VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am trying to install drivers for my SB 2.0. I have downloaded these from the VOGONS library and they're an exact match for my card. I know this because my card came with the proper driver disks I just don't want to wear them out! It's these drivers https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fil … menustate=43,36

I write an image of the disk onto a "floppy disk" on the Gotek, just fine. However when I try to install the drivers (so I run install, choose directory and press button for start the install) I get an error message. It says:

Please insert the following disk into drive A

Disk name: SOUND BLASTER 2.0 DISK #1
Vith file: DISK.ID
Volume Label: SB20_DISK1

In DOS there is a DISK.ID file showing up in the floppy drive's directory. So it's there....

So the disk ID is getting lost when writing the image file or something?

edit: I copied the files off the proper disks onto some blank disks (Gotek) and it still does it...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 11, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've realised the SB2.0 disks are 720k DD disks and I was formatting my gotek floppies as 1.44HD. Doh.

I've also now learned (don't laugh) about diskcopy command.

So I diskcopy B to A with both disks being formatted as 720k.

Now when I run install from my new A: disk I immediately get Script Error on line 74...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The drivers from 1992-10-14 here http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php? … yle=30&f=8&t=23 are from my own original disks. I can guarantee you that they work.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 11, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds very similar to my own experience with installing Checkit 3.0 where it complained about disk id (i believe it was). In my case i had to rename the volume (after formatting) with the expected name, after which it worked. Was not possible to install from the HD itself.

Similar issue with your SB install?

Reply 5 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Unrealcpu wrote on 2020-10-30, 02:30:

I am lost as well

how do you install sb pro 2.0 drivers from a gotek floppy? The drive id is different and you cannot change the default floppy000

Is exactly why I keep a few 3.5" and 5,25" floppy drives around. There is no true modern replacement for them on certain older hardware under certain circumstances.
(is like trying to use a USB keyboard on an XT computer, somethings is just better to use the original hardware 😀)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 11, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the same problem before. What I did was disassemble the floppy disk image and take all the files out, then I built a new disk image with the correct [software] label. Re-saved the image file and it would then work for me. There seems to be an issue with that vogons library disk image from what I see, but it does work once relabeled. I believe I used Winimage to recreate the file.

I had tried both a physical floppy drive and a Gotek, both having the same issue. With the proper disk label, both work for me now.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 8 of 11, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Attached are my SB Pro 2 driver disks that I recreated.

Attachments

• Filename
    SBpro2.zip
    File size
    2.07 MiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 9 of 11, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am lost as well

how do you install sb pro 2.0 drivers from a gotek floppy? The drive id is different and you cannot change the default floppy000

If you flash your Gotek with the FlashFloppy firmware you can just copy the image files to the USB drive directly, and the original label from the image will be picked up correctly under DOS.

The only disk images I've encountered that just refuse to install are some Dynamix games such as Willy Beamish. I really don't know what kind of checks that installer does, but the only way of running it properly is from real disks.

Reply 11 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-10-30, 16:33:

I am lost as well

If you flash your Gotek with the FlashFloppy firmware you can just copy the image files to the USB drive directly, and the original label from the image will be picked up correctly under DOS.

The only disk images I've encountered that just refuse to install are some Dynamix games such as Willy Beamish. I really don't know what kind of checks that installer does, but the only way of running it properly is from real disks.

I share this point-of-view. FlashFloppy and its grandpa (HxC) are much better than the default firmware.
Thry both allow you to use "original" disk images and some low-level stuff, which the Gotek firmware has trouble with.
Plus, you can use any floppy size. The Gotek firmware supports only one floppy format correctly, 720K or 1,44MB - depending on which version you purchased.
Down-"Formatting" an 1,44MB slot to 720KB (or 360K) "works", but has many odd side-effects when software takes a closer look at the emulated floppy.
FlashFloppy on the other hand can support 360KB, 720KB, 1,2MB, 1,44MB and many more sizes - regardless of the Gotek hardware version. And it will be updated from time to time.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//