VOGONS

Reply 17081 of 27187, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the_ultra_code wrote on 2020-11-06, 08:03:
mastergamma12 wrote on 2020-11-06, 06:58:

Here

Again, nutty. Did you modify "modern" drivers to work on XP or did someone else do it?

Someone else, Think it was Daniel K and the folks at the Win-Raid forums.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 17082 of 27187, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is just awesome nice work my friend. I wonder if it'll work for XP pro 64 to make use of 8 or 16 gigs of RAM. I know that would be way overkill for XP but it would just be awesome none the less.

Reply 17083 of 27187, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I made this:

miro hiscore loop cable.jpg
Filename
miro hiscore loop cable.jpg
File size
566.45 KiB
Views
File comment
miro Hiscore 3D loop cable
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A proprietary loop cable for the Miro Hiscore 3D Voodoo card that I bought the other day.
Soldering this 9-pin mini DIN connector was a bit of a PITA, but the result seems to be OK, now I have to set up a test system to actually test the card.

Apart from that, I continued to install Windows 98, updates, games and other software onto my newly acquired childhood PC, the 1999 Medion MT26, Pentium II 400 MHz.

My retro computers

Reply 17085 of 27187, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ordered a pair of EIDE ISA cards from Anatek/Alltronics to see if one will sort out my 486 not liking CDROM drives. The second card is for the 486 tower I have that is all but bereft of expansion cards, and has no IDE support on the motherboard, though I will likely have to acquire more cards, since having a solitary hard drive (and requisite CDROM drive) in a system feels strange to me these days. I still need to re-DALLAS that 486 tower, as it's the worst-off of my two afflicted systems.
I've still done nothing with my first computer (AMD K6-2 300), though it could probably use a controller card in PCI form, as it hates drives larger than 20(?) GB, and most of my spares are 80GB or larger.

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 17086 of 27187, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-11-06, 12:26:

That is just awesome nice work my friend. I wonder if it'll work for XP pro 64 to make use of 8 or 16 gigs of RAM. I know that would be way overkill for XP but it would just be awesome none the less.

I don't think overkill is something foreign to us 🤣

Reply 17088 of 27187, by mastergamma12

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I swapped out the mini itx board I was using for a B450 matx board, threw in a Audigy RX and it runs just like a Audigy 4 would. Very happy.

NNH9pIh.png

The Tuala-Bus (My 9x/Dos Rig) (Pentium III-S 1.4ghz, AWE64G+Audigy 2 ZS, Voodoo5 5500, Chieftec Dragon Rambus)

The Final Lan Party (My Windows Xp/7 rig) (Core i7 980x, GTX 480,DFI Lanparty UT X58-T3eH8,)
Re: Post your 'current' PC

Reply 17089 of 27187, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Salient wrote on 2020-11-03, 20:18:

Fired up the Amiga 1200 after years of neglect.

Still works like a charm!

Nice.... Just smell it. Please. If it has the slightest smell of fish, then recap ASAP. Commodore used cheap Chinese caps in the 1990's.
If they leak, you can quickly find yourself in a situation were the machine needs an extreme makeover (if you get my drift).
Better let the old lady age with beauty, than fixing her up with some makeup, because she had skin damage.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 17090 of 27187, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spent a few hours last night working on my ThinkPads -

A) Tried to install BeOS R5 on the 560E - no dice, the machine does not seem to boot off PCMCIA ATAPI, and the boot floppy does not seem to support PCMCIA CDROMs - have to find an alternative way to get the machine to boot.

B) Tried to install OpenStep 4.2 on the machine - also no dice. The drivers support PCMCIA SCSI but not ATAPI, so that’s a no-go with the CDROM drive.

C) Looks like the ThinkPad T21 developed the BoD/blink of death issue (known fault on the machines). I think I’ll need to take it apart and check the ADP3421 power regulator chip to see if the power-good pin (pin 16?) is coming in within spec. *ugh* - time to look into SMD component level repair with a hot air pencil setup.

