VOGONS

First post, by Macca70

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all
I’ve been dying to do a retro PC for a while now (being an oldie I started building my own back PC’s back in the early 90’s)
I have a new (super duper computa” as my wife calls it) , Zen 3 etc and as great as it is I’ve been feeling rather nostalgic about the late 90’s stuff I used to have , right about the age of the first 3d accelerators Veritè , 3dfx , TNT’s , etc and the games that came with it that absolutely blew my mind at the time , looking at GlQuake mouth wide open going “Wow bilinear filtering is soooo cool” , 🤣 😂 (and that was on a 3d Blaster Veritè in Vquake , awesomeness)
Anyway , last week , up in the loft I was and found some old games CMR , Incoming , DKII , NFS HS and 2se , Quake , Freespace , Linksls , etc etc , old PSU’s , hdd’s , a geforce 4 ti 4400 , an SB live , Cd drves/writers , an early Intel ssd , a P4 2.53 and thought , I really don’t need to buy much to do it , so watched a few of Phils Computer Labs excellent retro videos and it seems a good platform as a powerful win98 PC , I wasn’t so sure how compatible the P4 system would be but after watching his videos I was on the right track , so off to ebay I trotted and bought a P4P800 Deluxe in remarkable condition for £29 , 512mb of Micron DDR for pence , a Microsoft Sidewinder Joypad (£6) same as I had at the time and a Sidewinder 3d Pro (£9)for freespace , incoming etc.
The hard bit was finding a suitable case , they were either all knackered or waaaaay overpriced , eventually found one on Gumtree with an old Intel mobo , early P4 , 2 gig DRR , an PCI S3 Virge , a floppy and std CD Drive for £15 , I travelled 30 miles for it , I think the guy thought I was mental tbh 😂.
Threw it all together in no time and found myself a little excited and a little anxious when coming to hit the Power button for the first time as I wasn’t sure that Geforce 4 Ti was going to work and I knew that was going to be the biggest expense should I need to buy one , it’s done two house moves in and out of lofts and things chucked about on top of boxes but holy hell , it worked right off the bat , it even had an aftermarket thermaltake cooler and ram heatsinks on it which I remembered fitting when Isaw it , everything worked great installing win98 se off a USB drive , most of the games work just fine and I’ve had an absolute blast building and installing all the old stuff and getting dgvoodoo to work so I could play the glide versions.
Having a bit of stress with the sb live , it’s probably an oem one , I didnt check and don’t remember the part number but thats an easy fix if it is , it keeps kinda uninstalling itself and coming up with the exclamation mark in Device Manager , I’ll try different drivers first though , oh and the p4 cooler is a bit whiny , though I think I remember those 80mm fans being a bit like that.
Anyway , just wanted to post about the fun I’ve had doing the build and really to thank you all for all the stuff you’ve posted on this rather excellent forum (and community) that I’ve been able to browse through to refresh my memory and help me along the way.
As a lurker , that is 🙄
There are still bits to do and have been done since the pictures , took one ide drive out(noisy) and changed the ide cables for some old black Asus ones I had in the loft but it’s mostly the same , oh and the board surprised me when it came as it had a p4 2.8 800 already sat in the socket (bargain😉) , just got to wait for the sidewinders which are coming this week.
After going through the stuff in the loft , I’m also tempted to do an XP machine as I also found an Athlon 64 3200 , a 64x2 4400 an Asus A8N sli motherboard , a geforce 8800Gtx , 4 gig DDR and an XP era Coolermaster case , another early Intel 80gig ssd , a 550w PSU , , I honestly didn’t remember I still had all that stuff , oooooo more fun. 😁

Quote from wife when she heard that

“Omg how many PC’s do you need ?

