PSU. I wouldn't know how to check it for safety.

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_153433.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200923_153433.jpg
    File size
    1.25 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Am I supposed to cut this off if I want to remove the PSU from the case?
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20200921_192854.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200921_192854.jpg
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    The varta battery looks like shit but it doesn't look like its ruined anything around it.
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20200921_193057.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200921_193057.jpg
    File size
    1.21 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_20200921_193253.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20200921_193253.jpg
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Epox GXA486SPM
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 36123 of 52622, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't cut the wires!! From the looks of it you need to remove the whole front bezel of the case first. Then you will have access to two screws that will enable you to remove the PSU switch from the case. The PSU switch is attached to the PSU cables and the black adhesive tape is there for a reason, so that there's no wire exposed (these carry mains voltage). Leave it as it is.

However the whole thing looks quite clean to me, I'm not sure you need to remove the PSU from the case...

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 36125 of 52622, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not a tape. This is thick wall heat shrink tubing. Soldered, don't mess with this, just unscrew the switch from the chassis, but this involves removing the plastic bezel off the metal chassis first.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 36126 of 52622, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice stuff Aublak,
See if you can get some L2 cache chips in the future. Depending on the software you're running, improvement may vary a lot. From a few percent to 50.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 36127 of 52622, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Look, I've had my Model 50 486 wide open recently and been testing out some cards. Clone is just that.. a clone.

EurGLYoh.jpg

So this post is about a great little tool I got along with it (made in Taiwan, not China):

eEDg2Mfh.jpg?1

And so I punched a hole with it, the first time in my life..ever. Didn't even practice.

6Nb5Fgmh.jpg?2

Perfect hole. Snug fit, far better than adapting a bracket from a Token Ring card. Secure fit imo, but not screwed down to the card. Take your blank cover to be punched from the memory expansion board or similar to make it a notch above this.

Reply 36128 of 52622, by Aublak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like I said earlier I picked up a AM5x86. And I did some research on it and the board. And I dunno if my 486 board is compatible due to voltages.

However I did remember seeing a weird AM5x86 at the recycler. It was soldered to a bunch of sandwiched boards. I think it was a 5x86 with a voltage regulator. hmm. The recycler is a pretty cool guy, he might let me trade my current 5x86 for the modified one if it comes to that.

MMaximus wrote on 2020-09-23, 19:51:

Don't cut the wires!! From the looks of it you need to remove the whole front bezel of the case first. Then you will have access to two screws that will enable you to remove the PSU switch from the case. The PSU switch is attached to the PSU cables and the black adhesive tape is there for a reason, so that there's no wire exposed (these carry mains voltage). Leave it as it is.

However the whole thing looks quite clean to me, I'm not sure you need to remove the PSU from the case...

Oh, okay. I see. Yes, I have to remove the front cover. I feel like such a retard. I still want to open up that PSU and looking inside. That PSU is older than me. The thought of sending currents through that thing makes me uneasy.

Yeah, its super pristine. You could even call it shiny. Its been living in a very dust-free environment.

Attachments

Reply 36129 of 52622, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an ADZ 133MHz 5x86 myself with the Aries VRM. It's a wonder piece of history.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 36130 of 52622, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aublak wrote on 2020-09-23, 22:38:
Like I said earlier I picked up a AM5x86. And I did some research on it and the board. And I dunno if my 486 board is compatible […]
Show full quote

Like I said earlier I picked up a AM5x86. And I did some research on it and the board. And I dunno if my 486 board is compatible due to voltages.

However I did remember seeing a weird AM5x86 at the recycler. It was soldered to a bunch of sandwiched boards. I think it was a 5x86 with a voltage regulator. hmm. The recycler is a pretty cool guy, he might let me trade my current 5x86 for the modified one if it comes to that.

Oh, okay. I see. Yes, I have to remove the front cover. I feel like such a retard. I still want to open up that PSU and looking inside. That PSU is older than me. The thought of sending currents through that thing makes me uneasy.

Yeah, its super pristine. You could even call it shiny. Its been living in a very dust-free environment.

The IBM PSU in my IBM AT which was manufactured in 1984 is still going strong!

Reply 36131 of 52622, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-09-24, 00:40:
Like I said earlier I picked up a AM5x86. And I did some research on it and the board. And I dunno if my 486 board is compatible […]
Show full quote

The IBM PSU in my IBM AT which was manufactured in 1984 is still going strong!

Back in the day when they made capacitors right.

Reply 36132 of 52622, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Aublak wrote on 2020-09-23, 19:39:

Then I bought an entire 386sx computer because I just wanted the case. So now I guess I have a 386 as well. I don't even know how to get started with this, but I guess I'll figure it out as I go along.
The main thing I'm worried about is that PSU. I wouldn't know how to check it for safety.

That is a good looking 386 desktop. Hope it works well.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 36133 of 52622, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That PSU is older than me. The thought of sending currents through that thing makes me uneasy.

Will probably be more reliable than many modern PSUs.

Usually looking at it is fine, but it's either already dead or it's working fine and just looking at it won't make a difference. You will be able to identify burnt components or leaking caps, but if some component is burnt it probably already failed open so the PSU will most likely not power on anyway and the damage has already been done, and leaking caps will usually not cause the PSU to blow up or not power on. If some component already failed in storage then looking at it will not allow you to identify any problem and the PSU might still blow up, so what I'm trying to say is that you will have to power it on and see what happens in any case.

Reply 36134 of 52622, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-09-24, 01:12:

Back in the day when they made capacitors right.

When they exploded, they did so properly, and filled the room with acrid smoke letting you know that its ok that you just crapped your pants when it went bang!

I'm referring to both RIFA safety paper capacitors, and also old tantalum capacitors.

Reply 36135 of 52622, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
20200924_131114.jpg
Filename
20200924_131114.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Took me some time to find one at a reasonable price. Finally have a Voodoo Card with 6mb (Miro Hiscore 3D).

Sadly came without the VGA to Mini Din 9-Pin cable. So if sb knows how to get one of these, that would be very much appreciated!

20200924_131025.jpg
Filename
20200924_131025.jpg
File size
701.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 36137 of 52622, by Williwinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-09-24, 12:32:

Worst case you could make your own cable if you can't find a factory one.

If i can't find one, i will. Btw while looking for it i came across a guy from germany that runs an inofficial support-page for MIRO products.

Very cool guy. Gave me the pin-layout for it.

http://www.mirosupport.de/

Reply 36139 of 52622, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's Miro day today it seems. Here's what I just received:

IMG_20200924_151911.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200924_151911.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Great serendipity. Was lamenting not having an OPL4-based wavetable card while discussing somebody's Miro PCM20. What turned up on a local site literally minutes later for a very reasonable price? Yep, this beauty.

Amusingly the topic also referenced a Terratec Maestro 32/96, and sure enough this seller also had one of those too 😜
(and no, I'm sure it's not the same person)

Unfortunately that one was priced closer to the going rate, more than I'm currently able to justify to myself, so let that one pass.