VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ZFR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've looked around, but couldn't find any information on this. I'd like to copy DOSBox to some Ubuntu/Mint PCs that aren't connected to the internet. The Download page from the DOSBox webpage only seems to give links to the source code tar archive as well as links to packages on various distros, but not any compiled binaries.

I've installed it using APT on my Linux Mint, then copied thendosbox executable from /usr/bin. Then used CONFIG -writeconf to generate a dosbox.conf file. Are those two files all I need or do I have to do anything else?

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you probably need to libraries that get pulled when installing using apt-get
linux is almost never just copy an executable

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 5, by ZFR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote on 2020-10-16, 10:12:

you probably need to libraries that get pulled when installing using apt-get

OK, thanks. I've got the list of dependencies; I think some of them should already be isntalled. I'll play around with it today and the weekend and see if I can get it running.

Reply 4 of 5, by MarkTheMorose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this note on my Linux Mint system that I've used to install packages on an offline machine. It requires that you have a working system with the same LM version and the same bit architecture (not relevant with LM 20, as that's 64-bit only) connected to the internet.

In synaptic you can select the packages you want to install and under the first menu there is an option to generate a script. This script will "wget" (i.e. "download") all the packages you specified that you wanted (and their dependencies), and stores them on the connected PC.

Once run you'll have all the package files needed by the disconnected computer. Carry them on a CD/USB stick and install them by sudo dpkg -i *.deb.

Hope that's useful.

Reply 5 of 5, by ZFR

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MarkTheMorose wrote on 2020-11-08, 13:56:

I have this note on my Linux Mint system that I've used to install packages on an offline machine. It requires that you have a working system with the same LM version and the same bit architecture (not relevant with LM 20, as that's 64-bit only) connected to the internet.

Thank you. This is useful. It worked on a clean install.