VOGONS

Good PCI Ethernet Cards for Win98?

Topic actions

First post, by Anilocin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am building my first retro build and I need some help which ethernet card I should buy.

I have bough this hardware so far:
Asus CUV4X + P-iii 733 + 512MB SDRAM + a generic s370 cooler
GF4MX 440 SE 64MB AGP
Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 PCI
Toshiba Samsung SH-D162 DVD Drive
1.44 MB FDD
Maxtor 60GB HDD
Corsair CV450 PSU
a few IDE ribbon cables

Can somebody recommend a decent (and decently priced) Ethernet Card with Win9x and 2k/XP support?

I am thankful for any responses!

Medion MD 9783 2Ghz P4 Notebook w/ Win98SE/2K/XP Multiboot

694X 733Mhz P3 Build w/ Win98SE/XP Dualboot

Reply 1 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is currently a lengthy thread about how the GeForce4 MX is a terrible card for most purposes. But that is a different matter.

Any PCI network card you can find will probably be fine; there's no need to be choosy. If you just want to pick one, then the 3COM 905B seems to be abundant.

Reply 2 of 26, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used an NE2000 compatible and an RTL8139 without issues in Win 9x days. Both were automatically detected.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 3 of 26, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a Linksys LNE100TX in mine, and I've never had any trouble with it. I recall only ever having some issues with a D-Link card years back, which caused me to stick with Linksys cards for years.
Even now, every single router in my house, wired, or wireless, is a Linksys router, and every one of them shares the same color scheme. Because it's awesome. That said, if something clearly superior became available, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it out of some misguided sense of brand loyalty.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 4 of 26, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd avoid RTL8139-type chips. They have bullet-proof drivers, but CPU usage is high. 3Com Etherlink III cards are a good bet, as are Intel and DEC-based ones. The LNE100TX is a DEC Tulip.

That applies even more with Gigabit cards, they will devour CPU cycles if you're not careful.

Reply 5 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2020-10-06, 17:02:

I'd avoid RTL8139-type chips. They have bullet-proof drivers, but CPU usage is high. 3Com Etherlink III cards are a good bet, as are Intel and DEC-based ones. The LNE100TX is a DEC Tulip.

That applies even more with Gigabit cards, they will devour CPU cycles if you're not careful.

And don't expect great performance with any Gigabit NIC under Windows 9x , no matter what settings you end up tweaking . See this thread Pentium III + Windows 98, Slow network transfers

Reply 6 of 26, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use a RTL8169S-32 based NIC (Connectland CR-GIGA-32B sometimes known as CR-CNL-GIGA-32B) in my S7 P133/i430VX rig, so far I haven't noticied any unusual behavior (or high CPU usage for that matter).

I kept it purely because of its wide array of supported OSes (it is supported from Windows 98 all the way up to Windows 10 according to Realtek's website).

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 7 of 26, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use LNE100TX cards primarily for PCI Win9x systems. They are dirt cheap.. A while back I picked up a few NIB on Ebay for $7ea shipped. They have drivers available for wide variety of legacy OS's.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 8 of 26, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Intel highly available and less troublesome in compatibility and drivers. 3Com now less available and a bit pricey, because of retro tag, and they offer better performance if your CPU is early Pentium or slower. Realtek 8139 (stay away from 8029) if you desperate to find previous two, just beware most of this cards made too cheap and often being dead, and person how trying to sell them most likely never tested them cause it's too cheap to invest time.

Reply 9 of 26, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
_UV_ wrote on 2020-10-07, 06:54:

Intel highly available and less troublesome in compatibility and drivers. 3Com now less available and a bit pricey, because of retro tag, and they offer better performance if your CPU is early Pentium or slower. Realtek 8139 (stay away from 8029) if you desperate to find previous two, just beware most of this cards made too cheap and often being dead, and person how trying to sell them most likely never tested them cause it's too cheap to invest time.