My reply

😁😋😆🤣

Cheers

Lee 👍👊😁

Attachments

Build 1
Win98se
Dell Dimension XPS B866r
1.0ghz PIII
512mb 800mhz Rdram
Asus GF2 Ti 64mb

Build 2
XP System
Lian Li PC65 USB
Athlon 64 x2 4800+
Asus A8N SLI Premium
2gb Corsair XMS 2
Asus 6600GT 256mb

Reply 1 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's nothing like that feeling of a first retro build! Cheers, mate and welcome to Vogons. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 13, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Macca70 wrote on 2020-10-05, 23:09:

retro computing is like smoking crack and you just took your first hit.
best of luck to your wife.
8-P

Reply 5 of 13, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that was what my wife kept saying whenever I built another retro rig, too. She gave up asking somewhere between the 7th and 10th build I think 😉 As long as I keep most of my stuff in the basement and don't clutter the whole apartment with computers and parts, she's more or less fine with it... she has already accepted that once we move into a bigger house, I'll need a separate room dedicated to the hobby 😉

However, seems like a nice and well-balanced build you got there. Should be great fun!

My retro computers

Reply 6 of 13, by Macca70

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies and welcomes , I've really enjoyed playing the old games the last few days especially NFS HS , and DKII , even had my 14 and 18yr old stepsons asking

"WTH is that ?"

Will that work on my PC ? (Freespace 2) I built him a PC last year with more of my old stuff , x58 mobo , 12gig ram , 980ti and watercooled the whole thing and put a 6 core Xeon x5670 in it , he loves it.

My Answer

"This is a proper PC sunshine"

Already dug all the stuff out for the XP build and I've now found all my old Swiftech water cooling stuff with rad , fittings and both Gpu and Cpu waterblocks for the A64 X2 and 8800GTX , mega build 🤣 , more eye rolls from my wife incoming. 😉

Suppose I should get some work done at some point 🤣 😁

Build 1
Win98se
Dell Dimension XPS B866r
1.0ghz PIII
512mb 800mhz Rdram
Asus GF2 Ti 64mb

Build 2
XP System
Lian Li PC65 USB
Athlon 64 x2 4800+
Asus A8N SLI Premium
2gb Corsair XMS 2
Asus 6600GT 256mb

Reply 7 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have the perfect makings for a very fast Win98 PC indeed The fact it has some personal history makes it all the better.

I built a very similar PC but had to buy most the hardware. The GF4 Ti is a much better card for WIn98 then my GF 6800 Ultra which only gives me bragging rights.
P4P800 End of Win98 Support Build

You can find 2nd hand tower coolers if you want to get rid of some of the fan noise. Research at the time I came to the conclusion the Mugen 2 was one of the best performing for S478,

I was surprised how well SATA drives worked in Win98 so thats an option as well if your old IDE drives are noisy or die.

Only thing I cant help with is your wife´s question. I´ve got 13 setup and more in storage. My wife isnt impressed either but as long as I keep it contaied in my little corner. I also sell it by saying I can be down the pub doing who knows what or stay at home playing with these where you can keep an eye on me. She seems to like that idea 😉

Reply 8 of 13, by Macca70

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

chinny22
"I also sell it by saying I can be down the pub doing who knows what or stay at home playing with these where you can keep an eye on me. She seems to like that idea 😉"

Hahaha , excellent 🤣

Funny you should mention the sata compatibility , I've just tried one of those early Intel 80gig ssd's in it and it sees it just fine in compatible mode in the bios so Win98se installing on it as we speak , yay 😀

I have a few sticks of DDR lying around so could put up to 4gig in , would 98 benefit (with the rlowe patch of course) or is that just because you wanted the dual boot , I don't think I'll bother with the dual boot when I can build another full XP pc for quite a low cost.

Damn , I love that LED Ram you have , that is some retro sh*t right there 😉

Honestly , I'll get some work done today ........... ahem ! 🤣

Build 1
Win98se
Dell Dimension XPS B866r
1.0ghz PIII
512mb 800mhz Rdram
Asus GF2 Ti 64mb

Build 2
XP System
Lian Li PC65 USB
Athlon 64 x2 4800+
Asus A8N SLI Premium
2gb Corsair XMS 2
Asus 6600GT 256mb

Reply 9 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah even with the patch that much ram is a PITA for Win98. dont bother if your not installing another OS.
Even XP doesnt need 4GB but those leds....

really it´s just the ram and sexy if pointless GF6800 Ultra for Win98 that I keep the PC around.
I have better suited P3´s for Win9x and Socket 775 for WinXP but just cant bring myself to put this one in storage or part out.

