VOGONS

First post, by Osmodia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,
I recently bought a SC-55 which I connected to my Creative Soundblaster 16 CT2230.
It works great using the built in ROM Playback, I am hearing the MIDI Sound over my Speakers. So I guess the SC-55 and the wiring (SC-55 Output -> SB 16 Line In) works.

This is the Gameport MIDI cable I bought:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-8m-MIDI-nach-Joysti … eu/353122971100

Relevant parts of autoexec.bat:
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\SB16SET /P /Q

I tested DOOM and Duke Nukem 3D. Sound Canvas is selected and the Port is 330 in Duke3D Setup.
Unfortunately the connectors aren't labled at all. So during testing (via Music Card testing in Duke 3D Setup), I tried both in the MIDI 1 and MIDI 2 Input on the SC-55.

No Music, no output, nothing happens on the SC-55 Display. I already did a reset of MT-32 mode, GS Mode and All modes.

I don't know if its the cable or a bad config.
Some help would be appreciated, thanks 😉

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would bet that cable is a dud . Most of the gameportMIDI cables on Ebay are out of spec (connected straight through) and will either not work or work marginally . New old stock cables covered in molded plastic have a better chance of being actually usable . See this thread : "Quality" gameport to midi cable availability and testing

Your best bet for a newly made working gameport MIDI adapter is, IMHO, this :

https://www.serdashop.com/DB15MIDI

EDIT: Do not forget to get a DIN MIDI cable if you need one .

Reply 2 of 10, by Osmodia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the Hint. It really was the cable. I orderd the DB15MIDI Adapter and it worked instantly, after setting SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E to SET MIDI=SYNTH:2 MAP:E.
But it only works with the front MIDI Port, the Port in the Back MIDI 1 doesn't work.

Could it be muted or disabled ? I couldn't find anything related in the menu. Also I did resets of all modes, but no change.

Reply 3 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Osmodia wrote on 2020-11-05, 16:30:

Thanks for the Hint. It really was the cable. I orderd the DB15MIDI Adapter and it worked instantly, after setting SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E to SET MIDI=SYNTH:2 MAP:E.
But it only works with the front MIDI Port, the Port in the Back MIDI 1 doesn't work.

Could it be muted or disabled ? I couldn't find anything related in the menu. Also I did resets of all modes, but no change.

There should be an option that switches the port from the front to the back.

Reply 4 of 10, by Osmodia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote on 2020-11-05, 20:05:
Osmodia wrote on 2020-11-05, 16:30:

There should be an option that switches the port from the front to the back.

I hope there is one, but I couldn't find something related in the manual to rearranging the ports.

Reply 5 of 10, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See p70 of manual "Using MIDI IN1 and IN2" in the About MIDI section for scenarios where switching the MIDI IN ports can come into play.

With that said, this does not apply if you're just using your SC-55 to play game music with a Gameport-MIDI cable. In this scenario MIDI IN1 & IN2 should function the same way, and you can use either one. (The only difference between them is that IN1 also transmits on the THRU port while IN2 doesn't).

Reply 6 of 10, by Osmodia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update:
MIDI 1 was not disabled via Menu, It was a faulty photocoupler near MIDI 1.
It measured zero resistance between Anode-Cathode and vice versa.
Replaced it with a PC-410L photocoupler from Aliexpress, and it works like a charm. The original PC-410 is very hard to find and equivalent spare parts are also very rare.
This one has a lower Output Current, but still works great.

Thanks for your help.

Reply 7 of 10, by peter.ng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I facing problem when I hookup the midi cable for SC-88 to sound blaster card (SB16, awe64) .. when I launch the game or do configure the game in MS-DOS system will hang or stuck. but inside Windows no issues at all. but if I change sound card to other 1868 and ymf719 there just working fine without any issues.

Tested will 4 different sound blaster card all have same issue for me. the problem is when I use external SC-88, but if I just use wavetable card there also No problem.

Don't know anyone got facing this type of problems before?

Reply 8 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
peter.ng wrote on 2020-12-06, 09:22:
Hi all, I facing problem when I hookup the midi cable for SC-88 to sound blaster card (SB16, awe64) .. when I launch the game or […]
Show full quote

Hi all, I facing problem when I hookup the midi cable for SC-88 to sound blaster card (SB16, awe64) .. when I launch the game or do configure the game in MS-DOS system will hang or stuck. but inside Windows no issues at all. but if I change sound card to other 1868 and ymf719 there just working fine without any issues.

Tested will 4 different sound blaster card all have same issue for me. the problem is when I use external SC-88, but if I just use wavetable card there also No problem.

Don't know anyone got facing this type of problems before?

It's better to start a separate new thread for these kind of questions instead of hijacking an existing one.

It's very unlikely it's the SC-88, but more likely the cable is faulty.

Reply 9 of 10, by GuillermoXT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-10-31, 15:47:
I would bet that cable is a dud . Most of the gameportMIDI cables on Ebay are out of spec (connected straight through) and will […]
Show full quote

I would bet that cable is a dud . Most of the gameportMIDI cables on Ebay are out of spec (connected straight through) and will either not work or work marginally . New old stock cables covered in molded plastic have a better chance of being actually usable . See this thread : "Quality" gameport to midi cable availability and testing

I also have this direct wired gameport midi cable without any electronics in between. On my 486 with awe64, with a connected cable, I can play music from the sc-55 ST while playing games. But when I start the Cakewalk program I can't hear any sounds when I connect a keyboard controller to the second MIDI cable. Would the device help?

Attachments

My Retrosystems:
PIII on GA-6BA running Win98SE
AMD K6 233 on GA-586HX with Win95
Tandon 286-8MHZ Running DOS 6.22 on XTIDE-CF
M326 486DLC + 4c87dlc (Dos+Win3.11)
ECS UM4980 AMD DX2 80 5V (Dos & Win3.11)

Reply 10 of 10, by RiverBoa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GuillermoXT wrote on 2022-09-17, 18:01:
darry wrote on 2020-10-31, 15:47:
I would bet that cable is a dud . Most of the gameportMIDI cables on Ebay are out of spec (connected straight through) and will […]
Show full quote

I also have this direct wired gameport midi cable without any electronics in between. On my 486 with awe64, with a connected cable, I can play music from the sc-55 ST while playing games. But when I start the Cakewalk program I can't hear any sounds when I connect a keyboard controller to the second MIDI cable. Would the device help?

Hard to say. I've had varying luck with cable. I had one with the through port so I could hook up another joystick and the joystick would never work.