VOGONS

First post, by serenitatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On my retro PC I have Windows 98 running from SD card via SD>IDE adapter. Also I have idea to install Windows XP on other SD 64Gb card and replace Win 98 from time to time. I plan to run XP not very frequently, but I have some doubts about how XP works from that card. Mainly not for speed issues (I have good high speed card), but NTFS is very extensive to RW operation and I'm not sure how long that card can last.

Is anyone here have experience to run XP from flash card? Maybe I should format it to FAT32 instead NTFS?

Reply 1 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, this is not one of my special fields, but I think that EWF thing from XP Embedded might be useful. 🙂

https://flylib.com/books/en/3.234.1.73/1/

Note that the link is a bit older and that SD-IDE converters may do report the SD card as "fixed" already.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 16, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe just configure the swap/paging file to be located on a different (non-SD) drive? That would prevent most of the wear and tear, I reckon.

Reply 3 of 16, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If one has a different (non-SD) drive, then one can just run WinXP from that drive. The thing is that IDE hard drives are becoming scarce, which is why CF/SD cards (with the appropriate IDE adapters) are a popular solution for retro PCs.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 16, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been using an IDE --> SD card adapter (Sandisk 64GB Extreme) in a Tualatin based Slot 1 setup, seems fine and speedy here, I've a mechanical 120GB drive for game installs. The consolation is that if it becomes unstable it's only a few bucks to replace.

Reply 5 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it's not worth any concern at this point. SD cards are easily replaceable and with such high capacity it won't die fast anyway.

The thing is that IDE hard drives are becoming scarce

They aren't and won't be for any foreseeable future. At least when it comes to high capacity drives (20+ Gb).

Maybe just configure the swap/paging file to be located on a different (non-SD) drive?

Which would kill the benefit of having storage device for OS with nearly instant access time.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 16, by serenitatis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jo22, thank you for link. Very interesting info. I have to try it.

And I think not swapping main problem, but NTFS logging and etc. An another hand I can really easily replace card after signs of death.

Reply 7 of 16, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-10-06, 03:04:

The thing is that IDE hard drives are becoming scarce

They aren't and won't be for any foreseeable future. At least when it comes to high capacity drives (20+ Gb).

Ha, I read that and jumped over to eBay in a panic to make sure IDE hard drives are still cheap and plentiful. They are! With so many other vintage components becoming rare and stupid expensive, it's nice to know that one's still a reliable commodity.

PCGames9505

Reply 8 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's nice to know that one's still a reliable commodity.

With how cheap and available SSDs, SDs and Compact Flashes now, obtaining old HDDs is redundant anyway.

Reply 9 of 16, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

True, and those things can be super useful. But there's also a beauty to the simplicity-through-complexity of old spinning disks... plug and play in the truest sense of the word. No fiddling required. Plus they provide the whirring and clicking which is an essential part of the experience for some. Adds to the novelty of an old machine in a day when flash memory is so ubiquitous.

PCGames9505

Reply 10 of 16, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it's nice to have these options

I wonder if, not so many years from now, there would be 1TB of ram on a computer such that you can have a whole XP machine emulated - HDD included - in a 100gb portion of ram ! I can imagine it happening

Reply 11 of 16, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2020-10-28, 09:46:

it's nice to have these options

I wonder if, not so many years from now, there would be 1TB of ram on a computer such that you can have a whole XP machine emulated - HDD included - in a 100gb portion of ram ! I can imagine it happening

There are already single CPU server boards that take 1.5 TB. A quick search on my preferred retail site for new stuff showed up the Asus Z11PA (LGA 3647).

Now you have got me wondering where I'm going to get the money for that build. At £1919 for one 128 GB DDR4 stick, I think I need to rob a bank 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 12 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if, not so many years from now, there would be 1TB of ram on a computer such that you can have a whole XP machine emulated

You already can "emulate" Win XP at blazing speeds with last gen NVME SSD. Running it fully into RAM subjectively won't feel any faster.

Reply 13 of 16, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does XP recognise NVME? I thought even 7 needs workarounds

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We're talking about VM. Apparently you can use NVME at least on Windows XP x64, but there's a possibility that it's highly unreliable. There's also possibility that some M2-to-PCI-E controllers could translate NVMe to AHCI, similar to M2-SATA adapters, but without SATA interface restrictions.

EDIT:
Oh, also it's possible that NVME will be added later to XP by enthusiasts, since OS source code was already leaked.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2020-10-28, 18:04. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 15 of 16, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i would not use a SDCard, get a 120Gb SSD and a Converter, it would have better useability.
No stalls etc.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 16 of 16, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-10-28, 17:22:

We're talking about VM. Apparently you can use NVME at least on Windows XP x64, but there's a possibility that it's highly unreliable. There's also possibility that some M2-to-PCI-E controllers could translate NVMe to AHCI, similar to M2-SATA adapters, but without SATA interface restrictions.

EDIT:
Oh, also it's possible that NVME will be added later to XP by enthusiasts, since OS source code was already leaked.

That's handy. I've bookmarked that link, thanks.