VOGONS

Common searches

iPad Windows Alternative ?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is NONE.

Even Apple has come to realize the Logitech folio type keyboard combo with the iPad is a Success.
Where is the Windows Alternative to this design ?

There is NONE.

The MS-Surface is too BIG and TOP heavy . The Kick stand is not a good solution for a mobile tablet.
The MS-keyboard sucks.

Are you listening Lenovo, Dell, and HP ?.....

The tablet needs to be about 9.5 inches and lighter than the iPad with a folio type keyboard.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2020-11-12, 03:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 109, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

iPad is good for what it does.... We Windows users generally want something that is better all around. Tablets pretty much suck for the most part.

If I want something portable, I'll get something like a 13" 2-in-1 for general stuff and if I need more power I'll get something with more power.

Oh yeah.... folio type keyboards suck big time.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 109, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-11, 16:28:

Even Apple has come to realize the Logitech folio type keyboard combo with the iPad is a Success.

It's even better if you combine it with a wireless mouse, amirite?
http://thedoghousediaries.com/4557

Reply 3 of 109, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Intel486dx33,

Is this a legit post with no ulterior motive or do you actually want to have a discussion?
Your posts seem to follow a specific theme which is why I'm asking.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 109, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Years ago I picked up a Winbook TW801 -- it works well for general tablet purposes. I have a folio keyboard case for it. I rarely use it anymore except for when I travel via plane to business related functions. It is smaller than a laptop, but still features a full OS. The CPU isn't fast, but it gets the job done for business related web functions and some of the corporate apps I need that are Windows based. I paid around $100 for it.

I'm sure there are plenty of newer tablets like this out there in the $100-$300 price range. Probably give Aliexpress or TaoBao a look. They are more popular in Asian markets.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 109, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-11-11, 16:49:

Oh yeah.... folio type keyboards suck big time.

Well only the Android tablets use this folio type keyboard too.
But I dont use android.

A 9-inch Microsoft tablet with a folio type keyboard seems to be what is missing in the MS-Windows market.
And this simple combination has been a BIG success for the iPad which is currently eating away at the PC laptop sales.

Reply 6 of 109, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wiretap wrote on 2020-11-11, 17:25:

I'm sure there are plenty of newer tablets like this out there in the $100-$300 price range. Probably give Aliexpress or TaoBao a look. They are more popular in Asian markets.

I bought an Amazon Kindle Fire for well under $100 earlier this year. People seem to dump on them a lot, but I could hardly ask for anything more. (Well, except that it can't run Pokemon Go.)

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-11, 17:29:

And this simple combination has been a BIG success for the iPad which is currently eating away at the PC laptop sales.

PC laptops can do a lot of things that tablets cannot. For now, at least.

Reply 9 of 109, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

iPads are just a toy. I'm sorry, but my ThinkPad L390 Yoga beats those by far, because it's a business convertible and not just a glorified screen with a battery.

It comes with an integrated Wacom tablet, a pen with 4096 pressure points, can be upgraded to 64GB of RAM and it's pretty lightweight for its size. Very easy to disassemble and repair, too.

With this thing I can be creative and productive by having multiple VM's, Chrome tabs and the whole Adobe suite opened at the same time. All while connected to two external 4K screens at 60fps. And guess what - I can even install apps without being restricted to an app store.

It even has a Trackpoint and a mouse pointer that works in every app and not just selected ones. 😈 Killer feature!

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 10 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The iPad is not a toy. I can do my entire web design and front-end programming work straight out of the iPad easily. There are ways to do productive work on it.

I've seen a MS Surface Book once at work when one of my clients came with one in our meeting room last year. I tried it for a few minutes and while indeed it is good material, but it's Intel and has Windows 10 (eeewwwww). MS needs to get their act and do a decent ARM version of their OS.

Anyway, both the iPad and the Surface can do the same job as tablets or 2-in-1 devices. Both are not a toy and can be used at work by creatives, designers and media professionals. Even programmers can use them. I know that because I am coding my own new website out from zero on my iPad Pro. It took years for Apple to come with mouse support for the iPad Pro, but I end up using the touch instead of the mouse all the time. Since I got this iPad, I started to spend much more time on it than I do on my MacBook Pro. If the new Apple Silicon MacBook Air had the ability to detach the screen and be used as like an iPad, it'd have been one hell of a killer 2-in-1 machine, because now on Big Sur it can run iPad apps too.

