VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 36520 of 52692, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scored today 😁 This is maybe half of what i got for about 120 usd (1200nok).

Attachments

Reply 36521 of 52692, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And there is more

Attachments

Reply 36522 of 52692, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And even more
Btw, that mouse (with joystick look) have to go to LGR oddware or something 😂

Attachments

Reply 36523 of 52692, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The multi-i/o ISA card is made for HP equipment and is desirable quality 4 layer PCB should make sensitive audio card more quieter try that experiment (buzz, pops and hums when hard drive, floppy or serial is in play ).

And this is only one of very few multi-i/o card with 4 layer PCB. Someone should make more of these 4 or 6 layers PCB ISA i/o cards.

PS: on right side, what is this model of buslogic scsi controller card? Is it good for DOS?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 36525 of 52692, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-10-18, 19:20:
The multi-i/o ISA card is made for HP equipment and is desirable quality 4 layer PCB should make sensitive audio card more quie […]
Show full quote

The multi-i/o ISA card is made for HP equipment and is desirable quality 4 layer PCB should make sensitive audio card more quieter try that experiment (buzz, pops and hums when hard drive, floppy or serial is in play ).

And this is only one of very few multi-i/o card with 4 layer PCB. Someone should make more of these 4 or 6 layers PCB ISA i/o cards.

PS: on right side, what is this model of buslogic scsi controller card? Is it good for DOS?

Cheers,

Interesting about the layers, never taught about that 😀
The model of the right card is BT-445S Rev D. You can see it on the picture even, its marked on the left end. 😀

This is not nearly all tho. But the best parts ^^
I also got a kg of ram at least, a new AT power supply, several new socket 7 heatsinks, socket 8 heatsinks, hard drives MFM, ESDI, ATA, SCSI. 5.25" floppies. joystick.
On top of the CD rom stack there is an LS-drive. So i have an LS-drive, 2 ZIP, 2 JAZ, 1 DAT, 1 DLT. I got several QIC-150 tapes, new, but have no drive for it. Now i know why the full-towers have so many 5,25" bays :p

Reply 36526 of 52692, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SVD wrote on 2020-10-18, 18:58:

And even more

That Vibra based sound card is kinda interesting, not special though. Some discussion here: Help me identify this Vibra 16 card

Reply 36527 of 52692, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2020-10-18, 21:04:

And even more

That Vibra based sound card is kinda interesting, not special though. Some discussion here: Help me identify this Vibra 16 card

Yeah, it looks good to me tho, they talked about a OPL clone in that tread. My card has a real YMF262-M at least.

Edit:
I found 3 coast modules with the bags of ram:) and this thing, what is that?
Got it! its a protection card, for schools, to make kids not able to fuck with the computers^^

Attachments

Reply 36528 of 52692, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SVD wrote on 2020-10-18, 21:16:
Yeah, it looks good to me tho, they talked about a OPL clone in that tread. My card has a real YMF262-M at least. […]
Show full quote
pan069 wrote on 2020-10-18, 21:04:

And even more

Yeah, it looks good to me tho, they talked about a OPL clone in that tread. My card has a real YMF262-M at least.

Edit:
I found 3 coast modules with the bags of ram:) and this thing, what is that?
Got it! its a protection card, for schools, to make kids not able to fuck with the computers^^

Seems similar to the so called Reborn Cards I am a bit familiar with. They were indeed intended to prevent someone hosing the install.
I should actually have a couple but I never had a use for them.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 36529 of 52692, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2020-10-15, 12:28:
I did not use any test patterns yet. The ghosting and noise are almost invisible on my monitor. It is only when I tested the OSS […]
Show full quote
cde wrote on 2020-10-15, 10:37:
darry wrote on 2020-10-15, 00:02:

After discovering that my OSSC third-party unit is not that great at above 1024x768 input (ghosting and noise), I ordered an official one from https://videogameperfection.com .

Damn you COVID-19 for making me buy a third-party unit (fast local shipping) rather than an official or Kaico built one !

Interesting! My unit could have the same issue. Were you able to characterize the problem (e.g with a test pattern)?

I did not use any test patterns yet. The ghosting and noise are almost invisible on my monitor. It is only when I tested the OSSC's output on a Datapath E1S, whith real-time zooming on preview video, that I noticed it and was able to also confirm its presence on my usual monitor . No issues are visible when the Voodoo 3 is directly connected to the monitor .

I could have tested direct VGA capture on the E1S, but the VGA cables I have are too short.

That said, if you are not going to be capturing video at above 1024×768 through the OSSC, this is practically a non issue on a 25" monitor like mine, IMHO . I am, however, too much of a perfectionist to let it slide .

EDIT:
See Re: VGA Capture Thread for some samples .

I received my new OSSC . The ghosting is still there . See this post for more details : Re: VGA Capture Thread

Reply 36530 of 52692, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SVD wrote on 2020-10-18, 18:55:

And there is more

That joystick (or whatever it is in the second photo) looks like a sex toy..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 36531 of 52692, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-10-19, 13:23:
SVD wrote on 2020-10-18, 18:55:

And there is more

That joystick (or whatever it is in the second photo) looks like a sex toy..

