VOGONS

First post, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if this is Milliways material, but...

Anyone know of a an online store which sells such things in bulk for cheap ?
I know Dell used these things, in a rubber/plastic rounded form, for their older PC's (early 2000 etc).
But they were most likely 'proprietary' versions.

I found some other models online, but no-one have them in stock (with reasonable shipping to Europe, that is).
https://www.amazon.com/Akust-Molex-4-Pin-Conn … r/dp/B07D3Q9MTX

+ Strange that not a single chinese entity on the bay has anything like this for sale...? (packs of 10x, 50x, etc)
At least my searching skills are not sufficient it seems, but I've tried every alternate name I could think of.

(if someone has an item number for me, please divulge ! 😁 )

PS: I found this thing though, 'only' requires a 3D printer and some other skills ....😅
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:36684

Reply 1 of 9, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know it's not exactly what you're asking for but as an alternative you could try buying the other part of the connector without pins. File it down a bit and you're very similar to the rubber protector.

Reply 2 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-10-11, 21:04:

I know it's not exactly what you're asking for but as an alternative you could try buying the other part of the connector without pins. File it down a bit and you're very similar to the rubber protector.

Heh, sure, but sounds like a lot of work...as I want dozens of these things. 😅
AND, these molex connector pins can be a real pain to plug into anything, hence a basic cap would be soo much more convenient to just take on or off in a jiffy, when doing testing or whathaveyou...

I'll keep it mind though, if nothing else materializes.

Reply 6 of 9, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it could happen to a motherboard near you as well, so... better safe than sorry ? 😁
Re: What retro hardware you killed today or in the past :(. Killing spree stories+serial killers are welcome.Rest in pieces.

Reply 7 of 9, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-10-11, 22:12:

I don't see any practical use to them.

Then don't use them, but don't be critical of others using something you find useless

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 8 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, it could happen to a motherboard near you as well, so... better safe than sorry

Never heard or saw that happening to someone, unless it was made on purpose, i.e. forcefully inserted. And those caps are listed as protection from dust, which seem useless in your typical PC, maintained on regular basis and not sitting in a middle of hostile environment.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 9 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could probably just use a regular rubber cap on those and it should deform to the shape of the molex plug.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK