VOGONS

AWE64 Legacy

Topic actions

Reply 462 of 782, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How are you handling the placement of the QFP and SOIC chips? This isn’t by hand? I’m assuming you have a pick and place machine?

Reply 463 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everything by hand 😀 Two people from our project team are brilliant at soldering (not me, though).

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 464 of 782, by RayeR

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All this can be soldered at home with good solder iron and flux, fun/pain starts with BGA chips...

Gigabyte GA-P67-DS3-B3, Core i7-2600K @4,5GHz, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, GTX970(GF7900GT), SB Audigy + YMF724F + DreamBlaster combo + LPC2ISA

Reply 466 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Keatah wrote on 2020-10-17, 21:36:

Could this be made as a kit?

No. It will come in two flavors - assembled/tested product, or a naked PCB with a bracket.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 467 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P.S. However it's up to you guys if you make a group order of parts according to the BOM that will be provided later. The community is always welcome to assist in making kits available for the public!
The bare PCBs with brackets and BOM will be there.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 470 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, if you opt for a loose PCB, you should get yourself a donor CT4520.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 472 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We are not considering any other options as of now. Only assembled/tested boards and loose PCBs+brackets.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 473 of 782, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand why. And presumably CT4520 are not rare enough for it to be worth the trouble of sending you them in. At least for now 😀

Maybe by doing this you'll push the price right up and I can sell my CT4520 for a bit more!

Reply 474 of 782, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lots of compliments for the fantastic work. I hope to be able to buy one of these magnificent boards (already soldered version .. they don't do the small soldering for me 😉. I await your news on how to book / purchase. Hello and congratulations again for the fantastic work

Reply 475 of 782, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I keep watching for this! I put my entire retro-PC project on hold, waiting for this card. I'll add a dream blaster to it, and run it in Tandem with a Sound Blaster Live! and a Roland MT-32in order to cover everything from 1988 to 2000. This card is like a dream come true. I hope that this project inspires people to build new SVGA cards with Windows 3.x drivers. My AWE32 died and I had to go with one that lacks OPL chips and now Solar Winds locks up as a result (confirmed with 86box that S.W. doesn't like non-OPL.)

Also, with things in the world as they are right now, I also want to put a modem in my retro PC and build a BBS. I think we need to bring back bulletin board services.

Reply 476 of 782, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scythifuge wrote on 2020-11-11, 23:33:

Also, with things in the world as they are right now, I also want to put a modem in my retro PC and build a BBS. I think we need to bring back bulletin board services.

There are several BBS servers that are accessible over the Internet. You could use a WiModem232 or PiModem to connect a serial port on your old machine to your home's network to access them. Maybe host your own this way? Though a direct Ethernet connector may be better for higher bandwidth to support more users.

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=WiModem232

http://podsix.org/articles/pimodem/

Last edited by SScorpio on 2020-11-11, 23:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 477 of 782, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SScorpio wrote on 2020-11-11, 23:45:
There are several BBS servers that are accessible over the Internet. You could use a WiModem232 or PiModem to connect a serial p […]
Show full quote
Scythifuge wrote on 2020-11-11, 23:33:

There are several BBS servers that are accessible over the Internet. You could use a WiModem232 or PiModem to connect a serial port on your old machine to your home's network to access them. Maybe post your own this way? Though a direct Ethernet connector may be better for higher bandwidth to support more users.

https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=WiModem232

http://podsix.org/articles/pimodem/

Thank you for the information. I will definitely read into this! However, access to these BBS servers may be able to be severed, I would think. As a back up, I am thinking of getting an old-school landline.

Reply 478 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys,

Good news so far - the Release Candidate board has been assembled, briefly tested, no problems so far, so now it's already with the tester who does pre-release QA tests.
We expect to release the card very soon, it's now a matter of days. Stay tuned.

AWE64 Legacy RC_front.jpg
Filename
AWE64 Legacy RC_front.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
AWE64 Legacy RC_back.jpg
Filename
AWE64 Legacy RC_back.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
AWE64 Legacy RC_top.jpg
Filename
AWE64 Legacy RC_top.jpg
File size
980.5 KiB
Views
File license
AWE64 Legacy RC_bracket.jpg
Filename
AWE64 Legacy RC_bracket.jpg
File size
692.36 KiB
Views
File license

AWE64 Legacy