3Com PCI cards pricey? Where? I've never been able to get enough for them to make it my while to sell/ship, so I usually end up dumping them in 'best offer for this box full of crap' piles.

The ISA 3C509 cards are getting sought-after, but the 10/100MbE 905s are common as muck and valued accordingly.

Reply 10 of 26, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Buy it Now price for 3Com has gone up but if wait for a honest listing they can still be had cheap. I got 4 for £4.79 back in May and that guy had 2 other lots that went for about the same price at the time.
Also a fan of Intel Pro/100 cards
Both the above have built in drivers although your better off updating them.

Realtek RTL8139 aren´t sexy but they get the job done, cost next to nothing and drivers are really good. CPU does take a bit of a hit but I dont notice that in real life usage.
Any other brand name card that has drivers should be fine though. Ive used Netgear, Linksys, Broardcom all with good sucsess.

Reply 11 of 26, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty much the only PCI ethernet cards I've used in builds have been Realtek 8139 or Intel Pro 100. I also haven't really noticed a major hit in CPU usage with the 8139 during normal day to day usage.

Reply 13 of 26, by Anilocin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks you very much,

I've gone with a RTL 8139D because I got 2 of them for 4 Euros plus an original driver floppy.

Reply 15 of 26, by Anilocin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
douglar wrote on 2020-10-27, 02:43:

Just curious, what are you going to use the network card for? Lan gaming? File Transfers? Gestalt?

Most probably file transfer and internet. Sorry for the late reply.

Reply 16 of 26, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's getting difficult to do useful networking between Windows98 and anything built after 2010.

I have not had much luck getting Windows98 to work with most HTTPS websites lately:
https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/ … s-sites-in-2015

Windows file transfers to Win98 require SMB 1.0, which is usually turned off by default these days:
http://kishy.ca/?p=1511

And if you CPU is < 200 Mhz, you might quickly remember how CPU limitted file manipulation could be back in those days. 4x over so if something is zipped and you don't have busmaster IDE.

I usualy find it more pleasant to do the file manipulation on a faster computer and use "sneaker net"

If I got a PCI system with Win98, I'll install the USB storage drivers. For older systems, I usualy set up a front mounted CF drive and reboot between transfers.

But if you want to do Duke Nukem 3D lan on IPX, or you have an emotional attachment to winsock or something, then you definitely want your lan card in there.

Reply 17 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

These should give you some idea of potential performance and a few potential card options .

Re: Looking for Windows 95 PCI Gigabit 1000Mbps ethernet card.
https://web.archive.org/web/20210723052523/ht … t/nic-test.html

EDIT : AFAIK, all these cards (except the 4-port DFE-570 and possibly the dual-port Intel Pro/100+) have Windows 9x drivers available . My personal preference is for the 3Com 3C905 family . Realtek RTL8139 tend to be good enough as well. I would not bother with anything faster than 100Mbps (Fast Ethernet) on a 733MHz P3, but a Gigabit Ethernet card with an Intel chip (and Windows 9x driver support) would definitely not hurt performance .

Reply 18 of 26, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2021-11-23, 01:50:

It's getting difficult to do useful networking between Windows98 and anything built after 2010.

I just run a local apache server with HTTPs disabled pointed to a windows network share, then I can easily drop files in and they are all accessible easily.

At some point I will write a page to label, categories them etc.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 19 of 26, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
douglar wrote on 2021-11-23, 01:50:
It's getting difficult to do useful networking between Windows98 and anything built after 2010. […]
Show full quote

--------------------------//------------------------------------
Windows file transfers to Win98 require SMB 1.0, which is usually turned off by default these days:
http://kishy.ca/?p=1511

I use OpenMediaVault (which uses SAMBA under the hood) and the default settings of the current, fully updated, release work fine with Windows 98 SE clients, Windows 10 clients and everything that I have tested in between . I have not tried Windows 11 yet (I presume it will work), nor have I tried anything older than Windows 98 SE .