Yeh this virus isn´t all bad 😉

Reply 11 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2020-10-07, 11:02:

Yeh this virus isn´t all bad 😉

I just said that it was something like creative therapy for me, seemed to do the trick 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hi all I’ve been dying to do a retro PC for a while now (being an oldie I started building my own back PC’s back in the early 90 […]
Show full quote

Hi all
I’ve been dying to do a retro PC for a while now (being an oldie I started building my own back PC’s back in the early 90’s)
I have a new (super duper computa” as my wife calls it) , Zen 3 etc and as great as it is I’ve been feeling rather nostalgic about the late 90’s stuff I used to have , right about the age of the first 3d accelerators Veritè , 3dfx , TNT’s , etc and the games that came with it that absolutely blew my mind at the time , looking at GlQuake mouth wide open going “Wow bilinear filtering is soooo cool” , 🤣 😂 (and that was on a 3d Blaster Veritè in Vquake , awesomeness)
Anyway , last week , up in the loft I was and found some old games CMR , Incoming , DKII , NFS HS and 2se , Quake , Freespace , Linksls , etc etc , old PSU’s , hdd’s , a geforce 4 ti 4400 , an SB live , Cd drves/writers , an early Intel ssd , a P4 2.53 and thought , I really don’t need to buy much to do it , so watched a few of Phils Computer Labs excellent retro videos and it seems a good platform as a powerful win98 PC , I wasn’t so sure how compatible the P4 system would be but after watching his videos I was on the right track , so off to ebay I trotted and bought a P4P800 Deluxe in remarkable condition for £29 , 512mb of Micron DDR for pence , a Microsoft Sidewinder Joypad (£6) same as I had at the time and a Sidewinder 3d Pro (£9)for freespace , incoming etc.
The hard bit was finding a suitable case , they were either all knackered or waaaaay overpriced , eventually found one on Gumtree with an old Intel mobo , early P4 , 2 gig DRR , an PCI S3 Virge , a floppy and std CD Drive for £15 , I travelled 30 miles for it , I think the guy thought I was mental tbh 😂.
Threw it all together in no time and found myself a little excited and a little anxious when coming to hit the Power button for the first time as I wasn’t sure that Geforce 4 Ti was going to work and I knew that was going to be the biggest expense should I need to buy one , it’s done two house moves in and out of lofts and things chucked about on top of boxes but holy hell , it worked right off the bat , it even had an aftermarket thermaltake cooler and ram heatsinks on it which I remembered fitting when Isaw it , everything worked great installing win98 se off a USB drive , most of the games work just fine and I’ve had an absolute blast building and installing all the old stuff and getting dgvoodoo to work so I could play the glide versions.
Having a bit of stress with the sb live , it’s probably an oem one , I didnt check and don’t remember the part number but thats an easy fix if it is , it keeps kinda uninstalling itself and coming up with the exclamation mark in Device Manager , I’ll try different drivers first though , oh and the p4 cooler is a bit whiny , though I think I remember those 80mm fans being a bit like that.
Anyway , just wanted to post about the fun I’ve had doing the build and really to thank you all for all the stuff you’ve posted on this rather excellent forum (and community) that I’ve been able to browse through to refresh my memory and help me along the way.
As a lurker , that is 🙄
There are still bits to do and have been done since the pictures , took one ide drive out(noisy) and changed the ide cables for some old black Asus ones I had in the loft but it’s mostly the same , oh and the board surprised me when it came as it had a p4 2.8 800 already sat in the socket (bargain😉) , just got to wait for the sidewinders which are coming this week.
After going through the stuff in the loft , I’m also tempted to do an XP machine as I also found an Athlon 64 3200 , a 64x2 4400 an Asus A8N sli motherboard , a geforce 8800Gtx , 4 gig DDR and an XP era Coolermaster case , another early Intel 80gig ssd , a 550w PSU , , I honestly didn’t remember I still had all that stuff , oooooo more fun. 😁

Quote from wife when she heard that

My reply

😁😋😆🤣

Cheers

Lee 👍👊😁

Hi and welcome aboard! 😀

I can definitely relate to that feeling of nostalgia and the pressing the power button for the first time 🤣
Looks like you got bit by the retro bug quite well, hope you will enjoy your journey 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!