VOGONS

First post, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hiya all,
Has anyone tried to get the UltimaOnline Classic client working on real hardware and under Windows 98? The website says it's compatible but once I load the install wizard and after accepting the legal disclaimer it automatically skips the install location and finishes the install without installing anything except the icons.

Any ideas?

Last edited by robbo007 on 2020-02-27, 10:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 27, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Read the description of this forum "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware. " Ask in Marvin Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 27, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robbo007 wrote on 2020-02-26, 13:01:

Sorry. Can you move the post there? Or shall I repost?

Moved to Marvin -> Software.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robbo007 wrote on 2020-10-12, 20:47:

Obviously it could be out of date but I have direct X 9.0c and .netframekwork 2.o plus Windows installer 2.0.

To be clear, do you have anything nonstandard like KernelEx installed?

Reply 9 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can easily imagine that whoever made the installer never expected someone to have 512MB of RAM.

Maybe try using HimemX to restrict your RAM to something like 384, and see if that helps? It's easy enough to try.

(It's also possible that you have too much hard drive space, but in that case I would expect the installer to actually tell you that you don't have enough space, or something.)

Reply 10 of 27, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right, I setup a Vmware Windows 98 machine just to test it with lets ram and a 2gb limit on the hard disk. Fails at the same point. I guess the installed is shagged. A shame as It would be great to play it on real hardware and now as they have updated content.

If anyone gets it working please let me know.
Thanks,

Reply 11 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have the Microsoft Layer for Unicode installed? That might do it.

I might suggest trying to debug the problem with Filemon to see if the installer is looking for something that doesn't exist, but that is a bit of a longshot.

Reply 14 of 27, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

darn. no good. Same dumping out from the installer. I wish there was a way to log the installer to see exactly what is failing. I've tried it on a VMware windows 98 machine limiting the ram to 256MB and using a 2GB hard disk. Same symptoms.

Reply 15 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robbo007 wrote on 2020-10-14, 08:41:

I wish there was a way to log the installer to see exactly what is failing.

Yes, that's why I mentioned Filemon. 😉

Alternatively, if it uses something standard like Installshield, then there are unpackers available for that sort of thing.

Reply 16 of 27, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right... I'm delving into unknown territory here ..

Filemon seems to show loads of info. I can't really see anything blatant that looks like an error.

The file UOClassicSetup_7_0_24_0.exe is compressed with Winrar. Once uncompressed I see the setup.exe. This seems to be a Nullsoft Installer. (According to DIE) Using a unzipper on setup.exe I can unzip the goodies where I have two directories:

NSIS Plugins Directory (seems to have dll's and an ini file)
Windows Temporary Directory (seems to have dll's etc)

I fear I'm way to far down the rabbit hole now...

Reply 17 of 27, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to be sure: are you sure this version of the Classic Client installs under other versions of Windows? (Perhaps you can try a VM?)

robbo007 wrote on 2020-10-14, 20:54:

Filemon seems to show loads of info. I can't really see anything blatant that looks like an error.

In case it's not obvious, you should definitely close anything that might be running in the background before starting Filemon so that it isn't logging anything until you run the installer.

I fear I'm way to far down the rabbit hole now...

Unfortunately I have never tried to analyze an NSIS install script.

I was going to suggest that maybe it tries to read the system date for some reason, but if it's just NSIS, it couldn't be that exotic.

Reply 19 of 27, by gson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robbo007 wrote on 2020-10-25, 20:55:

ok... cant seem to get any further. Getting a little lost on it all. Guess its got to be a stupid little problem with the installer but not sure..

Hi, I have the same issue, did you manage to solve it?