VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, I don't know if this is allowed, but I just thought I'd share that Alltronics, a surplus electronics dealer, has a cache of cheap NIB 90s-era computer stuff.

I put in a big order with them and got a box with the following:
An ALPS serial mouse
A parallel port switcher box
a right angle parallel cable
power supply monitor power plugs
CD-ROM sound cables
a SCSI internal ribbon cable
40 pin IDE and floppy ribbons
16-bit multi I/O cards with all case breakouts
ISA E-IDE controllers with LBA BIOS
16550 and ECP ISA comm boards
a thick, old style mousepad

I have no relation with the company other than as a customer, and I just thought this would be useful for fellow Vogoners looking for a cheap source of PC building parts and period accessories.

Reply 2 of 18, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-09-30, 00:22:

Perhaps you might provide a website link or information about where they are located?

Shipping costs often ruin what would otherwise be an excellent deal.

https://www.alltronics.com/

Oops. I forget we have a very international forum. They have a pretty pathetic shipping system and basically just use USPS flat rate boxes and bill you based upon the box size needed. No clue what they do for international buyers.

Reply 3 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bought some stuff from them back a bunch years ago, reasonable prices for what they have.
Not sure if this be of interest to any in USA but EVGA has GF6200 AGP video cards (512-A8-N403-RX) with 512Mb for $30 plus $8 shipping in the "B" grade https://www.evga.com/products/productlist.aspx?type=8 area.
They have a one year warranty and are 4x, 8x compatible. The EU website is out of them from what I could find: https://eu.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=512-A8-N403-RX
Not the best AGP card but if looking for one that will work and is factory restored it could be a good thing as a test card or for low end systems where you do not want to trust a Efly seller....

added: I know we cannot link to auctions but think linking to real online store sale does not violate the TOS here, please correct me if wrong. Thanks !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 18, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol! Alltronics has a product called "Bad Mother". Select the item and get a random 386 to Socket 7 motherboard for $20 that may or may not be functional.

I might have called it "Motherboard Roulette", but both names have their charms.

Reply 5 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2020-09-30, 17:17:

Lol! Alltronics has a product called "Bad Mother". Select the item and get a random 386 to Socket 7 motherboard for $20 that may or may not be functional.

I might have called it "Motherboard Roulette", but both names have their charms.

I saw this and thought about buying the 5 they do have.. could all be crap though.

Also saw that they have 256k async COAST modules (55 available) for $6.95 each.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 18, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like they have parts like resistors and capacitors a few times cheaper than mouser. Looks like I'll be putting in an international order soon for some motherboard and graphics card repairs 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 7 of 18, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-09-30, 18:24:
douglar wrote on 2020-09-30, 17:17:

I saw this and thought about buying the 5 they do have.. could all be crap though.

I spotted the Bad Mothers as well. Glad I don't have the money available today or I'd have bought the last 4, and I already have over 100 untested boards 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 9 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-10-01, 00:33:

They also have a IBM compatible add-in card (random) item on there. Probably all modems. 🤣

Hahhaaa, yes it does say dealers choice 😀
I remember what I bought from them many years ago: heatsink+fans, got a few for 486, a few for soc 370, and some 30mm x 10mm 5v fans for very reasonable. Still have a few of the fans and soc 370's stuff but did not see them in their listings....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 18, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-10-01, 01:14:

They also have a IBM compatible add-in card (random) item on there. Probably all modems. 🤣

I remember what I bought from them many years ago: heatsink+fans, got a few for 486, a few for soc 370, and some 30mm x 10mm 5v fans for very reasonable. Still have a few of the fans and soc 370's stuff but did not see them in their listings....

I just bought from them what I do believe to be a 486 heatsink/fan combo. It doesn't say as much, but it looks about the size of a 486 CPU and has a very squat heatsink that doesn't even look adequate for a Pentium 1. Should work if I ever get a DX4 system.

Also, I bet the random cards aren't all modems. Probably a mix of modems, generic Crystal sound boards, IDE/IO controllers and Realtek VGA.

Reply 12 of 18, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A place where you can buy vintage computer parts cheap? They must be getting a bump in traffic 😎

Now that they've been exposed, time remaining before they realize "what they have" and take a trip to eBay for price guides in..3...2...1.......

😜

Reply 13 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
radiounix wrote on 2020-10-02, 21:42:
Horun wrote on 2020-10-01, 01:14:

I just bought from them what I do believe to be a 486 heatsink/fan combo. It doesn't say as much, but it looks about the size of a 486 CPU and has a very squat heatsink that doesn't even look adequate for a Pentium 1. Should work if I ever get a DX4 system.

Also, I bet the random cards aren't all modems. Probably a mix of modems, generic Crystal sound boards, IDE/IO controllers and Realtek VGA.

Yes those TOPMOTOR are 486 H/S+fans, not high end but good enough for up thru DX4/AMD 133's. Am using one on anDX4 and a AMD 486-133 and the price is right !
Attached a picture showing same exact same: "Topmotor" am sure bought from them, yes it is a bit dirty been using it as a test CPU on various boards 😀
Yeah those random cards do say " May include video boards, drive controllers, modems, I/O cards, memory expansion". Would have bought one but are backordered.
They do have lots ISA IDE controllers, and some VLB ones too so they must be out of modems and vid cards ;p
Also: someone bought the remaining "bad mothers", I did buy one just as a gamble a few days ago plus a few more small fans....

Attachments

• Img_1330.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1330.jpg
    File size
    79.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-10-02, 22:31:

A place where you can buy vintage computer parts cheap? They must be getting a bump in traffic 😎

Now that they've been exposed, time remaining before they realize "what they have" and take a trip to eBay for price guides in..3...2...1.......

😜

Naah their prices are about same, maybe a little bit higher than a few years ago but not much. Fairly sure I paid about $3 for those Topmotor's, now at $3.95 and they have over 100..
Though a few of the HD controllers are listed as new so yeah those may go up, but over 100 ISA IDE controllers they probably would like to sell a bunch and recoup some money....

Reply 15 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thought I should update that those particular TOPMOTOR heatsinks and fans are 2" and for Pentiums not 486....

Reply 16 of 18, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked through all 11 pages of their computer stuff and searched for COAST and cache and found nothing. Was hoping they'd have one that would work on the HOT-541.

Reply 17 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlaricD wrote on 2020-10-23, 21:50:

I looked through all 11 pages of their computer stuff and searched for COAST and cache and found nothing. Was hoping they'd have one that would work on the HOT-541.

https://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/category.c … N332&type=store

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 18, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-23, 22:17:

D'oh, pretty sure I saw it but it didn't click with me what it was