I can give credit to Microsoft for the Surface models, I was interested for a while. But I can't because of the material Apple and Microsoft used on their keyboards, with 2 years of usage they're already ripped. Logitech, Brydge and Libra have better models, especially Libra, makes the iPad look almost like a MacBook. I might be tempted to look after a Logitech Folio.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 11 of 109, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2020-11-12, 02:37:

I've seen a MS Surface Book once at work when one of my clients came with one in our meeting room last year. I tried it for a few minutes and while indeed it is good material, but it's Intel and has Windows 10 (eeewwwww). MS needs to get their act and do a decent ARM version of their OS.

You know they tried that already, right? I wouldn't expect that to happen again.

Reply 12 of 109, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the MS tablet supports Blue Tooth there isn't any issue all. My iLuv Blue Tooth keyboards work on Windows, iOS, Android and Linux. Two cost less than $NZ30

Attachments

• IMAG0024.JPG
    Filename
    IMAG0024.JPG
    File size
    320.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2020-11-12, 06:17. Edited 2 times in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 13 of 109, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Modern Asus Eee PC everybody.....

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 14 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote on 2020-11-12, 05:08:

You know they tried that already, right? I wouldn't expect that to happen again.

Hi, yes but I said “decent”. The current incarnation of their ARM OS is far from being good and useable.

Yes, I wouldn’t expect that to happen again too in a short term, but in a long term, with Apple being successful at transitioning to ARM, Microsoft might rethink its strategy and join the ARM bandwagon.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 15 of 109, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-11-11, 17:29:

A 9-inch Microsoft tablet with a folio type keyboard seems to be what is missing in the MS-Windows market.

Have you got evidence of this or is it just your own opion?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 16 of 109, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even programmers can use them. I know that because I am coding my own new website out from zero on my iPad Pro.
[...]
but I end up using the touch instead of the mouse all the time.

Sure, you're coding a complete website on a touchscreen just because it's so good.

Now you're just messing with me, man. I was doubtful at first, but I'm starting to believe you really are a troll. 😁

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 17 of 109, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like them a little larger... more around 11-12" and with a more sturdy keyboard base so I can adjust the screen and lift it easily without it falling apart.
another plus would be if it had full size USBs, hdmi out, maybe a SD card reader... oh and headphone jack.

wait, I just described my laptop, nvm. 😁 :p

Last edited by imi on 2020-11-13, 01:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 109, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-11-12, 13:30:

Even programmers can use them. I know that because I am coding my own new website out from zero on my iPad Pro.
[...]
but I end up using the touch instead of the mouse all the time.

Sure, you're coding a complete website on a touchscreen just because it's so good.

Now you're just messing with me, man. I was doubtful at first, but I'm starting to believe you really are a troll. 😁

And I'm starting to believe that you really want to be stupid or is just trying to troll me.

Here's the breakdown for the stupid ones:

I have an iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 2017, with 64GB and only Wifi. Smart keyboard and Apple Pencil included. The apps used to code my actual website were:

- Coda Editor: connect to my Amazon Web Services instance to access the files and code them. Coda Editor also has features to help coding and preview the pages.
- Prompt 2: Excellent access to the AWS terminal for CLI stuff.
- Vectornator: Excellent tool to design and prototype pages when Adobe is (expletive) crap at Photoshop and X.D for iOS. I can export them to Adobe X.D on mac whenever I need, but with my clients, I almost never need to do that - I just export to PDF for them, because 99% of my clients do not have Adobe X.D.
- Pixelmator: Same as Vectornator.
- Safari iOS, ofc is my browser of choice, I only test on Safari. I couldn't care less for Google and Firefox, f(expletive) them.
- Inspect Browser, a good app to inspect the code and access the console for the browser.
- Slack, Gmail, or Microsoft Teams: To connect with my team and talk to them as well as share files between.
- Web based JIRA Cloud: Access to my tickets and tasks.

Do I have your attention now? You should research before accusing me of being a troll. And if it wasn't for the COVID-19 pandemic, I'd be typing this right now in a Starbucks. *middle finger*

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 19 of 109, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Benefits of a small tablet is that it is mobile. You can take it anywhere.
Set it up on your lap, couch , bed or table.

Long battery life and simple.

People don’t need laptops anymore.

You can do just about everything on a tablet.

This is why the iPad is so popular.

It is simple and responsive, quick and easy to use.

You don’t have to reboot it or wait for updates to install.

It goes to sleep mode and wakes up instantly.

Has a built in battery as an UPS.

With a detachable folio keyboard you can easily replace it when you want a different color or when it breaks.

The folio keyboard design with strong magnets is actually very sturdy and easy to type with.
easy to carry to.