VOGONS

First post, by StormRaiser245

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. I require assistance to launch this game. I am currently using DOSBox version 0.74-3. The error message that I get constantly when I attempt to launch game: "Pro Pinball: The Web" is following:

"WEB: Internal error: Error 3 initialising CDROM routines. Press RETURN to continue..."

Be noted that I have little to no knowledge about coding and/or scripting.

Any help is welcome.

Attachments

StormRaiser245

Reply 2 of 31, by StormRaiser245

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-11-01, 16:11:

You get that error message when the game CD-ROM is not mounted, or not mounted correctly. Please see the "60 Seconds" guide in the guides section of the forum for instructions.

Ah I see... so the game requires a CD disc to work. Unfortunately: I do not have a CD/DVD drive on my PC so I guess that solves the issue.

StormRaiser245

Reply 4 of 31, by StormRaiser245

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-11-01, 17:36:

In case you didn't know, you can mount an image file of the CD in DOSBox using the IMGMOUNT command.

What files are considered as image files? bin's? And how can I mount it/them? What kind of command is required?

StormRaiser245

Reply 5 of 31, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

CUE/BIN pairs are an image, and you mount the CUE, not the BIN.

An example mount command: imgmount d theweb.cue -t iso

Again, please read the 60 Seconds guide, as it has detailed instructions.

Reply 6 of 31, by StormRaiser245

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-11-01, 18:24:

CUE/BIN pairs are an image, and you mount the CUE, not the BIN.

An example mount command: imgmount d theweb.cue -t iso

Again, please read the 60 Seconds guide, as it has detailed instructions.

I have done things exactly as the guide has instructed, but I am unable to find the install/setup file required to continue. The Web does have it, but DOSBox's Dir /w command is unable to locate it for some reason. It does find only one file that may be connected to The Web's folders [PROPIN~1] however: DOSBox says it is "illegal command" (or I may have mistyped it, because I am using Finnish keyboard and thus it may be the reason for why I can't type "[]" symbols.

Does the INSTALL.EXE and/or other The Web's folder files need to be outside the folder so that DOSBox could recognize them?

The Web folder location is on my D driver.

I apologize, I have never done this before and Indo not understand most of the things about DOSBox. It seems and feels complicated.

Last edited by StormRaiser245 on 2020-11-01, 19:21. Edited 1 time in total.

StormRaiser245

Reply 8 of 31, by StormRaiser245

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-11-01, 19:18:

Please list the exact commands you are using to mount drives and install the game.

Z:\>mount C "C:/Users/(my username. For privacy reasons, I do not reveal that name)/Documents/DOSBox stuff/Games
Drive C is mounted as local directory C:/Users/(My username. For privacy reasons, I do not reveal that name)/Documents/DOSBox stuff/Games\

Z:\>mount D "D:/" -t cdrom
MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: limited support.
Drive D is mounted as CDRom D:/\

Z:\>C:
C:\>D:
D:\>D:dir /w

Directory of D:\.
[$AV_ASW] [$RECYCLE.BIN] [BATTLE.NET] [CONFIG.MSI] [GOGGAL~1]
[LEMONA~1] [MSDOWNLD.TMP] [ORIGIN] [OVERWA~1] [PROGRA~1]
[PROPIN~1] [STARCR~1] [STARCR~2] [STEAM] [SYSTEM~1]
[VISUAL~1] [WARBLADE] [PAGEFILE.SYS]

And this is where I stopped typing anything else, because I do not know how to open the INSTALL.EXE file inside the [PROPIN~1]. I know that INSTALL.EXE must be located there, because the folder's full name is: "Pro Pinball: The Web".

Here is a little extra information about what files and folders are included in there.

Inside this: "Pro Pinball - The Web" folder can be found two other folders and one file.

First folder is "cd" which includes the files required for the CD image mounting I believe:

- THE_WEB.bin
- THE_WEB.cue

The second folder is "THEWEB" which includes all the game files I believe:

DDOS4GW.EXE
FRONTEND.EXE
GAME.ARG
GAME.CFG
GAME.EXE
GAMELOW.EXE
INSTALL.EXE
SOUND.CFG
UVCONFIG.EXE
WEB.EXE

And finally there is this file which purpose I do not know:

- Pro Pinball - The Web (1995).ba1

Last edited by StormRaiser245 on 2020-11-01, 20:19. Edited 1 time in total.

StormRaiser245

Reply 9 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This should do something:

mount C "C:/Users/whatever/Documents/DOSBox stuff/Games"
imgmount D "D:/propin~1/cd/the_web.cue" -t cdrom
d:
install

Do you understand?

This might not work if "install.exe" is supposed to be the Windows version of the installer, but judging from the compatibility list comments, that is not the case.

I also see there was some discussion thirteen years ago, but DOSBox has changed substantially in that time and the issue there might no longer be a problem.

Reply 10 of 31, by StormRaiser245

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-01, 19:57:
This should do something: […]
Show full quote

This should do something:

imgmount D "D:/propin~1/cd/the_web.cue" -t cdrom
d:
install

Do you understand?

This might not work if "install.exe" is supposed to be the Windows version of the installer, but judging from the compatibility list comments, that is not the case.

I also see there was some discussion thirteen years ago, but DOSBox has changed substantially in that time and the issue there might no longer be a problem.

Yeah I do understand.

I typed in the first two commands as you listed and I got following:

"The image must be on a host or local drive."

And you are correct, that other topic does not apply to my problem since I haven't got that "missing CD" error yet and if I do later, I already know what to do to fix it.

I apologize if I am making this unnecessarily difficult. My knowledge about DOSBox is very limited.

StormRaiser245

Reply 11 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
StormRaiser245 wrote on 2020-11-01, 20:11:

Well, that's odd. You can try:

imgmount d "d:/Pro Pinball - The Web/cd/the_web.cue" -t cdrom

But I don't see how that should make any difference.

Can you try opening the_web.cue in Notepad and post the contents here?

Also, what is your D drive? Is it a removable hard drive, or another partition?

Reply 12 of 31, by StormRaiser245

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-01, 20:38:
Well, that's odd. You can try: […]
Show full quote
StormRaiser245 wrote on 2020-11-01, 20:11:

Well, that's odd. You can try:

But I don't see how that should make any difference.

Can you try opening the_web.cue in Notepad and post the contents here?

Also, what is your D drive? Is it a removable hard drive, or another partition?

Ah, some progress at last (I think?) I got following now:

Drive D is mounted as d:/Pro Pinball - The Web/cd/the_web.cue

My C driver is SSD and my D driver is HDD. Both are build inside my PC so I THINK they are non-removable? Both are non-custom made too.

And here is the contents of cue file. It's an audio/music file I believe:

FILE "THE_WEB.BIN" BINARY
REM SESSION 01
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
INDEX 01 14:55:38
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 01 15:43:59
TRACK 04 AUDIO
INDEX 01 16:51:39
TRACK 05 AUDIO
INDEX 01 17:14:17
TRACK 06 AUDIO
INDEX 01 18:03:72
TRACK 07 AUDIO
INDEX 01 18:55:37
TRACK 08 AUDIO
INDEX 01 20:00:58
TRACK 09 AUDIO
INDEX 01 21:09:43
TRACK 10 AUDIO
INDEX 01 22:10:63
TRACK 11 AUDIO
INDEX 01 23:02:24
TRACK 12 AUDIO
INDEX 01 25:56:55
TRACK 13 AUDIO
INDEX 01 27:55:70
TRACK 14 AUDIO
INDEX 01 29:55:10
TRACK 15 AUDIO
INDEX 01 30:58:21
TRACK 16 AUDIO
INDEX 01 33:03:58
TRACK 17 AUDIO
INDEX 01 35:09:20
TRACK 18 AUDIO
INDEX 01 35:43:23
TRACK 19 AUDIO
INDEX 01 36:52:50
TRACK 20 AUDIO
INDEX 01 37:07:23
TRACK 21 AUDIO
INDEX 01 37:25:65
TRACK 22 AUDIO
INDEX 01 40:09:45
TRACK 23 AUDIO
INDEX 01 42:53:25
TRACK 24 AUDIO
INDEX 01 43:29:69
TRACK 25 AUDIO
INDEX 01 43:44:71

StormRaiser245

Reply 13 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
StormRaiser245 wrote on 2020-11-01, 20:47:

Okay, that's fine. I wouldn't have expected "d:/Pro Pinball - The Web/cd/the_web.cue" to work when "D:/propin~1/cd/the_web.cue" did not, but if it works, then it works. ("D:/propin~1/cd/the_web.cue" might work if the quotes are removed.)

So have you tried the install program?

Reply 14 of 31, by StormRaiser245

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-01, 22:27:
StormRaiser245 wrote on 2020-11-01, 20:47:

Okay, that's fine. I wouldn't have expected "d:/Pro Pinball - The Web/cd/the_web.cue" to work when "D:/propin~1/cd/the_web.cue" did not, but if it works, then it works. ("D:/propin~1/cd/the_web.cue" might work if the quotes are removed.)

