VOGONS

Do I need 3dfx graphics?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by NSX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2020-04-29, 11:14:

I would be glad to know the list of games that you think they work better on real hardware without insisting an absolute authenticity of rendering outputs as someone would proclaim, such as the filters and dithering effects of true 3Dfx hardware.

well for some of us authenticity does matter, that's why I'm still keeping Voodoo 3 card and my old machine, the photography of something from your cellphone is of by far better technical quality than a painting of a famous painter but there are reasons why it's worth $0 unlike the painting 😀

Reply 21 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My question is any game going to look better on the voodoo 2 cards with glide than in DirectX or OpenGL with GeForce4 Ti 4600?

Yes and no. You can emulate Glide on a good level with GeForce 4 Ti card, with better color depth, resolution and other stuff like anti-aliasing, but texture filtering will be worse. Sometimes drastically worse.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 22 of 31, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should also not forget dos glide games if you want to play those. Dos glide games are the main reason I installed voodoo 2 SLI in my P3 retro pc. (On the other hand just single voodoo 1 card would be enough for those)

Reply 23 of 31, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My opinion: if you've got any PCI voodoo already: just put it in. It won't harm.

If you have to buy: think about it, are the current prices worth it? It's your call 😀

Open GLand direct 3D are handled by the Geforce better any way, so you just want glide support. I guess you could just try soft emulation first, and if it's not satisfying you could get a real voodoo instead.

I'd go for V1 or V2, because they can coexist in your computer without having to switch the cable. For dedicated V3 or banshee I'd set up another computer. That is, if you have the space for it.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 24 of 31, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oetker wrote on 2020-04-29, 10:38:

Tomb Raider, however, really is best played on a Voodoo, I don't think it supports anything but software and Glide.

Is there really not a better way to play the original Tomb Raider at this point? I guess OpenLara isn't complete yet.

I remember back when everyone was mentioning EF2000 – something about how it was one of the few games that statically-linked the 3DFX libraries and absolutely required a Voodoo 1? But it seems to have finally been forgotten.

Reply 25 of 31, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tomb Raider can be played on a variety of 3D cards from that era, not just the Voodoo.

The frame rate is best on a 3DFX card, but in terms of visual presentation, other cards can also provide decent results.

Last edited by Joseph_Joestar on 2020-10-26, 18:33. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 26 of 31, by Desomondo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The best way I've found to play the original Tomb Raider is with the OpenGL wrapper GLRage

https://github.com/ata4/glrage

This is for use on a modern-ish system however - Windows 7+, OpenGL 3.3, etc. The results are quite impressive though. Widescreen resolutions, increased draw distance, missing music from the PlayStation version, and other neat little additions. Digital Foundry did a video on it a while back.

As for Quake, Half life and Diablo 2 I think you'd be all set with Ti4600.

Win98: PII 400 | 440BX | Voodoo3 | Live + SB16
WinME: P4 HT 641 | 865G | Geforce4 Ti4400 | Audigy2ZS
WinXP: C2 Q9400 | G41 | Geforce GTX 280 | X-Fi
Win7: i7 2600K | P67 | Geforce GTX 980ti | X-Fi
Win10: R7 5800X | X570 | Radeon RX 6800 | X-Fi Titanium

Reply 27 of 31, by lafoxxx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So

3dfx is not "closer to the metal by design, and thus better than OpenGL/D3D will ever be",

but

"first 3d acceleration API developed specifically for games
which could be implemented into late '90s hardware
and this hardware wouldn't then cost thousands of dollars (like fully-OpenGL-compatible accelerators of late '90s)
but then things changed (and now full (as "close-to-metal" as 3dfx) OpenGL/D3D-compliant hardware is cheap)
but because it's the only API supported by some old games -- and only in these games it makes sense to use it (if you can't (or don't want to) use wrapper for whatever reason)"

?

Reply 28 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That depends. DOS Glide is closer to metal. All while Glide API for OS like Win9x just use less code compared to what OpenGL or Direct3D could achieve, due to being tailored for specific 3D accelerators.

Reply 29 of 31, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My favorite method of playing Tomb Raider is the Anniversary remake. Also, if you have Unreal patched to 1.26, the D3D renderer is as good as Glide, no point running it on 3dfx cards.

Dosbox ECE has Glide emulation for the old DOS Glide games.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 30 of 31, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pixel_workbench wrote on 2020-11-07, 15:14:

My favorite method of playing Tomb Raider is the Anniversary remake.

The gameplay and level design in Anniversary is very different though.

It's a fine game on its own, but I wouldn't consider it a proper replacement for the original.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 31 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My major gripe with anniversary edition would be checkpoint system which automatically refills your health after death, which makes medpacks redundant.