VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi! I haven't been here in a long time. I have a Win16 emulation under DOSBox on a Win10 computer, and I'm using a standard SVGA driver for video. I want to upgrade to a special SVGA emulation and driver. How do I do that?

Joseph Rose, a.k.a. Harry Potter
Working magic in the computer community

Reply 2 of 12, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running Win16 (or Win 3.1) on a 800x600 desktop with 256 colors and a Pentium processor. What graphics emulation would you suggest? How do I change the graphics driver in Windows Setup?

Reply 3 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just like real hardware, the Win311 SuperVGA 256 color driver doesn't work on S3 cards, so maybe either change to one of the non svga_s3 options, or install the S3 Trio64 drivers.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2020-10-07, 23:33:

Just like real hardware, the Win311 SuperVGA 256 color driver doesn't work on S3 cards, so maybe either change to one of the non svga_s3 options, or install the S3 Trio64 drivers.

Hello! That's right, I think. The SVGA driver was meant for the ISA cards of 1987 to 1993, such as Tseng ET3000/ET4000, OAK OTI-67,
Paradise/Western Digital (PVGA1A/B/C, WD90Cxx), Realtek, Video Seven VEGA, etc.

If he's lucky, some of the patched SVGA drivers will work via VESA VBE, though.
Provided, that his S3 card has an usable VESA extension in VGABIOS (VBE 2.x ideally). If not, S3VBE20 utility might help.

If memory serves, there are at least two patched versions of this SuperVGA 256 color driver floating around.
One was made by Japeth, who also made that HX DOS Extender.

The other one was made especially for VMWare's synthetic VGA device by Ken Kato.
It can be found at Zamba's VMware page @ http://www.scampers.org/steve/vmware/,
which also has that very useful WQGHLT tool that prevents Windows 3.x from causing a 100% CPU usage.
For DOS, there's DOSIdle tool.. Using this SVGA patch on anything real, is hit and miss, though.

Attachments

• Filename
    wqghlt_dosidle.zip
    File size
    56.22 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File comment
    WQGHLT tool & DOSIDLE
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    win31svga-060411.zip
    File size
    15.2 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File comment
    SVGA patch for VMWare
    File license
  • Filename
    svgaptch.zip
    File size
    2.8 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File comment
    Japeth's SVGA patch - "This tool should patch svga256.drv to make it VESA compliant."
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 12, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The system I mentioned as on the DOSBox emulator on a Win10/64 laptop. I can install a SVGA driver as mentioned. I just want to know which is best on the setup given in terms of speed and functionality. I also want to know how to change the setup in Win16 Setup.

Reply 6 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Harry Potter wrote on 2020-10-08, 17:29:

The system I mentioned as on the DOSBox emulator on a Win10/64 laptop. I can install a SVGA driver as mentioned. I just want to know which is best on the setup given in terms of speed and functionality. I also want to know how to change the setup in Win16 Setup.

I see. The S3 is the "best" video for Win 3.11 at the moment.
It can do accelerate the Windows GUI and works quick on slow PCs (DOSBox using low cycles number) - if you install the S3 drivers.

Installation works by running Windows Setup
and changing graphics. You choose "other drivers" or "have disk" and insert the diskette with the driver.
Or enter the path of dtiver manually.
Drivers are available in many places, including vogonsdrivers.com, s3 legacy site etc.
For S3 machine mode, you need the S3 Trio32/64 driver. Or previously, the old 8xx driver (DOSBox v0.6x?).
Anyway, many Windows 3.1 guides/tutorials exist.

Things would be easier if DOSBox supported IBM 8514/A (or compatible, ATI Mach32?), XGA or TIGA* which Windows 3.1 has built-in support for.
Sadly, this is not the case. Because DOS games don't use these video standards (there's one Mahjongg game for 8514/A).

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-09, 10:13:

Things would be easier if DOSBox supported IBM 8514/A (or compatible, ATI Mach32?), XGA or TIGA* which Windows 3.1 has built-in support for.
Sadly, this is not the case. Because DOS games don't use these video standards (there's one Mahjongg game for 8514/A).

I guess you refer to this game: https://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Mah_Jongg_-8514-.html
As noted on the linked page, it is possible to play that game in DOSBox with the machine=svga_et4000 setting and the RIXAI 8514/A emulator software. There are multiple sources for the emulator software, such as here. You can also play Moraffware games in their 8514/A modes using the same method.

Reply 9 of 12, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harry Potter wrote on 2020-12-09, 13:39:

Uhh...How do I run Windows Setup?

Type setup at the Dos prompt or in Dos from the Windows directory.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 10 of 12, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did that, but it tried to install Windows whch was already installed. 🙁

Reply 11 of 12, by Harry Potter

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never mind; it works now. (?) Maybe I have to run it from within the Windows directory.

Reply 12 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Harry Potter wrote on 2020-12-09, 21:32:

Never mind; it works now. (?) Maybe I have to run it from within the Windows directory.

Yes, that's right. Setup must be run from within the Windows directory.
Otherwise, it won't find system.ini etc.

//My video channel//