VOGONS

Roland MT-32

Topic actions

First post, by Mark_81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys
At the moment, how much can it cost more or less? it is difficult to find one in good conditions
Is it still worth it, or Nowdays Emulator Munt is on par?
thanks

Reply 1 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can get an MT-32 for a good price, then go for it. Nothing beats the original hardware.

However, considering the current prices, MUNT is your best option. Phil (Philscomputerlab) made a video about it some time ago. The most expensive component you will need to buy will probably be the Roland UM-ONE MK2 USB MIDI Interface. The rest are free and/or you probably already have lying around.

Reply 2 of 12, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Old hardware is always fun, although I'm not aware of a significant technical reason to prefer it. In general, Munt is now extremely accurate, although the legality of the ROM files is a grey area. You can check with sergm if you have questions about specific hardware versions, their bugs or quirks, and what stage Munt is at in replicating them.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was going to suggest the Roland RA-50 as a mostly MT-32 (newer version) compatible, but their prices have shot up in the last 2 weeks . They are still cheaper than an MT-32, though . They need a relatively simply hardware mod for full MT-32 compatibility (or you can use Softmpu or a Hardmpu).
Roland RA-50, RA-90 and RA-95 doubts about purchase or not

Reply 5 of 12, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mark_81 wrote on 2020-07-03, 22:27:

Which Would be in your opinion a good price? consider Shopping cost for Europe..I live in EU..
It makes sense to connect ti a modern pc?

A good way to have an idea of the going rate is to look at completed auctions where the item actually sold (though there are probably some fake results in there where the seller and buyer are the same person and trying to inflate apparent market value).

Connecting to an MT-32 to a modern PC for use in DOSBOX makes sense to me . For years I used mine like that (before I got a retro machine).

Reply 6 of 12, by FatalXCept10n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an old MT-32, and recently plugged in everything. IMMEDIATE LOUD STATIC NOISE unaffected by the volume knob. I tried other sources and normal audio from the speakers. I tried other adapters to rule out the 1/4-1/8 converter, but the noise persists. I started to recap the board, but it is very time-consuming, and my skillset is not the greatest. Any ideas what components to look at?

Reply 7 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FatalXCept10n wrote on 2020-09-20, 16:05:

I have an old MT-32, and recently plugged in everything. IMMEDIATE LOUD STATIC NOISE unaffected by the volume knob. I tried other sources and normal audio from the speakers. I tried other adapters to rule out the 1/4-1/8 converter, but the noise persists. I started to recap the board, but it is very time-consuming, and my skillset is not the greatest. Any ideas what components to look at?

Hi, I have got an old MT-32, too, but not the same issue.
Can you please, if possible, attach a sample recording of a few seconds?
Maybe this helps us a bit, not sure. 🙁

Generally speaking, the power supply can also be the cause.
The original power brick was a transformer-based, for example.
So far, I've never tried a switching PSU with my MT-32.
Please double check polarity. A ferrite clip can also be used to get rid of coating waves.

Sorry for my poor English, haven't slept enough.😴

Edit: It wouldn't hurt to check the the voltage regulator also (7805 series?).
On the other hand, if it was broken safely, the MT-32 should be silent.
Anyway, no need to panic. These are just some random thoughts of mine.
On vogons, there are many MT-32 fans around. I'm confident they can help.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 12, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I started out with emulation first, but afterwards I just bought an MT-32 because I really like the way it looks. Especially seeing that green LED makes me a happy PC user. And the occasional funny message that gets projected on the LCD by certain games is also worth it to me. That's something you don't have with an emulator.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 9 of 12, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2020-09-24_11-00_2.png
Filename
2020-09-24_11-00_2.png
File size
30.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2020-09-24_11-00_1.png
Filename
2020-09-24_11-00_1.png
File size
13.76 KiB
Views
File license
2020-09-24_11-00.png
Filename
2020-09-24_11-00.png
File size
13.83 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 10 of 12, by FatalXCept10n

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-09-21, 08:46:
Hi, I have got an old MT-32, too, but not the same issue. Can you please, if possible, attach a sample recording of a few second […]
Show full quote
FatalXCept10n wrote on 2020-09-20, 16:05:

Hi, I have got an old MT-32, too, but not the same issue.
Can you please, if possible, attach a sample recording of a few seconds?
Maybe this helps us a bit, not sure. 🙁

Generally speaking, the power supply can also be the cause.
The original power brick was a transformer-based, for example.
So far, I've never tried a switching PSU with my MT-32.
Please double check polarity. A ferrite clip can also be used to get rid of coating waves.

Sorry for my poor English, haven't slept enough.😴

Edit: It wouldn't hurt to check the the voltage regulator also (7805 series?).
On the other hand, if it was broken safely, the MT-32 should be silent.
Anyway, no need to panic. These are just some random thoughts of mine.
On vogons, there are many MT-32 fans around. I'm confident they can help.

Here are the specs on the ps I have:

Roland MT-32 multi timbre sound module
These aftermarket power supplies are new in box and have never been used. Center negative pin as required by these products. Do not use positive center pin power supplies with these units! It will damage them.

Specifications:
I/P AC:100V~240VAC
50-60Hz
O/P DC:9V DC 1A
Cord: 36in
Tip: (-)center, (+)outer

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-09-27, 20:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 12, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can say that when I occasionally in the last 20 years have used the wrong polarity with the MT-32, it loads, but has loud static. So the PS is probably the issue if it is the wrong polarity. Do you have another from a synth or other equipment to test?