VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 340 of 1003, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Upgraded some Windows Server VMs from 2012R2 and 2016 to 2019 over the weekend and hopefully finishing up this evening.

Nothing goes as planned.. especially when going from 2012R2 to 2016. Can't go directly from 2012R2 to 2019.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 341 of 1003, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-27, 00:09:

Upgraded some Windows Server VMs from 2012R2 and 2016 to 2019 over the weekend and hopefully finishing up this evening.

Nothing goes as planned.. especially when going from 2012R2 to 2016. Can't go directly from 2012R2 to 2019.

I went through this once. Bad idea, me and my dad several issues after upgrading. Even 2008 R2 was good enough so we reverted back.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 342 of 1003, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2020-10-27, 00:48:
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-10-27, 00:09:

I went through this once. Bad idea, me and my dad several issues after upgrading. Even 2008 R2 was good enough so we reverted back.

When we went from 2008R2 to 2012R2, pretty sure we just made new VMs from scratch and then set everything back up.

2016 to 2019 is pretty painless, even fixing stuff that broke when going from 2012R2 to 2016.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 343 of 1003, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yes. We tried 2016, no dice. 2012 R2 worked but not perfect as my dad wanted it to be. He didn’t even want to try 2019. Something went wrong with his hard disks being dynamic disks, readable and working well under 2008 but not on newer Windows server editions. Turns out seagate external hard disks were encripted. But they were working flawlessly under 2008 R2 before. Anyway, he gave up. I did not insist.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 344 of 1003, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I transferred a cloned SATA disk of my Windows 7 install from my Intel Core i7 860 machine to a AMD Ryzen 3600 + X470 I'm upgrading to. After hunting down the required drivers, it works without problems.

But then I decided to upgrade to an M.2 drive, so might do a fresh install anyways.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 345 of 1003, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made an ITX PC to live under my TV in my office for playing games leisurely whilst lounging in comfy chair.

It's got an RM OEM 1155 motherboard and it had an i3 3240 (or something) 3.4GHz and 4GB RAM with a 1GB GTX645.

It's completely fine with PS360 era games but can't really play anything well that is newer than 2013, especially at 1080p. Hardly surprising as its my 1280*1024 Windows XP graphics card.

I bought a i5 3570 for £25. The k variants and i7s still sell for silly money given their age so this seems the sweet spot for value. I also swapped in my 8GB of RAM.

I also picked up an AMD 6950 2GB for £26 which should be a big upgrade over the GTX.

Should be a neat little machine when the graphics card arrives.

rWT6izn.jpg

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 347 of 1003, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks. I'm actually looking at it's bigger brother now, the Core V21 which takes M-ATX boards as that will unlock a whole load more of my old-but-not-old parts I could put it it. It will only leave about 1cm of clearance top and bottom, and thats with removing the large 3cm feet and putting 1.5cm feet on instead.

https://www.ebuyer.com/711135-thermaltake-cor … a-1d5-00s1wn-00

What's cool about these cases is all the panels (including front) is fully modular so you can have the motherboard flat (like normal ITX and old Desktop format) or vertical like modern ATX format just by switching where the feet are and rotating the front panel and buttons. You can swap the windows, base, and 2x vented side panels to be on any side you want. The ITX version is also very cheap for an ITX case at £35 or so. It was a pleasure to build it.

Reply 348 of 1003, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was reading Ryzen 5000 reviews this morning when I should've been doing actual work. Holy smoke! They actually managed to take back the low-res gaming crown, all while running at lower clocks than Intel and using less power. As crazy as this might sound, I'm seriously thinking of selling my "old" 3900X and dropping in a 5900X.

But as I wait, I may actually do a Bulldozer/Win8.1 troll build as well. Just think: a 5GHz FX-8350 sitting right next to a 5GHz Ryzen 5900X, in identical cases. Wouldn't that be awesome?

Last edited by Standard Def Steve on 2020-11-06, 17:18. Edited 1 time in total.

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 349 of 1003, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am tempted to swap out my 3700X for a 5900X but I have no need until I upgrade my 1070ti to be honest. I also can't do it until ASUS release a BIOS update for the X470 boards which is around January time apparently. But in the mean time I'll be trying to track down a 3080 or 6800XT (or maybe even 6900XT), waiting till reviews for that.

Reply 350 of 1003, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running a 3700x on a b350 board, having been a early adopter I was previously running a 1700. The 3700x was a major upgrade but I'm at the end of the road for this board. No real need to upgrade yet unless I also upgrade my GPU. It's a Vega 56 and I might opt in for a 6000 series GPU but unsure yet. I'm happy to see AMD handily trouncing Intel on all fronts though. As a self professed fanboy this makes me happy.

