VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I recently got a PS/2 Model 77. The CD drive seems to work, but it isn't recognizing my disk. Is it because I burned this CD? It's full of abandonware (DOOM Shareware, Wolf3d, DUNE II, etc)

Reply 1 of 21, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming you've already got the driver, mscdex, etc. set up?
One of my old ThinkPads does read pressed CDs but not CD-Rs, as you described. I've never figured out whether it's because they are CD-Rs, or if it's a 700 vs. 650 MB issue.

Reply 4 of 21, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some early CD-ROM's drives don't like CD-R, talking about drives older then 8x
And as above the format also matters, ISO9660 guarantee's dos support

Reply 5 of 21, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We don't know if it works at all right now-- you suspect it's because it's a burned CD but you haven't tested it with standard 'pressed' CD.
Also, when inserting the CD, take note of the position of the label and see if after ejecting after a failed read if it's turned at all.

Harder to test for is if the read head moves, you can carefully push the head towards the center, or pull it towards the edge, when the tray is open. See if the head has moved after trying to read a CD.

Reply 8 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-10-12, 18:04:

How do I format as ISO9660?

I don't know why people are suggesting that, since I think a burned CD must include an ISO9660 filesystem – though it can also include other filesystems like Joliet. Your CD-burning software should provide it as an option. (ETA: You could make a UDF disc, I suppose, but you'd really have to go out of your way to do that.)

I agree that this is all a waste of time if you haven't established whether this drive will read ordinary CDs.

If you're worried about the filesystem, just burn a standard audio CD and see if that works.

Reply 10 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-10-12, 18:26:

I did it with Imgburn, if that helps.

Yes, it's just like I said: when you create an image or burn a disc from files, there's a "File System" dropdown under the Options tab, and all of the selections include ISO9660, except for the one that's just UDF.

Reply 11 of 21, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-12, 20:37:
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-10-12, 18:26:

I did it with Imgburn, if that helps.

Yes, it's just like I said: when you create an image or burn a disc from files, there's a "File System" dropdown under the Options tab, and all of the selections include ISO9660, except for the one that's just UDF.

Where's options? I don't see it in imgburn

Reply 12 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I said before: none of this really matters as your discs already most likely have an ISO9660 filesystem.

Anyway, you can see the option I am talking about at https://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/63 … burn-functions/ under section "3.3.2.1 Options".

Reply 13 of 21, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-12, 21:43:

As I said before: none of this really matters as your discs already most likely have an ISO9660 filesystem.

Anyway, you can see the option I am talking about at https://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/63 … burn-functions/ under section "3.3.2.1 Options".

Woops, I was using 2.5.8.0 🤣

Reply 15 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh geez... Did you click the link? "3.3.2.1 Options" is one of the section headings, under "3.3 Build" and "3.3.2 Options and Settings".

Last edited by Jorpho on 2020-10-12, 22:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 21, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is getting weird.

Click on https://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/63 … burn-functions/ . Scroll down to the section entitled "3.3.2.1 Options".

Clipboard01.png
Filename
Clipboard01.png
File size
24.95 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 18 of 21, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-12, 23:04:

This is getting weird.

Speaking of it, the numbering scheme made me speechless for a moment. "3.3.2.3.3.1 ISO 9660". Seriously? 😂😂
Looks like this was taken straight from Linux.
Anyway, enough off-topic stuff from me.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 21, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-10-11, 21:28:

So I recently got a PS/2 Model 77. The CD drive seems to work, but it isn't recognizing my disk. Is it because I burned this CD? It's full of abandonware (DOOM Shareware, Wolf3d, DUNE II, etc)

I get that problem a lot.
Out of 8 or 9 old 8x or 10x CD drives of the exact same make and model, only one will read burned CDR's.
That one drive that is able to read CDR's is always something of a shocker -- like "why are you the only one who can do this?"
Nothing to do with "abandonware" in my case. Just that it's not a manufacturer-pressed disc.