Topic actions

Reply 2380 of 5933, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RE: Betrayal at Krondor

clueless1 wrote on 2020-10-17, 16:57:

If you decide to play this game, it is speed sensitive, so your system can't be faster than a slow 486. At least on my system it works out that way. MIDI music gets jacked up if I don't run SETMUL CCD on my P200MMX, which works out to about a 16Mhz 486. I think even with FM music, the game will freeze/lock up if you get beyond about 486/33 speeds, but you'll have to try for yourself, because it may vary depending on your system. Maybe a natural 486 would play it fine at higher speeds...

I decided to try out the MT-32 and was pleasantly surprised. I was already aware that the music quality was a notch below the DreamBlaster X2, but there are some advantages:
1. The game is a little less speed sensitive, so I can run SETMUL DCD which is the equivalent of about a 486/25 or 33.
2. The music still sounds great and has more of a retro character to it while still sounding loads better than FM.
3. The games sound effects are also piped through the MT-32 and actually sound really good! Better than Sound Blaster fx.
4. I was getting some stuck MIDI notes with the X2 that don't happen with the MT-32.

So yeah, I'm sticking with MT-32 for the remainder of my playthrough.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2381 of 5933, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. Lots of improvements over the previous games. Several ways to traverse the map and fewer restrictions on how to complete your objectives. The bank level in particular was very well designed.

The game felt great until the last couple of missions where you're once again forced into scripted firefights and other mandatory sequences which defy plausibility. It kinda feels like the devs threw those levels together in a rush so they could push the game out of the door. Also, the product placement was weird, but I did enjoy seeing Athlon64 screensavers on in-game computers since I played through the game using that CPU. 😁

Anyway, I considered playing Double Agent next, but then remembered that the PC version was a buggy mess with a useless night vision mode. Think I'll just replay it on my PlayStation2 when I get the chance.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2382 of 5933, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i'm about half way through unreal (gold) playing on the p3/gf2. first time playing and i'm really enjoying it. some puzzles are twisting my head but i put that down to the big maps. my god what a soundtrack too...

Reply 2383 of 5933, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been making it my nightly routine to fire up one of the Versas/Versai and play Sierra Hoyle Card Games Solitaire and MicroLink Yahtzee, and occasionally NES Tetris on NESticle or GameBoy Tetris on VGB. That's how I relax. Sometimes the wife wants to play too. Looks like I'll have sound now too since the M/75 is down for awhile, and the P/75 has SB Compatible audio 😁.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 2384 of 5933, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-11-02, 11:19:

i'm about half way through unreal (gold) playing on the p3/gf2. first time playing and i'm really enjoying it. some puzzles are twisting my head but i put that down to the big maps. my god what a soundtrack too...

Couldn't agree more. Great game, the atmosphere, soundtrack, tension, etc. I played it back in Spring of 2018. I remember it being super long (30ish hours?) and it took me a couple of months to finish.

Reply 2385 of 5933, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's usually the NaliCastle that gets you. Two potential monster-related soft locks (that's never patched) and it's a super backtracky map.

Last edited by leileilol on 2020-11-03, 01:37. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2386 of 5933, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote on 2020-11-02, 23:51:
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-11-02, 11:19:

Couldn't agree more. Great game, the atmosphere, soundtrack, tension, etc. I played it back in Spring of 2018. I remember it being super long (30ish hours?) and it took me a couple of months to finish.

39 levels!

Reply 2387 of 5933, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:36:

it's usually the NaliCastle that gets you. Two potential monster-related soft locks and it's a super backtracky map.

i think that's one of the last ones i've played. luckily the translator was kind enough to fill in the mental gaps, i found the switches to the doors -fairly- easily. this is the one where you gotta open the underwater tunnel to finish the level, yea?

Reply 2388 of 5933, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:38:
leileilol wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:36:

it's usually the NaliCastle that gets you. Two potential monster-related soft locks and it's a super backtracky map.

i think that's one of the last ones i've played. luckily the translator was kind enough to fill in the mental gaps, i found the switches to the doors -fairly- easily. this is the one where you gotta open the underwater tunnel to finish the level, yea?

I needed help on that one, the switches were in such random locations. But it was the levels in near-darkness that followed that got to me...

Reply 2389 of 5933, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. It's the level that's shown in the opening sequence. There's a couple of parts where a Brute and a Krall can force a door to be permanently locked shut.