Reply 351 of 1003, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2020-11-06, 16:57:

I was reading Ryzen 5000 reviews this morning when I should've been doing actual work. Holy smoke! They actually managed to take back the low-res gaming crown, all while running at lower clocks than Intel and using less power. As crazy as this might sound, I'm seriously thinking of selling my "old" 3900X and dropping in a 5900X.

But as I wait, I may actually do a Bulldozer/Win8.1 troll build as well. Just think: a 5GHz FX-8350 sitting right next to a 5GHz Ryzen 5900X, in identical cases. Wouldn't that be awesome?

That sounds like a fun idea with the bulldozer and ryzen builds

Reply 352 of 1003, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just spent my entire day restoring my iPad from scratch. I wanted to try a downgrade to see if I could run UTM, but no luck. Had to restore it afterwards. But there is a good news anyway - While reinstalling the apps and games from App Store, I found an old game remastered for iPad: Streets of Rage. Good find!

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 353 of 1003, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This would be cool. I still have my FX-9590, but my Crosshair IV-Formula-Z motherboard is toast. I don't have another Am3+ board on hand but maybe I should get one. I was able to get my chip to clock at 5ghz stable. But it was a power hungry beast for sure....

Reply 354 of 1003, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2020-11-06, 21:48:

This would be cool. I still have my FX-9590, but my Crosshair IV-Formula-Z motherboard is toast. I don't have another Am3+ board on hand but maybe I should get one. I was able to get my chip to clock at 5ghz stable. But it was a power hungry beast for sure....

Oh yeah, definitely. What was the TDP on those FX-9590s - something like 220w? I wonder if that's what killed your board.
Keep that CPU! It wouldn't surprise me if the FX-9000 chips become just as highly sought-after as the S478 P4EE in a few years. They were very much an Emergency Edition from AMD, and I don't think they sold very many.

My grand plan with an FX-8350 troll build is to do as much single-threaded benchmarking against a 5900X as possible, with both chips overclocked to 5GHz.

I mean, if you look at some of the ultra-low resolution gaming tests that AnandTech did, Zen3 is over twice as fast as the Zen+ based 2700X, which to me is absolutely mind-blowing. Zen+ was already a huge step up in performance over Bulldozer. So just how much faster would Zen 3 be than Bulldozer @ equal clocks? I think we might be looking at a Netburst to Sandy Bridge level performance uptick here...possibly even more!

Attachments

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 355 of 1003, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2020-11-07, 03:19:
Oh yeah, definitely. What was the TDP on those FX-9590s - something like 220w? I wonder if that's what killed your board. Keep t […]
Show full quote
Jasin Natael wrote on 2020-11-06, 21:48:

Oh yeah, definitely. What was the TDP on those FX-9590s - something like 220w? I wonder if that's what killed your board.
Keep that CPU! It wouldn't surprise me if the FX-9000 chips become just as highly sought-after as the S478 P4EE in a few years. They were very much an Emergency Edition from AMD, and I don't think they sold very many.

My grand plan with an FX-8350 troll build is to do as much single-threaded benchmarking against a 5900X as possible, with both chips overclocked to 5GHz.

I mean, if you look at some of the ultra-low resolution gaming tests that AnandTech did, Zen3 is over twice as fast as the Zen+ based 2700X, which to me is absolutely mind-blowing. Zen+ was already a huge step up in performance over Bulldozer. So just how much faster would Zen 3 be than Bulldozer @ equal clocks? I think we might be looking at a Netburst to Sandy Bridge level performance uptick here...possibly even more!

Yeah I'm fairly sure the 9590 is what killed the board, what happened was that the Deepcool AIO I was using actually pushed it's little glass tube out of the pump and dump coolant all over the socket. But I think it just got so warm it couldn't withstand the pressure. The cooler actually still worked afterwards but I couldn't keep it from leaking. Good news is that since it was under warranty Deepcool actually paid out and that's how I built my first gen Ryzen system. It also killed my RAM, SSD and one of my HDDs, although my GPU at that time a r9 380x survived. I've still got the board and the chip, I'll be hanging onto it for sure. It would boost and run benchmarks at 5.2ghz but was far from stable. It was BARELY stable at a 5ghz all core clock. It was fun to play with at the time though. Zen was such a gamechanger and we are still seeing the ripples from it arriving on the scene, though I still think Piledriver refresh was better than it got credit for....people are still sore over the Bulldozer launch.