So have you tried the install program?

No, I haven't because I don't know which way should I attempt to install the program: Through DOSBox command lines (which I am stuck at by the way since as I mentioned earlier: after I typed the dir /w command, I got the PROPINBALL~1 and the INSTALL.EXE file is located here: Pro Pinball - The Web/THEWEB/INSTALL.EXE) but I am unsure how can I launch the INSTALL.EXE file without opening another DOSBox.

Because that's the other way to open the file: By dragging INSTALL.EXE file to DOSBox program to begin it, although I am not sure if either way will work, because right now, I still get the same error 3 as I did at the beginning if I attempt to launch the game (by dragging any of the three files to DOSBox program: FRONTEND.EXE, GAME.EXE or WEB.EXE.) Do note that I haven't run INSTALL.EXE yet though.

I am also unsure if the "mount settings" apply, if I drag the INSTALL.EXE to DOSBox and open the program a-new unless if there is a way to save the mount settings.

Also: While installing, game has a lot of terms and words that I do not understand (such as at first phase, I must choose one: Built-in VESA or Use UNIVBE.)

StormRaiser245

Reply 15 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
StormRaiser245 wrote on 2020-11-01, 23:01:

No, I haven't because I don't know which way should I attempt to install the program:

I thought you understood the above suggestion. To reiterate: have you tried

d:
install

This is similar to the instructions you will find in the aforementioned "60 seconds" guide. That is the guide located at 60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox . You will find there is nothing about dragging and dropping install programs onto DOSBox in that guide.

Also: While installing, game has a lot of terms and words that I do not understand (such as at first phase, I must choose one: Built-in VESA or Use UNIVBE.)

This is confusing. Does that mean you already got the installer working, or what?

"Built-in VESA" should be fine.

Reply 16 of 31, by StormRaiser245

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-02, 00:10:
I thought you understood the above suggestion. To reiterate: have you tried […]
Show full quote
StormRaiser245 wrote on 2020-11-01, 23:01:

No, I haven't because I don't know which way should I attempt to install the program:

I thought you understood the above suggestion. To reiterate: have you tried

d:
install

This is similar to the instructions you will find in the aforementioned "60 seconds" guide. That is the guide located at 60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox . You will find there is nothing about dragging and dropping install programs onto DOSBox in that guide.

This is confusing. Does that mean you already got the installer working, or what?

"Built-in VESA" should be fine.

Okay, I'll do my best to explain what I have done so far before I was told/suggested to do the "mount" thing:

- I dragged the INSTALL.EXE file to DOSBox program
- I did the Installing
- After installing was finished, I dragged GAME.EXE and to DOSBox program and I got the following error: "WEB: Internal error: Error 3 initialising CDROM routines. Press RETURN to continue..."
- Then I tried WEB.EXE file, same error.
- I begun searching websites for help to this problem.
- I founded VOGONS website and started this topic.

So... I think I haven't done something I should had or I have done something wrong or both. I just don't know what and how to fix whatever I have forgotten to do and/or I did wrong.

StormRaiser245

Reply 17 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
StormRaiser245 wrote on 2020-11-02, 00:49:
Okay, I'll do my best to explain what I have done so far before I was told/suggested to do the "mount" thing: […]
Show full quote

Okay, I'll do my best to explain what I have done so far before I was told/suggested to do the "mount" thing:

- I did the Installing
- After installing was finished, I dragged GAME.EXE and to DOSBox program and I got the following error: "WEB: Internal error: Error 3 initialising CDROM routines. Press RETURN to continue..."

Okay, so: don't do that.

Please follow the instructions in my last post and see what that does.

Reply 18 of 31, by StormRaiser245

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-02, 01:15:
StormRaiser245 wrote on 2020-11-02, 00:49:
Okay, I'll do my best to explain what I have done so far before I was told/suggested to do the "mount" thing: […]
Show full quote

- I did the Installing

Okay, so: don't do that.

Please follow the instructions in my last post and see what that does.

"The image must be on a host or local drive"

I also tried to switch the C and D drivers roles (D would be the local directory and C would be CDROM) and I still got the same message.

It's like DOSBox refuses to allow either of my drivers to perform CDROM role.

StormRaiser245

Reply 19 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
StormRaiser245 wrote on 2020-11-02, 10:25:

"The image must be on a host or local drive"

You already said above that you tried the exact same command and got "Drive D is mounted as d:/Pro Pinball - The Web/cd/the_web.cue". There is no reason that using the same command should give you different results unless you are typing it wrong.