VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 36220 of 52680, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally got a XT IDE Bios chip, configured for a 286 from eBay today

Plugged it into a Realtek Ethernet that I pulled outa some random Compaq Pentium MMX anndd....no dice. Both 286 boards I have don't seem to wanna mess with it. Ethernet card light blinks for a second and... nothing.

Probably shoulda just got a pre built XT IDE card 😒

Reply 36221 of 52680, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-09-30, 05:16:

Plugged it into a Realtek Ethernet that I pulled outa some random Compaq Pentium MMX anndd....no dice. Both 286 boards I have don't seem to wanna mess with it. Ethernet card light blinks for a second and... nothing.

Its not that easy. You need to configure the ROM socket on the NIC. Search for the config software if its a jumperless card. The blinking light has nothing to do with the ROM.

Reply 36222 of 52680, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Silly question but is your ROM enabled on the network card? Some cards have a jumper for this, others need a DOS utility.

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 36223 of 52680, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MMaximus wrote on 2020-09-30, 06:28:

Silly question but is your ROM enabled on the network card? Some cards have a jumper for this, others need a DOS utility.

It's junperless. Seems to be. RTL-8019 bases card.

I have a feeling you might be right on the DOS utility being needed, but iv never dealt with eithernet cards before so I have no idea where to start for a possible utility.

Attachments

Reply 36225 of 52680, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote on 2020-09-30, 06:37:

Google?
https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/cate … 8019as-software

DOS - Setup program and basic diagnostic

Don't try searching for drivers at 12:30 AM after a long day 😎.

Thanks! Il have a go at this tommorow 😀

Reply 36226 of 52680, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought this early Pentium 4 computer case, but I think I can get away with installing a higher-end Pentium III system, judging by its looks, which was my primary goal why I bought it.

Attachments

• IMG_9974.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9974.JPG
    File size
    100.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 36227 of 52680, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went to pick up a dead Turbo XT machine today and ended up with a bonus 486SX/25!

The 486 was suffering from a case of bad Varta and also had a blown tantalum on the -12V rail that was shorting out the PSU. Patient was rushed into the operating theatre for immediate Vartasectomy and vinegar cleanse. After appropriate blood sacrifice, 220VAC was reapplied and lo! The AMIBIOS did appear! Only time will tell whether the motherboard has been fully cleansed of the corrosive gunk.

The 486 is rocking a nice OPTi chipset and three VLB slots, but didn't have any VLB cards. Just a 16-bit TVGA9000i and a generic Super I/O. Lame. New mission objective: obtain VLB video card.

Attachments

Reply 36228 of 52680, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Say "Hi!" To the ultimate 486 team 😀

Attachments

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 36229 of 52680, by mcmaxmcmc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MMaximus wrote on 2018-12-28, 14:37:
Bought this lot yesterday from a hoarder: 8 desktops PCs ranging from Socket 7 to Pentium 4. 3 old keyboards, loads of floppies […]
Show full quote

Bought this lot yesterday from a hoarder: 8 desktops PCs ranging from Socket 7 to Pentium 4. 3 old keyboards, loads of floppies and 30-pin and 72-pin RAM sticks.

I might resell most of these locally without even cleaning them as It's not really an era I'm passionate about and I don't have so much time to spend on them, but of course I'll look if there are any interesting cards in them first...

XoCxy8Kl.jpg

ZpJ76iOl.jpg?2

I know this is a post from two years ago, but do you still have the EGT Cirius 3000 keyboard by any chance? I would like some better pictures of it. 😀

Seems like this thing is quite a unicorn, so if you can help me, that'd be awesome!

Reply 36230 of 52680, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just bought a soundblaster Live 5.1 (SB0100) card. No special reason, just because it was cheap (for the local standard), about $8 shipping included. Seller picture:

https://http2.mlstatic.com/tarjeta-de-sonido- … 5_092020-F.webp

Reply 36231 of 52680, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IBM PS/1 Audio Card is a great device to have (PS. I believe a bare version of this card was posted here a while back - congrats for that one lucky member!) .