If Unreal level length gets to you, Return to Na Pali might suit your fancy....if you can put up with the weird awkward Legend/Heuristic ideas of monsters and weapons clashing with everything (especially the half-life inspired god AI marines) giving the 'modders' impression. The height of that expansion is the one scrapped Unreal-length Unreal level that seems to have survived the most (you'll know the level when you hear the alex banger and recognize certain parts of 97 press screens). There's a bad soft lock at the last level too 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2393 of 5933, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel the same. I think it's the level design. Duke3D and (especially) Blood have some of the best levels ever in an FPS, but I often feel like I've had enough after just a level or two as the levels are generally more involved with multiple subsections that feel like their own levels at times. Doom feels more to me like an arcade game and it's easy to just keep playing every time you reach a new level.

The plentiful hitscan enemies in the Build engine games might play a role as well.

Reply 2394 of 5933, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote on 2020-11-03, 01:41:

There's a couple of parts where a Brute and a Krall can force a door to be permanently locked shut.

I fix a lot of these in my server during the InitGame function. Though, I honestly never had softlocks happen to me during normal play so I guess I'm just incredibly lucky.

One thing I wonder though, is why the book in NaliCastle is DefaultTexture and same with the elevator leading up to the giant gasbag.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2395 of 5933, by held

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-11-03, 07:58:

Yes, it's too much maze like for my poor brain.
Doom II and Quake 1 is the sweet spot for me.

I forgot about Quake, I'm sure I have it somewhere in the attic.
Although I'm not sure if it is version 1 or 2 as I remember playing it under Windows.

newtmonkey wrote on 2020-11-03, 08:03:

I feel the same. I think it's the level design. Duke3D and (especially) Blood have some of the best levels ever in an FPS, but I often feel like I've had enough after just a level or two as the levels are generally more involved with multiple subsections that feel like their own levels at times. Doom feels more to me like an arcade game and it's easy to just keep playing every time you reach a new level.

The plentiful hitscan enemies in the Build engine games might play a role as well.

Sometimes its unclear to me where to go, and when I'm stuck or worse: 'forgot to pick up a key', then it feels like a chore. Doom is good fallback for those frustrating moments 😁

Reply 2396 of 5933, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played a bit with WinDoom on Windows 3.11 and 9x:

WDOOMSP.png
Filename
WDOOMSP.png
File size
7.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
spdoom.png
Filename
spdoom.png
File size
33.73 KiB
Views
File license
WDLAUNCH.png
Filename
WDLAUNCH.png
File size
53.97 KiB
Views
File license
windoom-june95.png
Filename
windoom-june95.png
File size
104.86 KiB
Views
File license
WDOOMSRL.png
Filename
WDOOMSRL.png
File size
8.43 KiB
Views
File license

Serial mode didn't work between Win3.11 and 98, it asked for a non-existent .dll file, didn't try network mode yet.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2397 of 5933, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
held wrote on 2020-11-03, 07:52:

Duke3d,Blood,ShadowWarrior.

Somehow I get bored after a couple of levels, so I switch it up. Strange thing is that I never had that with Doom.Anyone else feel the same ?

Doom's first episode is my jam. Knee Deep in the Dead, ahh, how I love you. I played it shareware pretty much endlessly as a kid. Weird, my parents never let me play ANYTHING even REMOTELY "mature", but DOOM was fine. I can go back to it literally any time at all and have a blast. And yes, I mean literally in the literal sense of the word.

1.) MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium 233mhz, 32mb RAM, S3 Trio64, Sound Blaster Pro 2
2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value

Reply 2398 of 5933, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Playing the Price of Loyalty expansion pack for Heroes of Might & Magic II. Awesome game, amazing soundtrack.

Also, running some Doom2 in-between the HOMM2 missions. Just to break things up a bit.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2399 of 5933, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-11-07, 11:45:

Also, running some Doom2 in-between the HOMM2 missions. Just to break things up a bit.

I've always struggled with the episodic nature of many DOS FPS like the Dooms, Quake, Duke3D, etc. When I finish the first episode, I feel like I won and the desire to continue the next episode goes away.

Well, I just realized that Betrayal at Krondor is not as speed sensitive as I thought when you use the MT-32. I'm actually playing on my 200MMX without any slowdown settings enabled. It appears to be a General MIDI thing with my X2 daughterboard. Music gets all jacked up and the game gets unstable with GM music, but not so with the MT-32.