VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ivantos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is anyone having success with DOSBox on a Mac? I know GOG switched to DOSBox for some installs, but many big series never got packaged for the Mac to begin with (Doom, Might and Magic King's Quest, Space Quest, etc.) and I wanted to set them up in macOS Catalina.

I've already bought 200+ games from GOG. I saw something about using innoextract but I can't find a Mac installer for it. I've got some old games working manually in DOSbox, like Indianopolis 500: The Simulation, but I'm at a loss for everything on GOG.

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you ask GOG about offering more mac versions of their games?

I'm not a mac guy but innoextract should be available on homebrew. I'd be suprised if someone hasn't already automated the process.
You can download GOG games with gorepo so it would be another step to extract with innoextract.

Of course I'm sure the above hasn't been done since likely people download an unofficial version elsewhere.....

It may be easier to use GOG Galaxy to download the games unpacked and then go from there.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by ivantos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the response--what is gorepo? Googling is not helping me.

And aha--you just told me something. I didn't realize GOG Galaxy was downloading the games unpacked. I just looked at Pool of Radiance, and I see if I open the package and go to Contents > Resources > Game there's a folder in all caps called POOLRAD, and in that it looks like I can see the DOS install. I guess what I could do, since it won't install half my games on a Mac, is install them all on my desktop PC and then copy this folder over to a DOSBox install on the Mac. (My Mac is a laptop, which is why I'm doing this.)

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
ivantos wrote on 2020-10-20, 01:46:

I guess what I could do, since it won't install half my games on a Mac, is install them all on my desktop PC and then copy this folder over to a DOSBox install on the Mac. (My Mac is a laptop, which is why I'm doing this.)

Yes, do that 😀
Otherwise DOSBox is working fine on macOS (for over a decade)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by ivantos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2020-10-20, 06:03:
ivantos wrote on 2020-10-20, 01:46:

I guess what I could do, since it won't install half my games on a Mac, is install them all on my desktop PC and then copy this folder over to a DOSBox install on the Mac. (My Mac is a laptop, which is why I'm doing this.)

Yes, do that 😀
Otherwise DOSBox is working fine on macOS (for over a decade)

Ha, I will. Thanks to you both. I guess this is why I was having so much trouble trying to figure out how to extract the files from GOG downloads with innoextract--because you don't need to, and I'm an idiot. 😁 Doh!