That is a (ball) mouse. The weirdest i have seen x) A stick with two buttons on top, and (just) one ball in the bottom part :p

Reply 36534 of 52692, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bancho wrote on 2020-10-19, 15:28:

Managed to score a Trust Korg Super Sound Module! Really happy as I've not seen one pop up on eBay yet in my time of looking. My daughterboard collection is growing nicely now.

Nice!

I only have one daughterboard - that one - and have mounted it on a Chill MIDI interface so all my PCs can share its goodness 😀

Reply 36535 of 52692, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SVD wrote on 2020-10-18, 20:53:

I also got a kg of ram at least, a new AT power supply, several new socket 7 heatsinks, socket 8 heatsinks, hard drives MFM, ESDI, ATA, SCSI. 5.25" floppies. joystick.
On top of the CD rom stack there is an LS-drive. So i have an LS-drive, 2 ZIP, 2 JAZ, 1 DAT, 1 DLT. I got several QIC-150 tapes, new, but have no drive for it. Now i know why the full-towers have so many 5,25" bays :p

Now, seems like Sandefjord(?) suddenly has 1 less hoarder - RiP.... 😂
(as this was surely his wife cleaning up!)

If you wonder what to DO with all those DRIVES!!!, here are some ideas:
Rare storage media aficionado build

Reply 36536 of 52692, by twilliamc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I made an estate sale purchase over the weekend of a P2B-DS fitted with dual P3-800's. Imagine my surprise after it posted up with no issues. After a night of wondering which case I should put it in, I settled on my old Lian-Li PC-65. It is still a work in progress as I need to install drives, fan extension cables, and the OS. Here's a photo of it on my lunch break.

20201019_134039.jpg
Filename
20201019_134039.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File comment
P2B-DS in a Lian-Li PC-65
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I am considering a dual boot of 98se and 2000. Maybe some linux flavor.

Unnamed: 486DX4 @ 120MHz, 16MB, 2GB, 2MB VGA, SBPro 2.0, DOS/W3.11, W95
PC-65:P3 @ 800MHz x2, 512MB, 128GB SSD, Voodoo3, SB Live!, Win98SE

Reply 36537 of 52692, by SVD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bestemor wrote on 2020-10-19, 20:32:
Now, seems like Sandefjord(?) suddenly has 1 less hoarder - RiP.... 😂 (as this was surely his wife cleaning up!) […]
Show full quote
SVD wrote on 2020-10-18, 20:53:

Now, seems like Sandefjord(?) suddenly has 1 less hoarder - RiP.... 😂
(as this was surely his wife cleaning up!)

If you wonder what to DO with all those DRIVES!!!, here are some ideas:
Rare storage media aficionado build

No, there is a hoarder in Tønsberg who needed more space for car parts. 😁 He still has several computers, amstrad, commodore and so on. Maybe i will contact him again later x) But I got enough for now. I kinda got stuff from 3 hoarders my self so i guess i am in that league now also x)

I want a all in one computer, with all the drives and stuff i can fit. with VIA c3 nehemiah, terratech ews64 xl and voodoo 5 for ultimate flexibility . But The tower i have right now is a cheiftec dragon. Its more 2002 (or when did that come???) than 1999/2000 which i am thinking of going for. I know that came in a beige version, that would be super^^ But 6 5 1/4" bays is actually a bit to little. only the DLT takes 2 of them.

Reply 36538 of 52692, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, not quite as retro, but here is a 2010 model that will maximize your drive space for sure.....! 😆
https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/lian_li … 77f_review.html

More models:
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/16925-tower-c … -top-to-bottom/

As I predict you will have to search for several years to find anything remotely _beige_ in this category...

Although I suspect there are none(!) - as they all used to have at least a few 3.5 hard drive bays in front.
So this below is probably the best you'll ever find, even if it is very tall you'll get about the same number of outer bays as that Chieftec Dragon one.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173853271724

At least you can get that Lian Li in aluminium silver color, which by now is more or less 'retro', heh...

Reply 36539 of 52692, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received my Amiga 600!

twKAM4Om.jpg

I already have an Amiga 500 which is in great shape, and have a bunch of addons and accessories for it... but it has always been just a bit too big to fit on my desk comfortably (particularly once I plug in the ACA500+, it ends up being very wide for my desk).

Had my eye on the Amiga 600 for a while now due to the space savings. Plus I think they look great. 😀 And the built in IDE port and PCMCIA slot is awesome in 2020. I know back in the day people were mostly upset with Commodore for releasing the 600, but I don't care about that history today. I think I definitely prefer this machine to my A500!

Decided to just spend a bit more to get one that has already been re-capped. I figured I could probably re-cap it myself... but those SMD caps can be a bit of a pain sometimes, and after watching some videos of people recapping an A600, I figured that my track record with removing SMD caps them so far on other projects has been ... not perfect (the last project I did, I ended up accidentally lifting 2 pads 🙁 ). Didn't want to end up there again with an Amiga. Meh.

The problem I have now is that none of the addons I ordered for the A600 (e.g. 1MB Chip mem expansion, Fastmem expansion, CF card stuff, WB 3.1 ROM) have even been shipped from the store I ordered them from. And I ordered all of this (including the A600) on the same day. Bah! Oh well, will make due with floppies for now.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT