VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why is Warcraft 2 running fast when I upgrade my machine graphics card to Nvidia GT 710? The screen looks stutter when I run the game...

Reply 3 of 28, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Muz wrote on 2020-10-27, 17:27:

What is the alternative to solve this problem? Install the old graphic card in the second PCI slot? The game is Warcraft 2 BNE...

Still it will have enough power, why don't you limit the FPS or downclock the GPU

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 6 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know what the problem is here, but considering this is one of the most popular games of all time, I'm sure there must be a solution out there that doesn't involve "period-correct hardware".

I suggest reviewing the GOG forum.
https://www.gog.com/forum/warcraft_ii_battlen … _help_requested

It looks like disabling vsync might help.

There's also a thread at https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/g … games-might-be/ , but it's pretty old and might not apply anymore.

dr_st wrote on 2020-10-27, 17:21:

Too much power!!!

A bit of Googling suggests the GT 710 appears to be a very underpowered card.

Reply 8 of 28, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Muz wrote on 2020-10-27, 22:58:

What kind of software to use to downclock the GPU?

MSI Afterburner to downclock or to limit the FPS. If you are using the DOS version of the game, then there are many setting you could change, like change the renderer to OpenGL, then you could limit the FPS.

Reply 9 of 28, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-10-28, 04:08:

MSI Afterburner to downclock or to limit the FPS. If you are using the DOS version of the game, then there are many setting you could change, like change the renderer to OpenGL, then you could limit the FPS.

The slide has to be in negative number?

Reply 10 of 28, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Muz wrote on 2020-10-28, 04:30:
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2020-10-28, 04:08:

The slide has to be in negative number?

Yes, the core clock or the memory clock has to be negative.

If that doesn't help, then try DOSBox OpenGL thing I mentioned earlier.

Reply 11 of 28, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have played Warcraft 2 BNE on every machine imaginable, never had any stuter and speed issues. What version are you exacty using, what Windows version. Maybe using somekind of DDraw wrapper?

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 16 of 28, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmarsh wrote on 2020-10-28, 07:01:

He might be talking about the map scrolling speed, which can be too fast on modern machines even on the slowest setting.

kolderman wrote on 2020-10-28, 07:58:

Try playing on a PC that can be slowed to 386 or 486/33 speeds, if not an actual such PC.

For the record, those would be problems with the original DOS version, not the 1999 Battle.net edition made for Windows.

Reply 17 of 28, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-28, 14:38:

For the record, those would be problems with the original DOS version, not the 1999 Battle.net edition made for Windows.

It's Muz. Treat all details as tentative at best.

Reply 18 of 28, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have another problem, DELL P2214H (the NVIDIA High Definition Audio), has no sound, but my Headphones (High Definition Audio Device) has a sound, but the sound stutter a bit when playing Warcraft 2 BNE. The screen and frame rate looks ok, but only the stutter sound problem now....

Reply 19 of 28, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Muz wrote on 2020-10-28, 21:35:

I have another problem, DELL P2214H (the NVIDIA High Definition Audio), has no sound, but my Headphones (High Definition Audio Device) has a sound, but the sound stutter a bit when playing Warcraft 2 BNE. The screen and frame rate looks ok, but only the stutter sound problem now....

Is there a PCI latency setting in the BIOS? If not, then you should be able to get a Windows based PCI latency utility.

Either way, try lowering the PCI latency to 32. Normal setting is usually 64.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-29, 00:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK