Topic actions

Reply 120 of 192, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice work G!
A few little errors I found -
Home page:
Starting Points - links to 'artists' and 'downloads' are not working.
About page:
Glidos High Resolution textures - 1024 pixles(spelling error)
Installation and Contact pages - VDM Sound links not working
FAQ page:
Can I use these textures in my own projects? John Capon - Yes

Reply 122 of 192, by JC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I experimented by changing my screenshots and they seem to have found their own way of arranging themselves. Did I do something wrong? or are there rules to follow if I want them organised according to a different design?

Reply 125 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd really like to keep my master files as 'master' until we go live, Paul. Do you mind if I make any changes on my machine first then upload, otherwise we'll get into version control problems. For now, I'll download the files you changed. Cool?

Screenshots are now sorted alphabetically so if you want them in a particular order, I suggest starting the filenames with 01,02,03 etc... If you make any changes to the filenames, it's best to delete the thumbs folder so that the correct thumbs are auto-regenerated.

If you were trying to get thumbs to line up differently, you can't: the CSS controls this and you have a maximum of 15 thumbs that can be created, 5 rows of 3 columns.

Reply 126 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. You could maybe hand the batton over to me if you know you are going to have a period where you can't work on it, in case a problem comes up that holds up the artists.

I actually have all but the artists tree in my CVS repository. I could give you access. There's loads of advantages to CVS even if its just you making the changes.

Reply 127 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've never used CVS but we do use SVN at work with a Windows front end called Tortoise. I understand the principals. Is it easy to use?

Reply 128 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very easy once you get started, but a little fiddly to initially set up if you don't know it too well. I'll see if I can set up an account for you on my server, and then send you the stuff you would need to install in case you want to give it a try. For now though, you have the master.

Reply 131 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few notes for contributors:

You can write two separate descriptions of your self. A short one for the main artists page and a longer one for your individual page. These are just text files, but you can use basic HTML formatting in them. Please make sure you format them correctly and that all paragraphs are surrounded with <p></p> tags. Other basic tags you can use are: <strong>,<em>,<p>,<ul>,<ol>,<li>,<h3>,<h4> -- any other tags will be stripped out.

When uploading your packs, you can upload files with any extension, but I'd prefer it if you create a TESTED self-extracting archive. Any files in your download folder will be listed in your download table EXCEPT those that end in a .TXT extension. If you upload a .TXT file that has a filename that EXACTLY matches another uploaded file, the contents of the .TXT file will be used as the description. These files should be just plain text -- any HTML will be removed.

If you want to post a news item, create a HTML file in your News subfolder. The filename should be the title of the news item. Again, you can use HTML in this file with the same restrictions as above. The site automatically handles date ordering, pagination, etc...

Reply 132 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, I'd suggest that your self extracting archives install to C:\Program Files\Glidos, as default, with the Textures\<artist name> folders internal to the archive. This will leave less room for error for users who have install Glidos other than at its default.

And try to remember to remove all absolute paths from your mapping files.

Reply 133 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to see that JC and Anton are putting stuff up! Love the new Peru pack JC, had a quick play -- looking gorgeous!

Anton, feel free to post higher quality pictures of your screens. The ones you've put on there are very blurred/noisy and don't show off your work to it's best advantage.

Don't forget to write a little something in your description files guys. You need to use basic HTML which I hope you know a bit of. If not, let me know, I'll give you some tips.

It looks like I'm the only one who won't have any stuff worth putting up!

Reply 135 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, just not a single 100% complete pack yet....

I'll be offline after this coming weekend as I'm moving house and don't know when I'll be getting internet access in the new place.

Reply 137 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bare minimum

1) All contributors to write their two descriptions

Nice to haves:

1) Gambit (!) to clean up his title/caves pack to 1.33 and upload -- actually, this is too much work for this week -- I'll release it as an old style pack for now
2) Anton to upload his packs
3) Quest to upload some screenshots (at a pinch, I could do this as he seems to have vanished or is that zd109 now?)

I'm packing up my computer on thursday or friday eve so won't be doing anything more for at least 4-5 days after that. And I don't know when I'll have net access beyond that other than at work. So it would be nice to get a working copy before that otherwise we'll have to wait.

I haven't done anything with the CVS yet and don't really have time to look into it this week due to packing. I'll make some further changes this week Paul and email you the updated files so that you'll have the master.

Reply 138 of 192, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds a good plan. I might be able to help with Quest's stuff. I uploaded his packs, which is a start.

You can make your stuff into new style packs simply by putting everything you currently have in Textures down a level into Gambit (or whatever you wish to call your folder). Glidos will handle that with or without things like equiv and map files. Can also just bung the version equiv file in there to handle multiple versions

Reply 139 of 192, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for updating your descriptions, JC. I noticed that you made complete HTML files from Word -- although the site will strip msot of the guff out, it does leave some rubbish behind, so I updated your files.

It's probably best to just create the files in notepad using the HTML tags you need -- the files don't need to be complete HTML files they are just text files using HTML formatting. Download my updates if you want to see the difference (but backup your originals first so you can compare).