Now, if I remember correctly, only a few of the original PS/1 series (2011/2121) were equipped with ISA slots (Model 2121-B82 which I have got 2 slots). For the model 2011 you would need to use a relatively hard-to-find ACU (Adapter Card Unit) extension (which I also got)..but still I am loving the fact that with this PS/1 Audio Card I can get sounds out from the monitor and bypass any external amplification/speakers.

I have a bare version of this card in my other Model 2011 and being the great device it is I obviously didn't want to turn it down when I was offered a boxed variant.

There originally were two different bundles, the one I got is the "worse" of the two with no Silpheed/Joystick/MIDI box.

MQBcCsJh.jpg

"CARMEN SANDIEGO" bundle, I would prefer Silpheed over this.

JMAR9Nyh.jpg

"Do not break seal"..right, but I intend to use her.

P65gKHxh.jpg

Looks legit to me.

991GhZSh.jpg

Now this was a surprise to my liking! As said, I didn't get the joystick bundle but the seller had included one free of charge (I never requested for it so this was a complete surprise).

aE0Vel8h.jpg

Lastly, this is the MIDI box - I have never tried it so no better knowledge over here of what it is good for.

5Jezzgph.jpg

Reply 36232 of 52680, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Received Proliant 1500 board and power supply. Next purchase find the processor card. These are more simpler since the power supply has power switch. Just larger than normal.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 36233 of 52680, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kdr wrote on 2020-09-30, 11:04:

.Patient was rushed into the operating theatre for immediate Vartasectomy and vinegar cleanse.

Vartasectomy .. Nice to finally know the correct medical term!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 36234 of 52680, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-09-29, 22:33:
unfortunately not, but I assume the drivers for the 34010 and 34020 are the same? see this thread: EIZO MD-B12 TIGA TMS34010 […]
Show full quote
Deksor wrote on 2020-09-29, 20:53:

Dat SPEA Graphiti FGA 1/HE TIGA+VGA card 😁

Do you have the original disks that came with it ?
I found one in the wild a year ago, but couldn't get it to work. Drivers are very hard to come by for these 🙁

unfortunately not, but I assume the drivers for the 34010 and 34020 are the same?
see this thread: EIZO MD-B12 TIGA TMS34010

Predator99 wrote on 2020-09-29, 21:14:

Nice cards Imi! Would also like to see the SPEA running 😉

will definitely try with the drivers you linked ^^

I have some drivers for these.

Will share once I can.

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 36236 of 52680, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2020-09-30, 05:11:

I managed to pick myself up a Matrox Millennium, specifically one of the 4MB versions. It's in remarkably good condition for a $5 purchase.

Such solid, quality 2D cards. They are all I ever used back in the day - especially when pairing with 3DFX cards.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 36237 of 52680, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rikukos wrote on 2020-09-30, 17:39:
IBM PS/1 Audio Card is a great device to have (PS. I believe a bare version of this card was posted here a while back - congrats […]
Show full quote

IBM PS/1 Audio Card is a great device to have (PS. I believe a bare version of this card was posted here a while back - congrats for that one lucky member!) .

Now, if I remember correctly, only a few of the original PS/1 series (2011/2121) were equipped with ISA slots (Model 2121-B82 which I have got 2 slots). For the model 2011 you would need to use a relatively hard-to-find ACU (Adapter Card Unit) extension (which I also got)..but still I am loving the fact that with this PS/1 Audio Card I can get sounds out from the monitor and bypass any external amplification/speakers.

I have a bare version of this card in my other Model 2011 and being the great device it is I obviously didn't want to turn it down when I was offered a boxed variant.

There originally were two different bundles, the one I got is the "worse" of the two with no Silpheed/Joystick/MIDI box.

Holy cow - well done and congrats!!! That... is... awesome.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 36238 of 52680, by mcmaxmcmc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! This is my first post as an introduction. Hopefully I'll be more active in the future. 😁

This wasn't "Today", but you get the deal.

I stumbled upon a Mitsubishi MAXY laptop in Japan, so I decided to buy it. Boy, was shipping cripping, though... The machine doesn't even work, but I figure it's rare enough to not care about that so much.

At least I got something to match it. 😀

Pictures

sVDuvJP.jpgAIc5Uek.jpgiy8vcl7.jpgXcx0Bw1.jpgKWQwC6S.jpg44d3nEF.jpgPfWGc82.jpg