VOGONS

First post, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am a lucky owner of an ASUS Geforce 4 4600ti,and I would like to use it with my old system Pentium 3 1ghz, 512mb Ram, and dual boot Windows 98SE - Windows Xp.
I am having issues to run 3dmark99 and 3dmark01 on Windows 98SE cause it freeze after about 30secs.
I tried two drivers, 28.32 and other one that I picked from Phil's site, but I don't Remember which one.
In Windows Xp the situation is better, I am using the 45.23 from Phil's site.
I am just trying to make it work cause I know it's an old masterpiece card and I love this retro computing.
Someone can have an idea why this card is going to freeze?
I tried disabling the agp fast write, the video cacheable from bios, but things don't go better.

Hugs to the retro-gaming lovers!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-11-05, 02:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 1 of 3, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So with the MSI GeForce4 Ti 4600, I did have some stability problems, but they turned out to be cooling related. Those cards run pretty hot, and I had replaced the noisy (and probably barely adequate) aluminum stock cooler with a Chinesium one that was definitely not adequate. I remember having artifacts and freezing in games / demos. I then installed a copper Thermaltake A1349 and those problems went away.

Only other time I've had stability problems like you're describing was with AGP ATI cards on a VIA KM400A motherboard. Those cards tested good on other systems and Nvidia cards were fine, so I think it was a chipset problem there. Think that was a documented thing with VIA and ATI as well. So I would definitely test the Ti 4600 in another system to see if the stability problems disappear.

As far as drivers go, I ended up staying with ForceWare 93.71 and was well pleased with it. Can't remember if I ever tested that card on Windows 98, but I would definitely start with ForceWare 45.23 there.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-11-05, 02:30. Edited 1 time in total.

PCGames9505

Reply 2 of 3, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maximus wrote on 2020-11-04, 16:34:

So with the MSI GeForce4 Ti 4600, I did have some stability problems, but they turned out to be cooling related. Those cards run pretty hot, and I had replaced the noisy (and probably barely adequate) aluminum stock cooler with a Chinesium one that was definitely not adequate. I remember having artifacts and freezing in games / demos. I then installed a copper Thermaltake A1349 and those problems went away.

Only other time I've had stability problems like you're describing was with AGP ATI cards on a VIA KM400A motherboard. Those cards tested good on other systems and Nvidia cards were fine, so I think it was a chipset problem there. Think that was a documented thing with VIA and ATI as well. So I would definitely test the Ti 4600 in another system to see if the stability problems disappear.

As far as drivers go, I ended up staying with ForceWare 93.71 and was well pleased with it. Can't remember if I ever tested that card on Windows 98, but I would definitely start with ForceWare 45.23 there.

So starting speaking of this nice Asus Geforce 4 4600ti, I will definately try on other system that I have, a more powerful Xp-m socket A system with cpu fixed to 2,4ghz. Unfortunately I didn't installed Windows 98se there,though.
At the moment I will sure test for Windows xp, even if I have no big issues in that operative system at the moment.
I played various games for some minutes with no artifacts/freezes.

And yes, the first thing I did is remove the default cooler, give a nice clean and re-apply the thermal paste, a great Arctic Silver 5. Here I will put some photos of the Gpu 😉

IMG-20201103-123502.jpg

IMG-20201104-101306.jpg

IMG-20201104-101320.jpg

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-11-05, 02:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.