Reply 17091 of 27187, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received a couple blank ATX shields and I had to use the dremel to make the AT keyboard and PS/2 mouse holes for the ports. I still have to find a way to make the holes for the parallel and serial ports.

Attachments

• IMG_6705.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_6705.JPG
    File size
    588.21 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    ATX shield for AT motherboard
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 17092 of 27187, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-11-07, 14:53:

Spent a few hours last night working on my ThinkPads -

A) Tried to install BeOS R5 on the 560E - no dice, the machine does not seem to boot off PCMCIA ATAPI, and the boot floppy does not seem to support PCMCIA CDROMs - have to find an alternative way to get the machine to boot.

You can try with BeWrite from http://euc.jp/beos/beware.en.html, or using the Personal Edition would also make it easy to install BeOS.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 17093 of 27187, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I've been playing around more with my recently revived 8088 motherboard. It's fully functional now, after being a dead motherboard for about 22 years.

So I've just been playing some 80s DOS games on it to put it through it's paces. The 10MHz Siemens 8088 CPU handles stuff like After Burner II & Prince of Persia (just 2 random late 80s titles I tried) quite well and turbos down happily to 4.77MHz for earlier speed sensitive titles.

Pretty much the only issue I had was getting my CGA card working, which won't output colour. There is what looks like a potentiometer on the motherboard, but alas I don't have anything small enough to fit into it at present. I'll probably stick with VGA on this board though and leave the CGA card in my IBM XT 5160 build.

Reply 17094 of 27187, by FazzaGBR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I have been servicing a couple of 17" Acer Pentium 4 Laptops (a beast of a laptop with a built-in sub-woofer and no less than 3 fans for the CPU and GPU)!

I mixed and matched parts to get one fully working and nice looking laptop and the other one has a few scratches on the lid but no sound so needs a replacement motherboard when I get around to it.

Windows XP now installed (along with the drivers), just copying WSUS Offline to a memory stick so I can install Windows/Microsoft Updates on the laptop as the official Microsoft site (just the other week) finally stopped working - luckily I saw this coming to got WSUS Offline a few months ago 😀

My personal website blog: https://www.retrocomputing.co.uk/ and my new Retro Computing YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8UT2gm3EvNl2tvomN7reg

Reply 17095 of 27187, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just played a bit with my QEMU VMs to tidy them up for my Mac after the iPad Pro debacle. I've set up a mitmproxy from homebrew to let macOS 9.2.1 Classilla browser access some sites that require TLS > 1.1.

Now I am fighting with a slow OS X Leopard VM to bring it up too with mitmproxy.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 17096 of 27187, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After finding out the FPM chips from china for my cirrus logic 5436 is fake so I knew I had some other chips hiding in the bins of my video cards so searched for them long time and found 8 pieces of real deal at 50ns from other seller, not chinese so I'll solder them on at 2MB configuration.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 17097 of 27187, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Swapped a 9v power supply on my KVM cuz I thought the current one died. Turns out it was likely wrong polarity! The new one works fine with positive center, but not other way round. But the weird thing is the old one (some random Roland model) workes for years even though center-negative, and only stopped working last week!

Reply 17098 of 27187, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-08, 04:48:

Swapped a 9v power supply on my KVM cuz I thought the current one died. Turns out it was likely wrong polarity! The new one works fine with positive center, but not other way round. But the weird thing is the old one (some random Roland model) workes for years even though center-negative, and only stopped working last week!

Maybe the KVM works with AC, like the american NES?

Reply 17099 of 27187, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aha2940 wrote on 2020-11-08, 05:05:
kolderman wrote on 2020-11-08, 04:48:

Maybe the KVM works with AC, like the american NES?

Mmm I think it's DC cuz it says so on the box and can also be ps2 port powered ... just no mention of polarity. I don't think I even considered it originally which was silly of me. Anyway it's working fine now 😀