Reply 356 of 1003, by lafoxxx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Had to reinstall Win10 (system began freezing after some seconds after login, quick look at event viewer didn't really help, and it probably was not caused by hardware (I disconnected my soundcard and a RAM stick, disabled overclocking and problem persisted).
First, used "restore PC to factory settings, keep my files" -- but it decided it'd be a good idea to recreate my user account, bring list of removed files, create shortcuts in Start menu -- which I didn't ask it to do -- and it spent 1 hour doing it. It also decided to look for something on all my HDDs, shortening their lifespan. I will never use this "procedure" anymore ever in my life.

Anyway, here's an Official Protip how to perform clean WIndows installation Properly™ without USB sticks:

Have at least 2 disks. In my case -- one 120 GB SSD is used _only_ by Win10 and some smaller apps you don't mind eing reinstalled. Important data (documents, music, desktop, program files) is stored on other disks
Download Win10 ISO and unpack it to some folder on the second drive
When you'll need to reinstall Windows, start your computer from Recovery partition (reboot holding Shift) and launch CMD
type: notepad
File - Open...
Go to folder with unpacked win10
File type: All files
Right click - Run the win10 installation EXE file
Install type: Clean install
Delete all partitions from win10 disk (which the Recovery OS is loaded from -- so funny it allows me to remove itself -- i make fun of this every time)
Install on Unallocated Space -- it will only take up to 15 minutes

All you'll need to do later is to change path to user folders (documents, music, desktop...), reinstall drivers, apps (on demand -- no need to install everything right away), change desktop background, disable unnecessary services... pretty sure you can use some script for this.

Jasin Natael wrote on 2020-11-07, 18:15:

I'm fairly sure the 9590 is what killed the board, what happened was that the Deepcool AIO I was using actually pushed it's little glass tube out of the pump and dump coolant all over the socket. But I think it just got so warm it couldn't withstand the pressure. The cooler actually still worked afterwards but I couldn't keep it from leaking. Good news is that since it was under warranty Deepcool actually paid out and that's how I built my first gen Ryzen system. It also killed my RAM, SSD and one of my HDDs, although my GPU at that time a r9 380x survived. I've still got the board and the chip, I'll be hanging onto it for sure. It would boost and run benchmarks at 5.2ghz but was far from stable. It was BARELY stable at a 5ghz all core clock. It was fun to play with at the time though. Zen was such a gamechanger and we are still seeing the ripples from it arriving on the scene, though I still think Piledriver refresh was better than it got credit for....people are still sore over the Bulldozer launch.

That's why I decided I would stay away from water cooling solutions -- dang ol' air still does the job good enough for me.

I also have cleaned the cooler from dust and replaced 4-year old TIM on a ThinkPad T470 -- 70 and noisy in idle turned to 70 and slient under heavy load.

Reply 357 of 1003, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lafoxxx wrote on 2020-11-07, 19:02:

That's why I decided I would stay away from water cooling solutions -- dang ol' air still does the job good enough for me.

My next build will be air cooled. They replaced the AIO with another like model so I kinda had to stick with it or buy something else....and I'm cheap 🤣.

Reply 358 of 1003, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought that it could be a decent modern activity anecdote. Well...

Yesterday at work (more like home office), I was asked to update our Moodle theme from v3.8 to v3.10 I did, but not without some big issues and pitfalls. One of them was that Moodle changed the way they did the CSS for the ATTO Editor. Result: The editor was completely unformatted. I decided to leave it for tomorrow and go for a dinner, but before I was going to bed I couldnt sleep thinking about that damn error... OCD maybe? Whatever, but my work was on my mac, in sleep mode and plugged into my TV (clamshell mode), I was watching NCIS, and feeling lazy enough not to get out of my comfy bed and get it...

Then I pulled up my iPad Pro next to me, and decided to fix it ASAP so I could sleep. I fired up the Coda Editor first. Coda Editor has a terminal, which I used to wake up the computer and do a git pull. Then I connected into my computer and was able to access and edit the SCSS files. Figured out that the migration missed a new file for the new ATTO Editor CSS formatting, so I fixed it and also a couple of minor CSS issues related to it. I had to inspect the code on Safari, so I used Inspect Browser for that. Great, the editor was fixed after a conclusive test on Safari. So back to the terminal, git commit and git push. A good night of sleep was saved. Except that I fired up Football Manager 2020 Touch, started a new career mode and now I will definitely not sleep... *sighs*.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 359 of 1003, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Managed to make one monitorless HP Compaq CQ62 out of two damaged ones I was given. The contents of the monitor-wifi antenee, microphone, web cam got fitted inside the good case. Plenty of room inside. Every component works perfectly when hooked up to an external monitor.

Attachments

• IMAG0036.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0036.JPG
    File size
    265.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