VOGONS

First post, by Paul Galbraith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see an older post in this forum that someone was able to get Myth TFL working with dgVoodoo but I haven't had as much luck. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this recently, and can let me know if there's anything I can tweak to get things working. I'm trying Myth TFL version 1.3 on Windows 10, with dgVoodoo 2.71.1.

• The initial cutscene plays and the startup menu comes up with the dgVoodoo watermark so I know the directx part is working, but the aspect ratio isn't correct. If I specify the scaling mode as "stretched, keep aspect" the aspect ratio is corrected, but the mouse no longer works (can't see any pointer on the screen).
  • After starting a new game, the initial video cutscene plays in a small 640x480 window in the top left corner of my (2560x1440) desktop. I'm pretty sure this is a Smacker video, but I don't know if there's anything that can be done to force it to run fullscreen. After the cutscene the game returns back to proper fullscreen display.
  • When the game starts, I don't see any 3dfx watermark, though I suspect the game is using the dgVoodoo library (if I change game prefs from 3dfx -> software rendering, it's a very noticeable difference) and I have two mouse pointers overlapping (one lags just slightly behind the other). Also if I enable 3dfx splash screen, that does not appear either. (Interestingly, nglide seems to work ok, and if I have both nglide installed and vgVoodoo glide dlls in the game directory, I *do* see the 3dfx watermark.)

So I'm hoping to be able to (1) correct the directx aspect ratio and have a working mouse at the same time, (2) get cutscenes to display fullscreen, and (3) get rid of the duplicate mouse pointer. Can anyone suggest ways to do this?

Also, should I be worried about not being able to see the 3dfx watermark?

Reply 2 of 2, by Paul Galbraith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started with the 1.5 patch -- the initial menu and cutscenes don't display properly if my resolution is > 1920x1080 (see attached), the mouse is horribly shifted with this problem too (e.g. I have to click to the left of the starting "S" of "Saved Films" in order to actually click the Quit button. And, the game just dies after the first cutscene if I start a new game with OpenGL rendering. So, I tried the 1.3 patch instead. I can't get either to work with dgVoodoo, but I did finally get 1.5 to work with DxWnd (I just saw your post there about this game, ZellSF). Still, it would be nice to have another option if dgVoodoo could perform similar magic 😀.

For those interested in trying the game under DxWnd, see https://sourceforge.net/p/dxwnd/discussion/ge … ead/dd2975701d/.

Attachments